Word from Nick Warren on Hybrid's Radiohead Mix

  • vinnie970@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 30, 2001
      This is a post from Nick Warren regarding the Hybrid Mix of
      Radiohead's "Everything in It's RIght Place."

      "the hybrid mix was played to radiohead and they liked the mix BUT
      will not be releasing the mix."

      good luck finding that one...maybe a promo will surface.

      VH.
    • keliher@msn.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 30, 2001
        Screw Radiohead. That mix is excellent and blows doors off the
        original. I understand they won't even press one promo record, so it
        will never get into the hands of the DJs. There will be no record of
        the song even existing. Gee, at least press some promos for the dance
        floors and see the response, it just might go up those dance charts.
        Well, at least, Hybrid played it live at Chamjam and Labyrith with
        the latter a 'studio' sound, so us, fans,could make a tape or burn a
        CD with the cut. Now, I have a good clean song thanks to Hybrid, in
        kind, and no thanks to Radiohead. I wish Hybrid would do the same for
        the promo song Clubbed to Death. I have a cut of it from a dj set,
        but it was recorded in a club, the first part of the song is missing
        so it's pretty useless. I heard that's a CDR promo.

        Craig

      • krip420@iwon.com
        Message 3 of 13 , May 1, 2001
          Wa sup ! I got a hold of these traxx and am wondering if they are completed
          (i.e: Hybrid - Chamjam 3-9-01 (53 min) ... is it 53 min or is it longer
          ???
          Please advise so I can go find the complete mix and not half of it.
          Here's what i got:
          Nu Skool Breaks - Rennie Pilgrem - live @ Friction (49 min)
          Nu Skool Breaks - Various - Hybrid - Galaxy Network Mix (60 min)
          Hybrid - Live Mix (70 min)
          Hybrid - Live at 1015 SFCA (58 min)
          Hybrid - Live in Tokyo (54 min)
          Hybrid - Live @ Chamjam 3-9-01 (53 min)
          Hybrid - Live @ Innercity 11-12-99 (49 min)
          Hybrid - Live Mixset on Beatfreq (44 min)

          Love, Peace & Breaks ! \o/ \o/ -o- \o/
          Jose - Florida / USA /\ /\ /\ /\
        • Stuart Bruce
          Message 4 of 13 , May 1, 2001
            I'm going to play devil's advocate here...

            Radiohead haven't really done anything wrong, and getting angry against
            Radiohead or slagging the original version off isn't likely to acheive
            anything (although indicating to Radiohead in a _good_ way that you'd
            like to get the mix might or might not help).

            Radiohead aren't obliged to spend money sending out promo copies of a
            remix that they didn't ask for and which doesn't really "represent"
            Radiohead. Radiohead aren't really "about" remixes, and I wouldn't be
            surprised if their whole anti-Radio1 thing that happened recently is
            vaguely related to that as well.

            This is a very different situation to Alanis Morrissette & "So Pure";
            Alanis Morrissette asked for and paid for the mix, got a fantastic mix,
            and then buried it. As I understand it, Hybrid did the Radiohead remix
            of their own volition, and Radiohead don't have to do anything with it.
            Even saying they _like_ it is as good as you can probably often hope for
            if you do an uncommissioned mix.

            That said, I'm pretty sure that sooner or later, a 'clean' copy will
            appear somewhere, and get heard by people who are keen enough to try to
            find it. After all, the "So Pure" remix was extremely difficult to find
            for months, and is now a lot more easily heard.

            Stuart.

            --
            Stuart Bruce
            stuart@...
            Message 5 of 13 , May 2, 2001
              > Screw Radiohead. That mix is excellent and blows doors off the
              > original. I understand they won't even press one promo record, so
              > it will never get into the hands of the DJs.

              This one would be ripe for a RAAPB Vol 2 (unmixed this time!) don't
              you think ? At least they don't mind the remix so would probably
              allow it on such an album, unlike another artist I could mention....

              > I wish Hybrid would do the same for the promo song Clubbed to
              > Death. I have a cut of it from a dj set,
              > but it was recorded in a club, the first part of the song is
              missing so it's pretty useless. I heard that's a CDR promo.

              ...and again. (which set was it ?)

