Gripe with Wikipedia

  • Simon Chilvers
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2008
      As much as I find it an invaluable tool for both useful and pointless (but
      interesting) pieces of trivia, and applaud it for its openess, wikipedia has
      its flaws.

      I won't get started on the more general problems with wikipedia, but get to
      the nittygritty that may concern the likes of us.

      As Hybrid's page stands at the moment there is a concise discography at the
      bottom of the page detailing all the albums, singles etc along with a list
      of bootlegs. Now I don't have a problem with bootlegs being mentioned,
      especially when they are of interest to fans like promotional pressings of
      So Pure or TVFoot (ETIIRP), but only a mention!!! Otherwise the casual
      reader would be completely unaware of this potentially quite good and quite
      interesting body of work that hasn't seen the light of day. I wouldn't edit
      it and then go and shove a link in to Richard Lunds EBay profile!?!?!

      But when they are CD ripoffs with tracks on there that are available on
      official albums or downloadable from Distinctive etc I think this over steps
      the mark, and even go as far as to mentioning where you can go to get said
      knockoffs I think this is at best advertising and at worse tantamount to
      aiding and abetting piracy??? Not knowing the standpoint that Distinctive,
      Hybrid themselves or Wikipedia would take on this I'm not sure what action
      would be appropriate?

      Grumpy old man mode deactivated.

      Simon

    • Andy Roberts
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2008
        I take it this is about the 3 Russian bootlegs on there -

        Remix and Additional Production Unmixed Version 01
        Hybrid Club Collection Mixed
        Hybrid 1000 Original Hits Unmixed Best Remixes

        - someone who uses Wikipedia could just go in and remove the address?

        I'd have left them off the discography completely, I found the "1000
        Original Hits" cd a couple of years ago and made the mistake of getting
        it.

        It was made from the pirate 192kbps mp3s (the other two almost
        certainly are too), so its not just giving money to pirates its
        absolute rubbish quality.
      • chrismix50
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3, 2008
          I agree about some of the ineffectiveness...

          I've seen a lot of non Hybrid mixes listed as their
          productions...unfortunately this is pouring over into Discogs too.

          I'm not quite sure what you are talking about related to bootlegs
          though. I'm guessing you are talking about the 1000 greatest hits
          bootleg? I can sort of see why it would be reasonable to list it....So
          Pure was only on the RAAPB promo...and lets be honest...I haven't seen
          a single copy of that in years. (Also...it was an MP3 source...so yeh
          don't bother), but I really don't know of bootlegs that don't have
          unreleased material on them.

          Chris