Re: [Hybrid] Formula of Fear

  • Max Hogg
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 22, 2008
      Wow...I've just spent the evening listening to CD 1 on repeat...stunning.

      It's unlike anything I've heard from Hybrid before, and yet uniquely their
      sound somehow.

      Top notch.

    • dcraig@nmt.edu
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 24, 2008
        We must be opposites, I LOVED the first disc. Simply awesome. I agree,
        Minimalist tech house isn't my thing either and that's not really how I
        viewed the first few tracks from the second disc. Also, the Matrix Dub of
        Just One More sounded like any other classic Hybrid remix with that
        particular moniker, lighter on the melody and heavy on the banging. I
        thought it was actually done quite well. Very driving track. Very old
        school sounding Hybrid vibe too.

> [...]
        >>
        >> on this version, can't wait for the single.
        >>

        >> So far, its all about CD 1 for me - the last CD (Re_Mixed) was
        >>
        >> disappointing but this one is a return to proper Hybrid
        > compilations
        >>
        >> and was well worth the wait I think.
        >>

        >> --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, James West <jamesw2020@> wrote:
        >>

        >> > Just listened to CD 1 of Soundsystem. I'm overwhelmed. That's
        > the
        >>
        >> best downtempo mix I've heard since Nick Warren's Global
        > Underground
        >>
        >> 24 mix. My head went tingly for a good 30 seconds when the Man on
        >>
        >> Fire vocal came in at the end, that hasn't happened to me for a
        > good
        >>
        >> ten years, certainly since I stop being involved with Mr
        > Mitsubishi.
        >>

        >> > I was looking forward to the clubbier mix more to be honest, but
        >>
        >> what an achievement, cheers Hybrid dons.

      • Thomas Touzimsky
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 24, 2008
          > Not too many breaks in there,
          > although Hybrid did point out in their latest interview that there's
          > not a lot of quality breaks material out there at the mo, so I guess
          > that's understandable.

          Maybe *they* could release some quality breaks material again for a
          start... ;-)

          ..::// Thomas Touzimsky

          "No ice sold after 4 PM, especially 5 cent pieces." - Shop sign in
          Baltimore

          Am 22.07.2008 um 19:19 schrieb Ben Abrams:

> [...]
          > >
          > > on this version, can't wait for the single.
          > >

          > > So far, its all about CD 1 for me - the last CD (Re_Mixed) was
          > >
          > > disappointing but this one is a return to proper Hybrid
          > compilations
          > >
          > > and was well worth the wait I think.
          > >

          > > --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, James West <jamesw2020@> wrote:
          > >

          > > > Just listened to CD 1 of Soundsystem. I'm overwhelmed. That's
          > the
          > >
          > > best downtempo mix I've heard since Nick Warren's Global
          > Underground
          > >
          > > 24 mix. My head went tingly for a good 30 seconds when the Man on
          > >
          > > Fire vocal came in at the end, that hasn't happened to me for a
          > good
          > >
          > > ten years, certainly since I stop being involved with Mr
          > Mitsubishi.
          > >

          > > > I was looking forward to the clubbier mix more to be honest, but
          > >
          > > what an achievement, cheers Hybrid dons.

        • James Warren
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 25, 2008
            I daresay I'll go down as a heretic but I loved both cds. Cd1 is superb
            downtempo, emotional material. Beautifully programmed and elegantly mixed.
            CD2 was a pleasant surprise to say the least. I'm rather pleased Hybrid have
            moved into doing some of the prog house type stuff at least in dj sets and
            what we're beginning to see in remixes. I loved the way Long Range carried
            on for several mins into the next track or 2. The Lank tune is tip top too.

            I think elements of the prog breaks thing are getting a bit long in the
            tooth. In order to survive, you need to evolve as an artist (some would no
            doubt argue 'regress' in this case). If you want to get gigs and get other
            people to play your music you have to at least make some concessions as to
            what's currently en vogue at a given moment in time. My guess is that Hybrid
            have recognised this and adapted accordingly. It's no use putting breaks
            remixes/production (prog or otherwise) if only the people on this list buy
            them or play them. Making music for tv and film is a different ball game of
            course and I guess there's much greater scope for the epic, orchestral type
            of sound in that field.

            There's a lot of great music out there and I don't see a problem with a
            variation in approach. In fact it makes me think there's a brighter for
            Hybrid.

            That said, I'll probably be proved completely wrong an album 4 will be a
            return to Wide Angle J.

