RE: [Hybrid] Formula of Fear

  • James Warren
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 25 4:01 AM
      I daresay I'll go down as a heretic but I loved both cds. Cd1 is superb
      downtempo, emotional material. Beautifully programmed and elegantly mixed.
      CD2 was a pleasant surprise to say the least. I'm rather pleased Hybrid have
      moved into doing some of the prog house type stuff at least in dj sets and
      what we're beginning to see in remixes. I loved the way Long Range carried
      on for several mins into the next track or 2. The Lank tune is tip top too.

      I think elements of the prog breaks thing are getting a bit long in the
      tooth. In order to survive, you need to evolve as an artist (some would no
      doubt argue 'regress' in this case). If you want to get gigs and get other
      people to play your music you have to at least make some concessions as to
      what's currently en vogue at a given moment in time. My guess is that Hybrid
      have recognised this and adapted accordingly. It's no use putting breaks
      remixes/production (prog or otherwise) if only the people on this list buy
      them or play them. Making music for tv and film is a different ball game of
      course and I guess there's much greater scope for the epic, orchestral type
      of sound in that field.

      There's a lot of great music out there and I don't see a problem with a
      variation in approach. In fact it makes me think there's a brighter for
      Hybrid.

      That said, I'll probably be proved completely wrong an album 4 will be a
      return to Wide Angle J.

      JW

      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 28 1:54 AM
        Dan,

        where would I be without you to correct me ;-)

        Seriously though, I have to agree that the WHOLE of the first half
        of CD2 is not minimilist tech house, but some, if not most of it
        is. Never been a fan of the Matrix Dub remixes really, like the
        banging but too light on the melody in my opinion. The accompanying
        Echoplex mix to many of the Matrix Dub remixes has always been my
        preference.

        Also, I'm really beginning to dig the CD1. The Charlotte James
        track is a winner, if the new Hybrid album contains songs of that
        quality then we could be in for a cracker.

        Does anybody else think that Trifonic track has very similar
        elements to one or two tracks on 'This Binary Universe'? (I put that
        in the nicest possible way)

        > We must be opposites, I LOVED the first disc. Simply awesome. I
        agree,
        > Minimalist tech house isn't my thing either and that's not really
        how I
        > viewed the first few tracks from the second disc. Also, the
        Matrix Dub of
        > Just One More sounded like any other classic Hybrid remix with that
        > particular moniker, lighter on the melody and heavy on the
        banging. I
        > thought it was actually done quite well. Very driving track.
        Very old
        > school sounding Hybrid vibe too.
        >

        > > Well, got to say I did n't dig CD1 at first but as expected it
        has
        > > begun to grow on me a lot.
        > >
        > > Can understand that people are a little disappointed with CD2.
        > > Definitely a CD of two halves with the minimilist tech house vibe
        > > first up (which, incidently I dislike enormously), journeying
        into
        > > prog house territory at the end. Not too many breaks in there,
        > > although Hybrid did point out in their latest interview that
        there's
        > > not a lot of quality breaks material out there at the mo, so I
        guess
        > > that's understandable. I definitely like the second half of CD2,
        > > think the Formula Of Fear remix is superbly produced (as most
        Hybrid
        > > remixes have been recently) so bit surprised by some people's
        > > comments. Think the end of the CD flows nicely from track 9
        through
        > > to the end, once you've managed to negotiate the rather
        uninspiring
        > > Shifter & Carvell remix of $50 Pistol.
        > >
        > > I'm hardly going to comment on the first half of CD2, I do not
        like
        > > it. The only thing I will say is that the Matrix Dub of Long
        Range
        > > is disappointing, not a patch on the original Hybrid mix (which
        is a
        > > true winner) and a tad dull.
        > >

        > > --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Wrigley <fireybob@>
        wrote:

        > >> As far as I'm concerned CD1 is one of the best downbeat mixes
        I've
        > > ever heard but CD2 is one of the worst. It reminds me of an
        > > unprogressive progressive trance album which always ends up going
        > > nowhere. I told myself by song 6 it doesn't matter, Hybrids own
        > > tracks are coming up next, but alas, even these were awful. I
        feel
        > > a little let down by the boys by them not including any of their
        own
        > > homegrown tracks especially when the "formula of fear" and "fifty
        > > dollar pistol" originals are so powerful. Hybrid hooking up with
        > > Harry Gregson Williams was ALWAYS gonna sound good and the beats
        > > towards the end of formula of fear are sick so why not include
        > > them. My mind is telling me, money making tactic, but
        nevertheless
        > > I will still buy the singles when they arrive as will, without a
        > > doubt, all other long-term hybrid fans.
        > >>
        > >> By the way if anyone hasn't heard "cascade" on the new hybrid
        > > website "soundsystem" check it out. Probably one of the best
        > > dancier remixes they've done.....ever.
        > >>
        > >> Andrew W
        > >>

        > >> To: HybridUK@yahoogroups.com
        > >> From: andyrober@
        > >> Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 17:47:53 +0000
        > >> Subject: Re: [Hybrid] Formula of Fear

        > >> Haven't had much chance to listen to it yet but
        > > there's some very
        > >>
        > >> nice (BT-esque?) tracks in there and flawlessly mixed.
        > >>

        > >> I was really looking forward to Formula of Fear but I miss the
        > > vocal
        > >>
        > >> on this version, can't wait for the single.
        > >>

        > >> So far, its all about CD 1 for me - the last CD (Re_Mixed) was
        > >>
        > >> disappointing but this one is a return to proper Hybrid
        > > compilations
        > >>
        > >> and was well worth the wait I think.

        That's
        > > the
        > >>
        > >> best downtempo mix I've heard since Nick Warren's Global
        > > Underground
        > >>
        > >> 24 mix. My head went tingly for a good 30 seconds when the Man
        on

        > >> Fire vocal came in at the end, that hasn't happened to me for a
        > > good
        > >>
        > >> ten years, certainly since I stop being involved with Mr
        > > Mitsubishi.

        > >> what an achievement, cheers Hybrid dons.

        showtopic=

      • dcraig@nmt.edu
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 29 4:48 PM
          Sorry, that's the software engineer inside of me. We dorks nit-pick
          accuracy. I could see the second disc being a disappointment to some.
          Hell, after hearing the samples I expected it to be disappointing too.
          I've never been fond of Tech House either but I think they chose tracks
          that really worked for me personally this time, which I find amazing. I
          agree, the Echoplex mixes have always been superior to the Matrix Dubs,
          Gouryella being the prime example of that to me.

          I find the reactions to disc one interesting. Some people adore it right
          away, some people it grows on, and some unilaterally hate it and discard
          it.
          I'd love an explanation how that works but it's too much of a gray area
          for that. Do some people expect upbeat from Hybrid only and when it
          doesn't fit that they move on? Are some people open to different styles
          but just caught off guard by this particular CD? I know I had a unique
          entry into electronic music, through FSOL albums. So my tolerance for
          obtuse sounds is a lot higher than most people who approach from a more
          dance oriented direction.

          That's actually a heavy feature of glitch style music. They end up
          stuttering the hi hats/percussion and causing small portions of sounds to
          be repeated quickly. It all pretty much ends up sounding the same in the
          end (to myself anyway.)

          Dan

> [...]
          >> > unprogressive progressive trance album which always ends up going
          >> > nowhere. I told myself by song 6 it doesn't matter, Hybrids own
          >> > tracks are coming up next, but alas, even these were awful. I
          > feel
          >> > a little let down by the boys by them not including any of their
          > own
          >> > homegrown tracks especially when the "formula of fear" and "fifty
          >> > dollar pistol" originals are so powerful. Hybrid hooking up with
          >> > Harry Gregson Williams was ALWAYS gonna sound good and the beats
          >> > towards the end of formula of fear are sick so why not include
          >> > them. My mind is telling me, money making tactic, but
          > nevertheless
          >> > I will still buy the singles when they arrive as will, without a
          >> > doubt, all other long-term hybrid fans.

          >> > website "soundsystem" check it out. Probably one of the best

        • Reallyknowyourenemy
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 29 7:52 PM
            Trifonic used to play live with BT, so guessing he may have given them some plugin treats = )

            Find a better answer, faster with the new Yahoo!7 Search. www.yahoo7.com.au/search