Mostly Way Out West (was Re: Hybrid Unofficial Site)

  • Stuart Bruce
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 1999
      On Wed 29 Sep, Vince H. wrote:
      > All this talk about WOW is encouraging me to start up my own mailing
      > list. ;)

      No time like the present... already done :-)

      Various people I know have expressed an interest in WOW, so I've set up
      WayOutWest@onelist.com for any interested parties. I only set it up an
      hour or so ago though, so don't expect the discussion to flow quickly or
      soon.

      http://www.onelist.com/community/wayoutwest/

      > Other good remixes include Roni Size's "Share The Fall," JX's "There's
      > Nothing I Won't Do," Joi's "Asian Vibes," and Dubstar's "Not So Manic
      > Now." On the latter they made one of the finest acid lines my ears
      > have yet to behold. ;)

      "Not So Manic Now" (remixes) is (I think) the _only_ CD single from
      Dubstar I don't actually have... <groan>. I didn't realise it had a WOW
      mix on it. I'll have to keep an eye out.

      > > > I think it's time for a trip down to HMV tomorrow to purchase the
      > > > album (along with Le ftfield's).
      > >
      > > Only Virgin have a copy in York, and I was planning to buy that for
      > > my birthday on Saturday, unless you get it first... <grin>.
      >
      > I was in London last month and the Tower Records in Soho had one, so
      > there's more to go around.

      It's still in print, so I could have ordered a copy from any store that
      wasn't carrying it.

      > > Leftfield's album is quite good, but the reviews that explained that
      > > it's a deep & moody album rather than a massive & anthemic 'comeback
      > > album' were all correct.

      [interrupt]

      One of my friends set up a Leftfield mailing list on OneList
      (http://www.onelist.com/community/leftfield ) but it doesn't get much
      traffic at the moment.

      > Yes, I keep hearing the claim that it's NOT "Leftism 2," which is a
      > shame, because I really enjoyed that album. However, I'm glad to hear
      > they're evolving and branching out, and trying to do something
      > innovative. However, Africa Shox reminds me of some electro breaks
      > I've heard in the past.....well, everything'd derivative, of course,
      > so I guess something like that can only be expected. I will get the
      > album eventually....the funds don't currently allow it.

      Well, whether they're "branching out" _or_ "trying to do something
      innovative" is probably questionnable, which is why the album has had a
      mixed response (despite going straight to #1 in the album charts). They
      don't seem to be the "front-runners" or the innovators any more, and
      while "Rhythm & Stealth" is very slick, it's not ground-breaking. Apart
      from "Phat Planet", which is only ground-breaking in the sense that if
      you play it loud enough it will cause an earthquake.

      Stuart.

      --
      Stuart Bruce
      stuart@...
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 30, 1999
        > From: Stuart Bruce <music@...>
        >
        > On Wed 29 Sep, Vince H. wrote:
        > > All this talk about WOW is encouraging me to start up my own mailing
        > > list. ;)
        >
        > No time like the present... already done :-)
        >
        > Various people I know have expressed an interest in WOW, so I've set up
        > WayOutWest@onelist.com for any interested parties. I only set it up an
        > hour or so ago though, so don't expect the discussion to flow quickly or
        > soon.
        >
        > http://www.onelist.com/community/wayoutwest/

        Right on! I've already signed up and am looking forward to the conversation
        that will ensue. :)

        > > Other good remixes include Roni Size's "Share The Fall," JX's "There's
        > > Nothing I Won't Do," Joi's "Asian Vibes," and Dubstar's "Not So Manic
        > > Now." On the latter they made one of the finest acid lines my ears
        > > have yet to behold. ;)
        >
        > "Not So Manic Now" (remixes) is (I think) the _only_ CD single from
        > Dubstar I don't actually have... <groan>. I didn't realise it had a WOW
        > mix on it. I'll have to keep an eye out.

        Neither do I have the single, but it was released on the double-cd that came
        out in 1996 (along w/ the Stars remix). It was their debut cd Disgraceful w/
        a second remix cd added for good measure.

        Yes, www.juno.co.uk has it for 14 and a half pounds.

        > One of my friends set up a Leftfield mailing list on OneList
        > (http://www.onelist.com/community/leftfield ) but it doesn't get much
        > traffic at the moment.

        I might join that one. ;)

        > > Yes, I keep hearing the claim that it's NOT "Leftism 2," which is a
        > > shame, because I really enjoyed that album. However, I'm glad to hear
        > > they're evolving and branching out, and trying to do something
        > > innovative. However, Africa Shox reminds me of some electro breaks
        > > I've heard in the past.....well, everything'd derivative, of course,
        > > so I guess something like that can only be expected. I will get the
        > > album eventually....the funds don't currently allow it.
        >
        > Well, whether they're "branching out" _or_ "trying to do something
        > innovative" is probably questionnable, which is why the album has had a
        > mixed response (despite going straight to #1 in the album charts). They
        > don't seem to be the "front-runners" or the innovators any more, and
        > while "Rhythm & Stealth" is very slick, it's not ground-breaking. Apart
        > from "Phat Planet", which is only ground-breaking in the sense that if
        > you play it loud enough it will cause an earthquake.
        >
        > Stuart.

        I suppose you're right, but I've yet to hear the album in it's entirety,
        only snippets here and there. '

        Back to on-topic material, Hybrid released a live performance cd included
        with "Wide Angle" in Japan. A friend of mine has it, and said it's superb.
        The price is a little steep due to the nature of the import (Japanese
        double-cd), but I hope to snatch a copy someday. ;) Also, Distinctive will
        be releasing a compilation called Y3K in the near future that will feature
        unreleased tracks from artists like Rennie Pilgrem, BT, Hybrid, & Way out
        West. I've got the promotional sticker for it, and a friend of mine has the
        actual promo on vinyl, and said the Hybrid and WOW material is particularly
        excellent (nu-skool/trance breaks material evidently). It will be released
        on vinyl (unmixed), I presume and also on cd mixed by a DJ whose name
        currently escapes me.

        Vince H.