Formula of Fear

  • Darrin Maunders
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 3, 2008
      Don't know if it was mentioned before but there is a Glenn Morrison rmx
      of Formula of Fear in a Jody Wisternoff mixset recorded on the 25th of May.

      http://www.uktrancealliance.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38926
    • James West
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 16, 2008
        Just listened to CD 1 of Soundsystem. I'm overwhelmed. That's the best downtempo mix I've heard since Nick Warren's Global Underground 24 mix. My head went tingly for a good 30 seconds when the Man on Fire vocal came in at the end, that hasn't happened to me for a good ten years, certainly since I stop being involved with Mr Mitsubishi.

        I was looking forward to the clubbier mix more to be honest, but what an achievement, cheers Hybrid dons.

        What does everyone else think?

        James

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 17, 2008
          I totally agree, CD1 is heavenly. I can see it become the summer
          chillout mix for me anyway, just a blissful set of music thats soothes
          the soul.

          On the other hand, while CD2 is great, I cant help but be disappointed
          by the vocal-less Formula of Fear. I guess I'm disappointed because I
          felt my need for some new Hybrid material was going to satiated...now
          my eagerness has just been heightened

          Chris

          --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, James West <jamesw2020@...> wrote:

          > Just listened to CD 1 of Soundsystem. I'm overwhelmed. That's the
          best downtempo mix I've heard since Nick Warren's Global Underground
          24 mix. My head went tingly for a good 30 seconds when the Man on
          Fire vocal came in at the end, that hasn't happened to me for a good
          ten years, certainly since I stop being involved with Mr Mitsubishi.

          > I was looking forward to the clubbier mix more to be honest, but
          what an achievement, cheers Hybrid dons.

          > What does everyone else think?
          >
          > James

        • Andy Roberts
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 17, 2008
            Haven't had much chance to listen to it yet but there's some very
            nice (BT-esque?) tracks in there and flawlessly mixed.

            I was really looking forward to Formula of Fear but I miss the vocal
            on this version, can't wait for the single.

            So far, its all about CD 1 for me - the last CD (Re_Mixed) was
            disappointing but this one is a return to proper Hybrid compilations
            and was well worth the wait I think.

            --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, James West <jamesw2020@...> wrote:

            > Just listened to CD 1 of Soundsystem. I'm overwhelmed. That's the
            best downtempo mix I've heard since Nick Warren's Global Underground
            24 mix. My head went tingly for a good 30 seconds when the Man on
            Fire vocal came in at the end, that hasn't happened to me for a good
            ten years, certainly since I stop being involved with Mr Mitsubishi.

            > I was looking forward to the clubbier mix more to be honest, but
            what an achievement, cheers Hybrid dons.

            > What does everyone else think?
            >
            > James

          • Trent Saunders
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 17, 2008
              Soundsystem ROCKS. Although its not breaks like we were used 2 in an album by the boys, this works so damn well. CD001 is sublime, really the re edit of Saladin (defiently a new rumbling hybrid tweakin' beat in there) menacing marrakech meets last man standing style downtempo darkness, so so SO good =)

              Start at the new Yahoo!7 for a better online experience. www.yahoo7.com.au

            • Andrew Wrigley
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 18, 2008
                As far as I'm concerned CD1 is one of the best downbeat mixes I've ever heard but CD2 is one of the worst. It reminds me of an unprogressive progressive trance album which always ends up going nowhere. I told myself by song 6 it doesn't matter, Hybrids own tracks are coming up next, but alas, even these were awful. I feel a little let down by the boys by them not including any of their own homegrown tracks especially when the "formula of fear" and "fifty dollar pistol" originals are so powerful. Hybrid hooking up with Harry Gregson Williams was ALWAYS gonna sound good and the beats towards the end of formula of fear are sick so why not include them. My mind is telling me, money making tactic, but nevertheless I will still buy the singles when they arrive as will, without a doubt, all other long-term hybrid fans.

                By the way if anyone hasn't heard "cascade" on the new hybrid website "soundsystem" check it out. Probably one of the best dancier remixes they've done.....ever.

                Andrew W

                To: HybridUK@yahoogroups.com
                From: andyrober@...
                Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 17:47:53 +0000
                Subject: Re: [Hybrid] Formula of Fear

                Haven't had much chance to listen to it yet but there's some very

                nice (BT-esque?) tracks in there and flawlessly mixed.

                I was really looking forward to Formula of Fear but I miss the vocal

                on this version, can't wait for the single.

                So far, its all about CD 1 for me - the last CD (Re_Mixed) was

                disappointing but this one is a return to proper Hybrid compilations

                and was well worth the wait I think.