              Cheers
              David
            • Stu Bruise
              Message 6 of 13 , May 3, 2001
                On 1 May 2001, at 19:09, Stuart Bruce wrote:

                > Radiohead aren't really "about" remixes, and I wouldn't be
                > surprised if their whole anti-Radio1 thing that happened recently is
                > vaguely related to that as well.

                They've been remixed in the past, though; LFO, Steve Osborne and
                UNKLE have all rerubbed "Planet Telex", for example, and Fila
                Brazillia and Zero 7 have done the same to "Climbing Up The
                Walls". Speaking of which...

                > As I understand it, Hybrid did the Radiohead
                > remix of their own volition, and Radiohead don't have to do
                > anything with it. Even saying they _like_ it is as good as you can
                > probably often hope for if you do an uncommissioned mix.

                The Zero 7 mix of "Climbing Up The Walls" was uncommisioned; a
                studio engineer mate of theirs gave them the vocal track and they
                rejigged it without Radiohead's consent or knowledge. The band
                liked it so much, they gave it an official release, and so Zero 7's
                career got off to a flying start.

                On the other hand, there's a Perfecto mix of "Street Spirit (Fade
                Out)" which was never officially released; I'm not sure if it was
                originally a bootleg or not, but I'm pretty sure that if it was,
                Radiohead heard it and turned it down. Didn't stop it from turning up
                on white label, though; hopefully the same will happen with Hybrid's
                mix (or mixes -- as I've said before, they played a 4/4 mix at the
                Cavern and I can't remember whether the one they played in the
                Chamjam set was 4/4 or breaks) :)

                ~~stu
              • propellerheadcase@hotmail.com
                Message 7 of 13 , May 3, 2001
                  I agree that slagging off a prefectly good band because they have
                  chosen not to sanction a remix is absolutely their prerogative -
                  whether they commissioned it originally, or not - moreso if they did
                  not commission it. But to say that Radiohead are not about remixes
                  would be to ignore, amongst others, 'Planet Telex' the Hexidecimal &
                  LFO mixes also the Karma Sunra version. There is also, apparently, a
                  DepthCharge remix, which I would be quite keen to hear (assuming that
                  it is DepthCharge).

                  This does bring up another point, however, assuming that most groups
                  pick from a number of remixes, per release, why is there so much
                  absolute crap around? Particularly, why do people keep letting DJ
                  Tonka remix stuff? His remixes of B-52s', 'Love Shack' (one of the
                  best pop-songs ever IMHO) and Salt 'n' Pepa's 'Push it' are
                  diabolical, and not in a Beelzebeat/Devil in a Sports Casual kinda
                  way!

                  (Character assassination is the basis of a good murder-mystery
                  script:^)

                  A1

                  The Music is the Life...
                  ...and It Shall be Ours.

                • stuart.bruce@aardman.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 4, 2001
                    E-mail sent from work; please don't reply to my work address unless urgent.

                    HybridUK@yahoogroups.com writes:
                    >But to say that Radiohead are not about remixes
                    >would be to ignore, amongst others, 'Planet Telex' the Hexidecimal &
                    >LFO mixes also the Karma Sunra version. There is also, apparently, a
                    >DepthCharge remix, which I would be quite keen to hear (assuming that
                    >it is DepthCharge).

                    Not being a Radiohead fan, I stand corrected about the "not about remixes"
                    comment.

                    >This does bring up another point, however, assuming that most groups
                    >pick from a number of remixes, per release, why is there so much
                    >absolute crap around? Particularly, why do people keep letting DJ
                    >Tonka remix stuff? His remixes of B-52s', 'Love Shack' (one of the
                    >best pop-songs ever IMHO) and Salt 'n' Pepa's 'Push it' are
                    >diabolical, and not in a Beelzebeat/Devil in a Sports Casual kinda
                    >way!

                    It seems to me that some bands are getting fewer remixes made, because
                    less mixes will fit onto commercial releases than would be the case four
                    years ago or so. Back in '95-ish the Shamen got about 20 different mixes
                    of "Transamazonia" done, and 14 were on the commercial CDs alone. In '99
                    Hybrid got about 6 (?) different versions of "If I Survive" and released
                    them all across the CD and 12". I think there are fewer remixes being
                    'buried' now.