            JW

            We must be opposites, I LOVED the first disc. Simply awesome. I agree,
            Minimalist tech house isn't my thing either and that's not really how I
            viewed the first few tracks from the second disc. Also, the Matrix Dub of
            Just One More sounded like any other classic Hybrid remix with that
            particular moniker, lighter on the melody and heavy on the banging. I
            thought it was actually done quite well. Very driving track. Very old
            school sounding Hybrid vibe too.

            > Well, got to say I did n't dig CD1 at first but as expected it has
            > begun to grow on me a lot.
            >
            > Can understand that people are a little disappointed with CD2.
            > Definitely a CD of two halves with the minimilist tech house vibe
            > first up (which, incidently I dislike enormously), journeying into
            > prog house territory at the end. Not too many breaks in there,
            > although Hybrid did point out in their latest interview that there's
            > not a lot of quality breaks material out there at the mo, so I guess
            > that's understandable. I definitely like the second half of CD2,
            > think the Formula Of Fear remix is superbly produced (as most Hybrid
            > remixes have been recently) so bit surprised by some people's
            > comments. Think the end of the CD flows nicely from track 9 through
            > to the end, once you've managed to negotiate the rather uninspiring
            > Shifter & Carvell remix of $50 Pistol.
            >
            > I'm hardly going to comment on the first half of CD2, I do not like
            > it. The only thing I will say is that the Matrix Dub of Long Range
            > is disappointing, not a patch on the original Hybrid mix (which is a
            > true winner) and a tad dull.

          • Ben Abrams
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 28, 2008
              Dan,

              where would I be without you to correct me ;-)

              Seriously though, I have to agree that the WHOLE of the first half
              of CD2 is not minimilist tech house, but some, if not most of it
              is. Never been a fan of the Matrix Dub remixes really, like the
              banging but too light on the melody in my opinion. The accompanying
              Echoplex mix to many of the Matrix Dub remixes has always been my
              preference.

              Also, I'm really beginning to dig the CD1. The Charlotte James
              track is a winner, if the new Hybrid album contains songs of that
              quality then we could be in for a cracker.

              Does anybody else think that Trifonic track has very similar
              elements to one or two tracks on 'This Binary Universe'? (I put that
              in the nicest possible way)

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 29, 2008
                Sorry, that's the software engineer inside of me. We dorks nit-pick
                accuracy. I could see the second disc being a disappointment to some.
                Hell, after hearing the samples I expected it to be disappointing too.
                I've never been fond of Tech House either but I think they chose tracks
                that really worked for me personally this time, which I find amazing. I
                agree, the Echoplex mixes have always been superior to the Matrix Dubs,
                Gouryella being the prime example of that to me.

                I find the reactions to disc one interesting. Some people adore it right
                away, some people it grows on, and some unilaterally hate it and discard
                it.
                I'd love an explanation how that works but it's too much of a gray area
                for that. Do some people expect upbeat from Hybrid only and when it
                doesn't fit that they move on? Are some people open to different styles
                but just caught off guard by this particular CD? I know I had a unique
                entry into electronic music, through FSOL albums. So my tolerance for
                obtuse sounds is a lot higher than most people who approach from a more
                dance oriented direction.

                That's actually a heavy feature of glitch style music. They end up
                stuttering the hi hats/percussion and causing small portions of sounds to
                be repeated quickly. It all pretty much ends up sounding the same in the
                end (to myself anyway.)

                Dan

> [...]
                >> > unprogressive progressive trance album which always ends up going
                >> > nowhere. I told myself by song 6 it doesn't matter, Hybrids own
                >> > tracks are coming up next, but alas, even these were awful. I
                > feel
                >> > a little let down by the boys by them not including any of their
                > own
                >> > homegrown tracks especially when the "formula of fear" and "fifty
                >> > dollar pistol" originals are so powerful. Hybrid hooking up with
                >> > Harry Gregson Williams was ALWAYS gonna sound good and the beats
                >> > towards the end of formula of fear are sick so why not include
                >> > them. My mind is telling me, money making tactic, but
                > nevertheless
                >> > I will still buy the singles when they arrive as will, without a
                >> > doubt, all other long-term hybrid fans.

                >> > website "soundsystem" check it out. Probably one of the best

              • Reallyknowyourenemy
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 29, 2008
                  Trifonic used to play live with BT, so guessing he may have given them some plugin treats = )

                  Find a better answer, faster with the new Yahoo!7 Search. www.yahoo7.com.au/search