Soundsystem 01 review

  • zem_the_mattress
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 25, 2008
      After like 6 or 7 listens (was really tough to get ahold of this
      stateside for a punter like myself), I think this is a really solid
      release. Disc 1 is very good, I would say it's completely genre
      shifting and revolutionary except for Sasha's 'New Emissions of Light
      and Sound' which I think has a really similar texture and feel was
      released just a tad before this. That being said, only Hybrid (+
      Harry, Charlotte, etc)can do this level of magic with soo many
      wonderfully disparate emotional and cinematic elements. Think this is
      the first fully committed downtempo effort for them, and I'm really
      impressed. Involver2 is going to have to be pretty spectacular to beat
      this.

      Think alot of the music nerds on this list (all respect+love intended)
      forget that Hybrid is pretty damn good at making people shake their
      asses. Disc 2 I think is the 1st release that has focused on this
      particular aspect of their considerable talents. Tech house is pretty
      big (at least in my slice of the world), and this is at least as good
      as a Trent Cantrelle or Gene Farris set. I really don't think that
      the vocal version of "Formula" would have fit in very well. The boys
      chose , sequenced, and edited some really great tracks into a cohesive
      comp that I would have a great time dancing to. And, if the
      interviews with them and Nick are accurate, this was exactly the
      intent. It would be fun if there was another Y4k-esque comp, but this
      is really good anyhow.

      *return to lurk*

      Hi everybody!

      Dave
    • Max Hogg
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 27, 2008
        Thanks Dave - a great review (except for the bit about Involver2 - I am
        willing to be that this will park soundsystem 01 firmly in the shade...)