                    DJ Tonka's name probably sells- there are probably clubs out there who
                    would be influenced towards playing a mix if it had DJ Tonka's name on it,
                    even if some people don't like it. It's very mainstream- it's the Todd
                    Terry syndrome. For years, Todd Terry mixes were just the Todd Terry
                    trademark beat with whichever-song's vocal laid over the top of it. People
                    with home computers could have put those mixes together- but certain DJs &
                    clubs see Todd Terry mixes as reliable mainstream and popular club
                    versions, so will want to play them- so a lot of people buy releases for
                    the Todd Terry mixes. That's why Todd Terry gets paid so much per remix-
                    it's a brand name.

                    When a band pays for a Hybrid remix, they don't just do it for the piece
                    of music they receive. They also buy temporary use of the Hybrid name-
                    meaning that dedicated Hybrid fans (like us) will buy the release and the
                    band will earn back the money they spent on the remix in the first place.

                    Equally... when Alanis Morrissette refused to allow "So Pure" onto "Remix
                    and Additional Production...", I don't believe that it was purely because
                    she didn't like the piece of music (although I guess that's possible)- it
                    is likely to also have been because she (or her representatives) decided
                    that she/they didn't want the Alanis Morrisette 'brand name' diluted by
                    being used elsewhere. It's not publicity that is going to significantly
                    benefit Alanis Morrissette, or Radiohead, whereas lesser-known artists
                    like Monk & Canatella and Vernon's Wonderland, or more open-minded or
                    remix-minded artists like Moby, Filter and Future Sound Of London, would
                    see inclusion as more relevant and useful to that artist's image.

                    Sadly, it's not just about the music.

                    Stuart.

                    --
                    Stuart Bruce
                    stuart.bruce@...
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 4, 2001
                      Mr. Bruce, a thoroughly considered response I must say! But is their
                      really a point in buying a sucky (gotta love American slang) mix just
                      because a "name" remixed it? I mean, spending money on a mix by
                      someone who does a Picasso (Picasso was known to have signed a number
                      of blank sheets of paper each morning before breakfast and allowed
                      other people to doodle on the pages - nice;-}) that you'll never play
                      because it's just so bad seems somewhat counterproductive - but then
                      there are those who will rave about a tune purely because of where
                      it's played or who played it out not because of any actual merit to
                      the mix itself, eh? ...and Todd Terry did do some some good mixes -
                      'Missing' was good, IMHO. But DJ Plonka (;-}) just manages to rip
                      the soul and melody out of a tune, plops a ponderous 4/4 on it and
                      legs it to the bank - gotta hate that - when did he ever do anything
                      sufficiently good to become a drawcard name?

                      As we all know a Hybrid mix will always be at least good, even if the
                      source material is mediocre, I dunno, Albion, Air springs to mind.

                      But, I s'pose, A&R are guilty of playing it safe too - whose idea was
                      it to have Eiffel 65 remix Kool & the Gang for their Anthology? I
                      mean, C J Mackintosh, Frankie Knuckles, even David Morales or Fatboy
                      Slim would've done a better job - what were they thinking?

                      A1

                      The Music is the Life...
                      ...and It Shall be Ours.

                    • Antti Mutta
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 7, 2001
                        Thank god it didn't get an official release. That's one out-of-tune piece of pompous Oakenfold trance.

                        > On the other hand, there's a Perfecto mix of "Street Spirit (Fade
                        > Out)" which was never officially released; I'm not sure if it was
                        > originally a bootleg or not, but I'm pretty sure that if it was,
                        > Radiohead heard it and turned it down. Didn't stop it from turning up
                        > on white label, though; hopefully the same will happen with Hybrid's
                        > mix (or mixes -- as I've said before, they played a 4/4 mix at the
                        > Cavern and I can't remember whether the one they played in the
                        > Chamjam set was 4/4 or breaks) :)
                        >
                        > ~~stu
                        >

                        > ------------------------------
                        > The Hybrid Discussion Group
                        > http://www.hybrid-group.co.uk

                      • Stuart Bruce
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 7, 2001
                          On Sat 05 May, propellerheadcase@... wrote:
                          > Mr. Bruce, a thoroughly considered response I must say!

