Re: [Hybrid] Formula of Fear

  • Max Hogg
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 22, 2008
      Wow...I've just spent the evening listening to CD 1 on repeat...stunning.

      It's unlike anything I've heard from Hybrid before, and yet uniquely their
      sound somehow.

      Top notch.

    • dcraig@nmt.edu
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 24, 2008
        We must be opposites, I LOVED the first disc. Simply awesome. I agree,
        Minimalist tech house isn't my thing either and that's not really how I
        viewed the first few tracks from the second disc. Also, the Matrix Dub of
        Just One More sounded like any other classic Hybrid remix with that
        particular moniker, lighter on the melody and heavy on the banging. I
        thought it was actually done quite well. Very driving track. Very old
        school sounding Hybrid vibe too.

> [...]
        >>
        >> on this version, can't wait for the single.
        >>

        >> So far, its all about CD 1 for me - the last CD (Re_Mixed) was
        >>
        >> disappointing but this one is a return to proper Hybrid
        > compilations
        >>
        >> and was well worth the wait I think.
        >>

        >> --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, James West <jamesw2020@> wrote:
        >>

        >> > Just listened to CD 1 of Soundsystem. I'm overwhelmed. That's
        > the
        >>
        >> best downtempo mix I've heard since Nick Warren's Global
        > Underground
        >>
        >> 24 mix. My head went tingly for a good 30 seconds when the Man on
        >>
        >> Fire vocal came in at the end, that hasn't happened to me for a
        > good
        >>
        >> ten years, certainly since I stop being involved with Mr
        > Mitsubishi.
        >>

        >> > I was looking forward to the clubbier mix more to be honest, but
        >>
        >> what an achievement, cheers Hybrid dons.

      • James Warren
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 25, 2008
          I daresay I'll go down as a heretic but I loved both cds. Cd1 is superb
          downtempo, emotional material. Beautifully programmed and elegantly mixed.
          CD2 was a pleasant surprise to say the least. I'm rather pleased Hybrid have
          moved into doing some of the prog house type stuff at least in dj sets and
          what we're beginning to see in remixes. I loved the way Long Range carried
          on for several mins into the next track or 2. The Lank tune is tip top too.

          I think elements of the prog breaks thing are getting a bit long in the
          tooth. In order to survive, you need to evolve as an artist (some would no
          doubt argue 'regress' in this case). If you want to get gigs and get other
          people to play your music you have to at least make some concessions as to
          what's currently en vogue at a given moment in time. My guess is that Hybrid
          have recognised this and adapted accordingly. It's no use putting breaks
          remixes/production (prog or otherwise) if only the people on this list buy
          them or play them. Making music for tv and film is a different ball game of
          course and I guess there's much greater scope for the epic, orchestral type
          of sound in that field.

          There's a lot of great music out there and I don't see a problem with a
          variation in approach. In fact it makes me think there's a brighter for
          Hybrid.

          That said, I'll probably be proved completely wrong an album 4 will be a
          return to Wide Angle J.

          JW

          We must be opposites, I LOVED the first disc. Simply awesome. I agree,
          Minimalist tech house isn't my thing either and that's not really how I
          viewed the first few tracks from the second disc. Also, the Matrix Dub of
          Just One More sounded like any other classic Hybrid remix with that
          particular moniker, lighter on the melody and heavy on the banging. I
          thought it was actually done quite well. Very driving track. Very old
          school sounding Hybrid vibe too.

          > Well, got to say I did n't dig CD1 at first but as expected it has
          > begun to grow on me a lot.
          >
          > Can understand that people are a little disappointed with CD2.
          > Definitely a CD of two halves with the minimilist tech house vibe
          > first up (which, incidently I dislike enormously), journeying into
          > prog house territory at the end. Not too many breaks in there,
          > although Hybrid did point out in their latest interview that there's
          > not a lot of quality breaks material out there at the mo, so I guess
          > that's understandable. I definitely like the second half of CD2,
          > think the Formula Of Fear remix is superbly produced (as most Hybrid
          > remixes have been recently) so bit surprised by some people's
          > comments. Think the end of the CD flows nicely from track 9 through
          > to the end, once you've managed to negotiate the rather uninspiring
          > Shifter & Carvell remix of $50 Pistol.
          >
          > I'm hardly going to comment on the first half of CD2, I do not like
          > it. The only thing I will say is that the Matrix Dub of Long Range
          > is disappointing, not a patch on the original Hybrid mix (which is a
          > true winner) and a tad dull.

        • Ben Abrams
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 28, 2008
            Dan,

            where would I be without you to correct me ;-)

            Seriously though, I have to agree that the WHOLE of the first half
            of CD2 is not minimilist tech house, but some, if not most of it
            is. Never been a fan of the Matrix Dub remixes really, like the
            banging but too light on the melody in my opinion. The accompanying
            Echoplex mix to many of the Matrix Dub remixes has always been my
            preference.

            Also, I'm really beginning to dig the CD1. The Charlotte James
            track is a winner, if the new Hybrid album contains songs of that
            quality then we could be in for a cracker.

            Does anybody else think that Trifonic track has very similar
            elements to one or two tracks on 'This Binary Universe'? (I put that
            in the nicest possible way)

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 29, 2008
              Sorry, that's the software engineer inside of me. We dorks nit-pick
              accuracy. I could see the second disc being a disappointment to some.
              Hell, after hearing the samples I expected it to be disappointing too.
              I've never been fond of Tech House either but I think they chose tracks
              that really worked for me personally this time, which I find amazing. I
              agree, the Echoplex mixes have always been superior to the Matrix Dubs,
              Gouryella being the prime example of that to me.

              I find the reactions to disc one interesting. Some people adore it right
              away, some people it grows on, and some unilaterally hate it and discard
              it.
              I'd love an explanation how that works but it's too much of a gray area
              for that. Do some people expect upbeat from Hybrid only and when it
              doesn't fit that they move on? Are some people open to different styles
              but just caught off guard by this particular CD? I know I had a unique
              entry into electronic music, through FSOL albums. So my tolerance for
              obtuse sounds is a lot higher than most people who approach from a more
              dance oriented direction.

              That's actually a heavy feature of glitch style music. They end up
              stuttering the hi hats/percussion and causing small portions of sounds to
              be repeated quickly. It all pretty much ends up sounding the same in the
              end (to myself anyway.)

              Dan

> [...]
              >> > unprogressive progressive trance album which always ends up going
              >> > nowhere. I told myself by song 6 it doesn't matter, Hybrids own
              >> > tracks are coming up next, but alas, even these were awful. I
              > feel
              >> > a little let down by the boys by them not including any of their
              > own
              >> > homegrown tracks especially when the "formula of fear" and "fifty
              >> > dollar pistol" originals are so powerful. Hybrid hooking up with
              >> > Harry Gregson Williams was ALWAYS gonna sound good and the beats
              >> > towards the end of formula of fear are sick so why not include
              >> > them. My mind is telling me, money making tactic, but
              > nevertheless
              >> > I will still buy the singles when they arrive as will, without a
              >> > doubt, all other long-term hybrid fans.

              >> > website "soundsystem" check it out. Probably one of the best

            • Reallyknowyourenemy
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 29, 2008
                Trifonic used to play live with BT, so guessing he may have given them some plugin treats = )

                Find a better answer, faster with the new Yahoo!7 Search. www.yahoo7.com.au/search