                --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, James West <jamesw2020@...> wrote:

                > Just listened to CD 1 of Soundsystem. I'm overwhelmed. That's the

                best downtempo mix I've heard since Nick Warren's Global Underground

                24 mix. My head went tingly for a good 30 seconds when the Man on

                Fire vocal came in at the end, that hasn't happened to me for a good

                ten years, certainly since I stop being involved with Mr Mitsubishi.

                > I was looking forward to the clubbier mix more to be honest, but

                what an achievement, cheers Hybrid dons.

                > What does everyone else think?

                > James

                available now at Yahoo! http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/ymail/new.html

              • Ben Abrams
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 22, 2008
                  Well, got to say I did n't dig CD1 at first but as expected it has
                  begun to grow on me a lot.

                  Can understand that people are a little disappointed with CD2.
                  Definitely a CD of two halves with the minimilist tech house vibe
                  first up (which, incidently I dislike enormously), journeying into
                  prog house territory at the end. Not too many breaks in there,
                  although Hybrid did point out in their latest interview that there's
                  not a lot of quality breaks material out there at the mo, so I guess
                  that's understandable. I definitely like the second half of CD2,
                  think the Formula Of Fear remix is superbly produced (as most Hybrid
                  remixes have been recently) so bit surprised by some people's
                  comments. Think the end of the CD flows nicely from track 9 through
                  to the end, once you've managed to negotiate the rather uninspiring
                  Shifter & Carvell remix of $50 Pistol.

                  I'm hardly going to comment on the first half of CD2, I do not like
                  it. The only thing I will say is that the Matrix Dub of Long Range
                  is disappointing, not a patch on the original Hybrid mix (which is a
                  true winner) and a tad dull.

                  --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Wrigley <fireybob@...> wrote:

                  > As far as I'm concerned CD1 is one of the best downbeat mixes I've
                  ever heard but CD2 is one of the worst. It reminds me of an
                  unprogressive progressive trance album which always ends up going
                  nowhere. I told myself by song 6 it doesn't matter, Hybrids own
                  tracks are coming up next, but alas, even these were awful. I feel
                  a little let down by the boys by them not including any of their own
                  homegrown tracks especially when the "formula of fear" and "fifty
                  dollar pistol" originals are so powerful. Hybrid hooking up with
                  Harry Gregson Williams was ALWAYS gonna sound good and the beats
                  towards the end of formula of fear are sick so why not include
                  them. My mind is telling me, money making tactic, but nevertheless
                  I will still buy the singles when they arrive as will, without a
                  doubt, all other long-term hybrid fans.

                  > By the way if anyone hasn't heard "cascade" on the new hybrid
                  website "soundsystem" check it out. Probably one of the best
                  dancier remixes they've done.....ever.

                  > Andrew W
                  >

                  > To: HybridUK@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: andyrober@...
                  > Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 17:47:53 +0000
                  > Subject: Re: [Hybrid] Formula of Fear

                  > Haven't had much chance to listen to it yet but
                  there's some very

                  > nice (BT-esque?) tracks in there and flawlessly mixed.
                  >

                  > I was really looking forward to Formula of Fear but I miss the
                  vocal

                  > on this version, can't wait for the single.
                  >

                  > So far, its all about CD 1 for me - the last CD (Re_Mixed) was
                  >
                  > disappointing but this one is a return to proper Hybrid
                  compilations

                  > and was well worth the wait I think.
                  >

                  > --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, James West <jamesw2020@> wrote:
                  >

                  > > Just listened to CD 1 of Soundsystem. I'm overwhelmed. That's
                  the

                  > best downtempo mix I've heard since Nick Warren's Global
                  Underground

                  > 24 mix. My head went tingly for a good 30 seconds when the Man on
                  >
                  > Fire vocal came in at the end, that hasn't happened to me for a
                  good

                  > ten years, certainly since I stop being involved with Mr
                  Mitsubishi.

                  > > I was looking forward to the clubbier mix more to be honest, but
                  >
                  > what an achievement, cheers Hybrid dons.
                  >

                  > > What does everyone else think?
                  >

                  > > James

                • Reallyknowyourenemy
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 22, 2008
                    Cd1 is defiently a grower, (love the transitions in there) also diggin lank track on cd2 ... Right about the breaks though unfortunatley, the best breaks I have been hearing r by unsigned producers!

                  • Max Hogg
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 22, 2008
                      Wow...I've just spent the evening listening to CD 1 on repeat...stunning.