                          Thank you. One tries one's best. :-)

                          > But is their really a point in buying a sucky (gotta love American
                          > slang) mix just because a "name" remixed it? I mean, spending money
                          > on a mix by someone who does a Picasso that you'll never play
                          > because it's just so bad seems somewhat counterproductive

                          Well, as it happens I've got the DJ Tonka mix of B52s' "Love Shack 99"
                          in my collection (funny old world) so I've just listened to it in order
                          to have a little bit more grounding in this argument...

                          While the DJ Tonka mix isn't to my taste, it's definitely not so bad
                          that nobody would ever play it. It's a quite Todd Terry-reminiscent
                          attempt to keep most but not all of the vocal structure of the song and
                          put a happy-handbag-house backing onto it. It's passable, and I imagine
                          that there are probably quite a lot of house-cheese-orientated clubs and
                          parties out there who would love this mix because the original doesn't
                          blend into anything. I bet it's been played in clubs, and has done the
                          job for which it was intended.

                          I think you might be being a little subjective and precious because
                          you're a fan of the original track and not that particular remix, but
                          that doesn't mean that the B52s or their management agreed with you
                          after getting the remix.

                          > ...and Todd Terry did do some some good mixes - 'Missing' was good,
                          > IMHO.

                          Some of Todd Terry's mixes may have been good, but a lot of them were
                          remix-by-numbers.

                          > But DJ Plonka (;-}) just manages to rip the soul and melody out of a
                          > tune, plops a ponderous 4/4 on it and legs it to the bank - gotta
                          > hate that - when did he ever do anything sufficiently good to become
                          > a drawcard name?

                          I don't know anything about DJ Tonka so all I can comment on is his
                          remix of "Love Shack 99". If I have any other mixes of his in my
                          collection, they haven't immediately sprung to mind.

                          Commissioning a remix is always going to be a bit of a gamble, because
                          it seems to me that the original artists don't have all that much input
                          into a remix any more- the money and the parts are handed over, and then
                          a few weeks later the remix is returned and that's it, like it or hate
                          it, release it or bury it.

                          There's inconsistency even in Hybrid's mixes, which from the ones I've
                          heard have ranged from being OK-but-nothing-special, to being downright
                          fantastic.

                          Stuart.

                          --
                          Stuart Bruce
                          stuart@...
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 7, 2001
                            >There's inconsistency even in Hybrid's mixes, which from the ones I've
                            >heard have ranged from being OK-but-nothing-special, to being downright
                            >fantastic.

                            The ones I've heard range from awful to brilliant.
                          • propellerheadcase@hotmail.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 7, 2001
                              I'm in a trainspotting mood... Awful? To which mix(es) do you
                              refer? ...and is the "awfulness" anything at all to do with
                              chronology?

                              I just got the '96 re-release of DJ's Rules 'Get Into the Music', the
                              Hybrid remix of which is pretty good and, as far as I can figure, one
                              of their earlier remixes and as such much, much lighter on that
                              distinctive (pun only slightly intended) breaks sound, in fact I
                              don't think there's really a break at all - the most prominently
                              Hybrid thing about the mix is the stuttering of the vocal
                              reverbs, 'cause otherwise it sounds a bit like UCC...

                              No, wait, there it is, a break, a good one, @ 6:48, nice build and...
                              back to 4/4:-{

                              ...and now I'm listening to Kriminal 'Loud 'n' Proud' (the CD appears
                              to only have the Dub Mix - why is it that dubs are usually less
                              interesting?) and am wondering why there is relatively little break
                              in a track that was already breakbeat - and more cut-up vocal
                              would've been good! ;-Oh well! At least it's better than the Olav
                              Basoski 'Samplitude' Mix!

                              I now have Jez & Choopie 'Yim' and have a question for all - in the
                              Hybrid mixes, where the hell is that strings riff from? I know it's
                              a 70's track and it's someone quite well know like Sylvester, or
                              someone. Any ideas?

                              ...getting back to the chronology thing - I don't think anyone had an
                              answer for my much earlier question about when the first Hybrid mix
                              was released - any ideas?

                              A1

                              The Music is the Life...
                              ...and It Shall be Ours.