Dance Singles (was: Re: NGCBD)

  • ally@hybrid-group.co.uk
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2001
      > - a lot of big-name singles buy record shelf space in big CD shops. If
      > when you walk into a Virgin Megastore, the most prominent single on
      > display is Geri Halliwell and not Westlife (for example), it's not because
      > Virgin reckon Geri will sell more CDs- it's because Geri's
      > promotion/record label have booked & paid the chain for the most prominent
      > placing.

      Hehe....I always mess things up for these peeps then.

      Whenever Hybrid have just released something, and I'm in either HMV or
      Virgin (normally trying hard not to buy CDs or vinyl).....I can't resist
      taking as many Hybrid CDs / 12"s as I dare and placing them in the most
      prominent positions. It ends up looking like Virgin are really backing them.
      I thought that they'd notice after a little while, but it normally stays
      like that for a few days (I work near a Virgin, it's hard not to go in). I
      can normally get quite a few singles/albums sold that way - if it's infront
      of people, they tend to pick them up to have a look.

      (as I'm writing this, I'm wondering if my love of Hybrid's music is going
      too far!!)

      Ally
    • stuart.bruce@aardman.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2001
        HybridUK@yahoogroups.com writes:
        >Whenever Hybrid have just released something, and I'm in either HMV or
        >Virgin (normally trying hard not to buy CDs or vinyl).....I can't resist
        >taking as many Hybrid CDs / 12"s as I dare and placing them in the most
        >prominent positions.

        I don't think this is necessarily going too far... I've done the same for
        other bands.

        I believe that there are people in London who get paid by promotion
        companies to keep going into shops before a release date and keenly asking
        to know when a record is coming out, to e-mail radio stations and place
        requests under various different names, and to quietly shift a few copies
        to more prominent places in the store while nobody's really looking.

        So while maybe you're not going too far, you should perhaps be getting
        paid for your troubles... <grin>.

        Stuart.

        --
        Stuart Bruce
        stuart.bruce@...
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2001
          > (as I'm writing this, I'm wondering if my love of Hybrid's music is going
          > too far!!)

          I do love Hybrid's work, but rest assured you're the ultimate fan, promoting them free and all! :)

          -antti
        • Ally Shuttleworth
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2001
            > I do love Hybrid's work, but rest assured you're the ultimate fan,
            promoting them free and all! :)

            Hehe....well, I've been doing it for a few years now.

            Many of my friends think I'm crazy...I just love their music and want
            to support them as much as I can in what they're trying to acheive.

            Mike and Chris are really lovely people, very down to earth - they're
            very successful and quite well-known these days, yet they refuse to
            bow to the commercial machine. They make and play the music they want
            to...I have a lot of respect for them for that.

            I'm just one person of many that give them dedicated support. The
            guys at Distinct'ive are top people.

            Bringing Hybrid's music to people puts a smile on my face :)

            Ally
          • Philip Stewart
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 1, 2001
              --- Ally Shuttleworth <ally@...> wrote:
              > Bringing Hybrid's music to people puts a smile on my
              > face :)

              What I like is when I casually mention what I'm
              listening to when talking on the phone or over the net
              to a friend, with the aim of introducing them to
              Hybrid's great music, is to hear them unexpectedly say
              'Hybrid! There wicked! Which one are you listening
              to?' or something similar, or better still when one of
              my friends asks *me* if I've heard of them - before I
              even mention anything ... it keeps happening on a
              fairly regular basis :-)

              As for bringing Hybrid's music to people's ears, I
              ruthlessly plug on a weekly basis with my radio show
              :P

              --
              From Phil