                      It's unlike anything I've heard from Hybrid before, and yet uniquely their
                      sound somehow.

                      Top notch.

                    • dcraig@nmt.edu
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 24, 2008
                        We must be opposites, I LOVED the first disc. Simply awesome. I agree,
                        Minimalist tech house isn't my thing either and that's not really how I
                        viewed the first few tracks from the second disc. Also, the Matrix Dub of
                        Just One More sounded like any other classic Hybrid remix with that
                        particular moniker, lighter on the melody and heavy on the banging. I
                        thought it was actually done quite well. Very driving track. Very old
                        school sounding Hybrid vibe too.

> [...]
                        >>
                        >> on this version, can't wait for the single.
                        >>

                        >> So far, its all about CD 1 for me - the last CD (Re_Mixed) was
                        >>
                        >> disappointing but this one is a return to proper Hybrid
                        > compilations
                        >>
                        >> and was well worth the wait I think.
                        >>

                        >> --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, James West <jamesw2020@> wrote:
                        >>

                        >> > Just listened to CD 1 of Soundsystem. I'm overwhelmed. That's
                        > the
                        >>
                        >> best downtempo mix I've heard since Nick Warren's Global
                        > Underground
                        >>
                        >> 24 mix. My head went tingly for a good 30 seconds when the Man on
                        >>
                        >> Fire vocal came in at the end, that hasn't happened to me for a
                        > good
                        >>
                        >> ten years, certainly since I stop being involved with Mr
                        > Mitsubishi.
                        >>

                        >> > I was looking forward to the clubbier mix more to be honest, but
                        >>
                        >> what an achievement, cheers Hybrid dons.

                      • Thomas Touzimsky
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 24, 2008
                          > Not too many breaks in there,
                          > although Hybrid did point out in their latest interview that there's
                          > not a lot of quality breaks material out there at the mo, so I guess
                          > that's understandable.

                          Maybe *they* could release some quality breaks material again for a
                          start... ;-)

                          ..::// Thomas Touzimsky

                          "No ice sold after 4 PM, especially 5 cent pieces." - Shop sign in
                          Baltimore

                          Am 22.07.2008 um 19:19 schrieb Ben Abrams:

> [...]
                          > >
                          > > on this version, can't wait for the single.
                          > >

                          > > So far, its all about CD 1 for me - the last CD (Re_Mixed) was
                          > >
                          > > disappointing but this one is a return to proper Hybrid
                          > compilations
                          > >
                          > > and was well worth the wait I think.
                          > >

                          > > --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, James West <jamesw2020@> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > > Just listened to CD 1 of Soundsystem. I'm overwhelmed. That's
                          > the
                          > >
                          > > best downtempo mix I've heard since Nick Warren's Global
                          > Underground
                          > >
                          > > 24 mix. My head went tingly for a good 30 seconds when the Man on
                          > >
                          > > Fire vocal came in at the end, that hasn't happened to me for a
                          > good
                          > >
                          > > ten years, certainly since I stop being involved with Mr
                          > Mitsubishi.
                          > >

                          > > > I was looking forward to the clubbier mix more to be honest, but
                          > >
                          > > what an achievement, cheers Hybrid dons.

                        • James Warren
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 25, 2008
                            I daresay I'll go down as a heretic but I loved both cds. Cd1 is superb
                            downtempo, emotional material. Beautifully programmed and elegantly mixed.
                            CD2 was a pleasant surprise to say the least. I'm rather pleased Hybrid have
                            moved into doing some of the prog house type stuff at least in dj sets and
                            what we're beginning to see in remixes. I loved the way Long Range carried
                            on for several mins into the next track or 2. The Lank tune is tip top too.

                            I think elements of the prog breaks thing are getting a bit long in the
                            tooth. In order to survive, you need to evolve as an artist (some would no
                            doubt argue 'regress' in this case). If you want to get gigs and get other
                            people to play your music you have to at least make some concessions as to
                            what's currently en vogue at a given moment in time. My guess is that Hybrid
                            have recognised this and adapted accordingly. It's no use putting breaks
                            remixes/production (prog or otherwise) if only the people on this list buy
                            them or play them. Making music for tv and film is a different ball game of
                            course and I guess there's much greater scope for the epic, orchestral type
                            of sound in that field.

                            There's a lot of great music out there and I don't see a problem with a
                            variation in approach. In fact it makes me think there's a brighter for
                            Hybrid.

                            That said, I'll probably be proved completely wrong an album 4 will be a
                            return to Wide Angle J.

