Need an introduction to Hybrid

  • Stuart Bruce
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 20, 1999
      Evenin' all.

      On October 17th I'm going to the Musik gig in Newcastle, with Faithless,
      Hybrid, Groove Armada & Paul Van Dyk- anyone else from this list going
      to be there?

      Anyway, I must admit that while I'm quite well up on Faithless and
      Groove Armada, I know next to nothing about Hybrid- the only thing I
      have is the "If I Survive" single.

      So my point is, what's the best way I could find out more about Hybrid?
      I've seen their new album in the stores, is there another album or is
      this their first? Is there a discography somewhere? etc.etc.etc. Any &
      all info appreciated.

      Stuart.

      --
      Stuart. Sig to follow.
    • ally@xxxxx.xx.xx
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 20, 1999
        Hi Stuart!

        What's this gig on the 17th then?? Have you got all the details...could you send them to the list? I only live in York and would love to go :-)

        Hybrid...they're from Swansea...and are amazing to see live.

        I went to Creamfields last month and saw them.

        Their new album called 'Wide Angle' came out very recently and is def. worth getting.

        Probably their most famour tune is 'Finished Symphony' which is one of my favourites tunes of all time. You can find it on a lot of compilations around at the moment.

        Hybrid have been going for quite a while...and are only just being recognised for their talent.

        They seem to have a very enthusiastic label behind them - Distinctive Records.
        If you go to http://www.distinctiverecords.com - you can find biographies, samples of tracks, images, a forum (all for Hybrid) and you can even buy some of their stuff online.

        Hybrid are also well-known for doing some very good mixes of tunes - e.g. Alanis Morissette, Montano Trumpetman, Carl Cox etc. etc.

        I am trying as hard as I can to get them on vinyl, with no success as yet :-(

        Anyway....if you need to know more, give us a shout...

        Let me know the details of that gig will ya!

        Cheers,

        Ally

        >On October 17th I'm going to the Musik gig in Newcastle, with Faithless,
        >Hybrid, Groove Armada & Paul Van Dyk- anyone else from this list going
        >to be there?
        >
        >Anyway, I must admit that while I'm quite well up on Faithless and
        >Groove Armada, I know next to nothing about Hybrid- the only thing I
        >have is the �If I Survive� single.
        >
        >So my point is, what's the best way I could find out more about Hybrid?
        >I've seen their new album in the stores, is there another album or is
        >this their first? Is there a discography somewhere? etc.etc.etc. Any &
        >all info appreciated.
        >
        >Stuart.
        >
        >--
        >Stuart. Sig to follow.

        "like Hotmail but faster and a lot better"
        Carol Vorderman, The Mirror, writing about http://www.funmail.co.uk
      • Stuart Bruce
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 20, 1999
          On Mon 20 Sep, ally@... wrote:
          > Hi Stuart!
          >
          > What's this gig on the 17th then?? Have you got all the
          > details...could you send them to the list? I only live in York and
          > would love to go :-)

          OK, that's too twisted a coincidence. I'm in York myself. Heworth area,
          where're you?!

          > Hybrid...they're from Swansea...and are amazing to see live.
          >
          > I went to Creamfields last month and saw them.
          >
          > Their new album called 'Wide Angle' came out very recently and is def.
          > worth getting.

          I remember noting it 'cos I saw the "limited" 6 x 12" version as well,
          which I thought was a novel idea although probably "for fans only"

          Ta for the info, I look forward to checking it out.

          In the meantime, here's my slightly-drunk attempt at typing out the
          advert in this week's Melody Maker:

          MUSIK awards Tour '99

          FAITHLESS
          Groove Armada
          Hybrid DJ Paul Van Dyk

          Mon 11 Oct Birmingham Sanctuary
          Tue 12 Oct London Astoria
          Wed 13 Oct Norwich UEA
          Fri 15 Oct Cardiff University
          Sat 16 Oct Sheffield Octagon*
          Sun 17 Oct Newcastle University

          *- Paul Van Dyk does not appear at Sheffield

          Credit card hotline: 0115 912 9115

          That's all I know, except that I've already got my tickets, I ordered
          them on that hotline and they arrived about two weeks later. All tickets
          13 quid (plus booking fee) except London 15 quid. That's about all I
          know, although feel free to ask if you've any other questions... Musik
          magazine have been advertising that for a few months now, but Melody
          Maker etc. have just started carrying it. I'm looking forward to it,
          since I already know that Faithless and Groove Armada have done some
          amazing material, and Hybrid and Paul Van Dyk sound promising as well...

          Speak to you later,

          Stuart.

          --
          Stuart Bruce
          stuart@...
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 21, 1999
            >OK, that's too twisted a coincidence. I'm in York >myself. Heworth area,
            >where're you?!

            hehe - I was doing my driving test there yesterday!
            I live in Upper Poppleton (near Acomb).

            >I remember noting it 'cos I saw the �limited� 6 x 12� version as well,
            >which I thought was a novel idea although probably �for fans only�

            Really? Where did you see it?

            The Misik Tour looks very good - I'll get my tickets booked!

            Btw, Sky TV seem to be using Hybrid's music a bit recently - I saw an ad for 'Gattica' last night and they had 'Finished Symphony' playing over the top.

            It's good that they're getting some recognition at last!

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 21, 1999
              On Tue 21 Sep, ally@... wrote:
              > > OK, that's too twisted a coincidence. I'm in York >myself. Heworth
              > > area, where're you?!
              >
              > hehe - I was doing my driving test there yesterday! I live in Upper
              > Poppleton (near Acomb).

              Small world, really. Maybe we should meet up sometime, argue about music
              tastes...?

              It would be good going considering I set up the Utah Saints mailing list
              nine months ago now, and so far no-one on it has met anyone else- mind
              you a large number of them are in America, but there you go.

              > > I remember noting it 'cos I saw the �limited� 6 x 12� version as
              > > well, which I thought was a novel idea although probably �for fans
              > > only�
              >
              > Really? Where did you see it?

              The HMV in the centre of York. Near the back, at the front of the
              "dance" section, on the display rack next to a variety of other 12"
              singles etc. The Hybrid one originally caught my eye because of the
              price (15.99-ish) which stood out from the 3.99-etc. that's being asked
              from the other records on the rack.

              > The Misik Tour looks very good - I'll get my tickets booked!
              >
              > Btw, Sky TV seem to be using Hybrid's music a bit recently - I saw an
              > ad for 'Gattica' last night and they had 'Finished Symphony' playing
              > over the top.

              I only get Sky One, but I'll look out for that one.

              > It's good that they're getting some recognition at last!

              On that note, is there anybody else on this list? I've been lurking for
              a short time without saying anything, has anyone else been doing the
              same?

              Stuart.

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 21, 1999
                I've now got that Ltd edition record.

                It's actually the album and on 3 x 12".

                >On that note, is there anybody else on this list? I've been lurking for
                >a short time without saying anything, has anyone else been doing the
                >same?

                Yeah - I only started this list a while back - no-one so far has ventured to say anything...even when I've asked a question :-)