Re: Gripe with Wikipedia

  • chrismix50
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2008
      I agree about some of the ineffectiveness...

      I've seen a lot of non Hybrid mixes listed as their
      productions...unfortunately this is pouring over into Discogs too.

      I'm not quite sure what you are talking about related to bootlegs
      though. I'm guessing you are talking about the 1000 greatest hits
      bootleg? I can sort of see why it would be reasonable to list it....So
      Pure was only on the RAAPB promo...and lets be honest...I haven't seen
      a single copy of that in years. (Also...it was an MP3 source...so yeh
      don't bother), but I really don't know of bootlegs that don't have
      unreleased material on them.

      Chris

      --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Simon Chilvers" <schilvers@...> wrote:

      > As much as I find it an invaluable tool for both useful and
      pointless (but
      > interesting) pieces of trivia, and applaud it for its openess,
      wikipedia has
      > its flaws.
      >
      > I won't get started on the more general problems with wikipedia, but
      get to
      > the nittygritty that may concern the likes of us.
      >
      > As Hybrid's page stands at the moment there is a concise discography
      at the
      > bottom of the page detailing all the albums, singles etc along with
      a list
      > of bootlegs. Now I don't have a problem with bootlegs being mentioned,
      > especially when they are of interest to fans like promotional
      pressings of
      > So Pure or TVFoot (ETIIRP), but only a mention!!! Otherwise the casual
      > reader would be completely unaware of this potentially quite good
      and quite
      > interesting body of work that hasn't seen the light of day. I
      wouldn't edit
      > it and then go and shove a link in to Richard Lunds EBay profile!?!?!
      >
      > But when they are CD ripoffs with tracks on there that are available on
      > official albums or downloadable from Distinctive etc I think this
      over steps
      > the mark, and even go as far as to mentioning where you can go to
      get said
      > knockoffs I think this is at best advertising and at worse tantamount to
      > aiding and abetting piracy??? Not knowing the standpoint that
      Distinctive,