                            JW

                            We must be opposites, I LOVED the first disc. Simply awesome. I agree,
                            Minimalist tech house isn't my thing either and that's not really how I
                            viewed the first few tracks from the second disc. Also, the Matrix Dub of
                            Just One More sounded like any other classic Hybrid remix with that
                            particular moniker, lighter on the melody and heavy on the banging. I
                            thought it was actually done quite well. Very driving track. Very old
                            school sounding Hybrid vibe too.

                            > Well, got to say I did n't dig CD1 at first but as expected it has
                            > begun to grow on me a lot.
                            >
                            > Can understand that people are a little disappointed with CD2.
                            > Definitely a CD of two halves with the minimilist tech house vibe
                            > first up (which, incidently I dislike enormously), journeying into
                            > prog house territory at the end. Not too many breaks in there,
                            > although Hybrid did point out in their latest interview that there's
                            > not a lot of quality breaks material out there at the mo, so I guess
                            > that's understandable. I definitely like the second half of CD2,
                            > think the Formula Of Fear remix is superbly produced (as most Hybrid
                            > remixes have been recently) so bit surprised by some people's
                            > comments. Think the end of the CD flows nicely from track 9 through
                            > to the end, once you've managed to negotiate the rather uninspiring
                            > Shifter & Carvell remix of $50 Pistol.
                            >
                            > I'm hardly going to comment on the first half of CD2, I do not like
                            > it. The only thing I will say is that the Matrix Dub of Long Range
                            > is disappointing, not a patch on the original Hybrid mix (which is a
                            > true winner) and a tad dull.

                          • Ben Abrams
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 28, 2008
                              Dan,

                              where would I be without you to correct me ;-)

                              Seriously though, I have to agree that the WHOLE of the first half
                              of CD2 is not minimilist tech house, but some, if not most of it
                              is. Never been a fan of the Matrix Dub remixes really, like the
                              banging but too light on the melody in my opinion. The accompanying
                              Echoplex mix to many of the Matrix Dub remixes has always been my
                              preference.

                              Also, I'm really beginning to dig the CD1. The Charlotte James
                              track is a winner, if the new Hybrid album contains songs of that
                              quality then we could be in for a cracker.

                              Does anybody else think that Trifonic track has very similar
                              elements to one or two tracks on 'This Binary Universe'? (I put that
                              in the nicest possible way)

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 29, 2008
                                Sorry, that's the software engineer inside of me. We dorks nit-pick
                                accuracy. I could see the second disc being a disappointment to some.
                                Hell, after hearing the samples I expected it to be disappointing too.
                                I've never been fond of Tech House either but I think they chose tracks
                                that really worked for me personally this time, which I find amazing. I
                                agree, the Echoplex mixes have always been superior to the Matrix Dubs,
                                Gouryella being the prime example of that to me.

                                I find the reactions to disc one interesting. Some people adore it right
                                away, some people it grows on, and some unilaterally hate it and discard
                                it.
                                I'd love an explanation how that works but it's too much of a gray area
                                for that. Do some people expect upbeat from Hybrid only and when it
                                doesn't fit that they move on? Are some people open to different styles
                                but just caught off guard by this particular CD? I know I had a unique
                                entry into electronic music, through FSOL albums. So my tolerance for
                                obtuse sounds is a lot higher than most people who approach from a more
                                dance oriented direction.

                                That's actually a heavy feature of glitch style music. They end up
                                stuttering the hi hats/percussion and causing small portions of sounds to
                                be repeated quickly. It all pretty much ends up sounding the same in the
                                end (to myself anyway.)

                                Dan

> [...]
                                >> > unprogressive progressive trance album which always ends up going
                                >> > nowhere. I told myself by song 6 it doesn't matter, Hybrids own
                                >> > tracks are coming up next, but alas, even these were awful. I
                                > feel
                                >> > a little let down by the boys by them not including any of their
                                > own
                                >> > homegrown tracks especially when the "formula of fear" and "fifty
                                >> > dollar pistol" originals are so powerful. Hybrid hooking up with
                                >> > Harry Gregson Williams was ALWAYS gonna sound good and the beats
                                >> > towards the end of formula of fear are sick so why not include
                                >> > them. My mind is telling me, money making tactic, but
                                > nevertheless
                                >> > I will still buy the singles when they arrive as will, without a
                                >> > doubt, all other long-term hybrid fans.

                                >> > website "soundsystem" check it out. Probably one of the best

                              • Reallyknowyourenemy
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jul 29, 2008
                                  Trifonic used to play live with BT, so guessing he may have given them some plugin treats = )

                                  Find a better answer, faster with the new Yahoo!7 Search. www.yahoo7.com.au/search