Re:Message Boards

  • Brett Kennelly
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 22, 2007
      Haha I remember years ago I asked the same thing..."we have message boards"
      was the reply, so I just stood back and zipped my mouth :P
    • ally @ hybrid-group.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 22, 2007
        Hi there,

        I chose this system because some people liked getting email and
        replying (and not going to a website) and some people liked using
        the site as a message board and setting their preferences to 'no
        email'.

        There def. pros and cons of both ways :) You do have to read all
        posts on this list...however, sometimes you can miss discussions on
        the bulletin boards as they are seperated out.

        We can change to another message board if everyone wants to... this
        group has been going for 8+ years, so it would kinda an end of an
        era. I might be being too precious though :)

        Ally

        --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "jtstarkiller" <jtsimler3@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi everyone. This isn't related to Hybrid, but more to this
        mailing list. I've been a member for quite some time now (with a
        couple different names), and while I love being a part of this group
        and everyone in it, I've never been too keen on the system itself.
        Yahoo groups are very tough to dig through, and I was wondering, has
        creating a message board ever been considered? I visit the
        hybridized boards quite often, but they don't like general
        discussion about Hybrid there (redirecting it here). Personally, I
        love vBulletin's design, and I think would work really well. A
        place where we can create polls, post pictures, and find old posts
        much much easier.

        > Are there any particular reasons why we haven't, like cost, ease
        of use, etc.? Just curious, because if a message board was created,
        I'd love to help out in any way I can. I'm one of the boys' biggest
        fans.

        > And again, I don't in any way want to show any dissatisfaction
        with those who are running this group. Ally and the moderators have
        done an absolute superb job here. :-)

      • ally @ hybrid-group.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 22, 2007
          Really sorry that you felt you were silenced Brett...I feel bad now,
          sorry.

          Ally

          --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Brett Kennelly" <bman1@...> wrote:

          > Haha I remember years ago I asked the same thing..."we have message
          boards"
          > was the reply, so I just stood back and zipped my mouth :P

        • face
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 22, 2007
            well, i think i speak for andy and all the other mods/admins at
            hybridized.org when i say that that, should ally express interest in
            doing so, she would be more than welcome to shift general hybrid
            discussion to our site would.

            face

            --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "ally @ hybrid-group.com" <list@...>
            wrote:

            > Really sorry that you felt you were silenced Brett...I feel bad now,
            > sorry.
            >
            > Ally
            >
            > --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Brett Kennelly" <bman1@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Haha I remember years ago I asked the same thing..."we have message
            > boards"
            > > was the reply, so I just stood back and zipped my mouth :P

          • RICHARD LUND
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 22, 2007
              On the other side of the arguement..

              Ive also been a member here for many years ....

              And I like the idea of the posts coming to my inbox instead of having to goto a site and search through a message board ....

              RICK

              To: HybridUK@yahoogroups.comFrom: jtsimler3@...: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 10:24:52 +0000Subject: [Hybrid] Message Boards

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 22, 2007
                Wow ...8 years ...

                So who's been here since the beginning ? ...and still posts ??

                I know Ive been lurking for months now .....

                I think Ive been here for about 6-7 years

                RICK

                To: HybridUK@yahoogroups.comFrom: list@...: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 13:08:51 +0000Subject: [Hybrid] Re: Message Boards

                Hi there,I chose this system because some people liked getting email and replying (and not going to a website) and some people liked using the site as a message board and setting their preferences to 'no email'.There def. pros and cons of both ways :) You do have to read all posts on this list...however, sometimes you can miss discussions on the bulletin boards as they are seperated out.We can change to another message board if everyone wants to... this group has been going for 8+ years, so it would kinda an end of an era. I might be being too precious though :)Ally
              • djyobbo
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 22, 2007
                  Despite not being a huge fan of yahoo groups i'd argue that the only
                  reason i'm still on the list is simply because it is a mailing list
                  and not a board. So for all those months where nothing much happens i
                  don't have to keep logging in and checking an actual message board....
                  i guess a message board would be fine for more off-topic/general
                  chatter but i'd prefer to receive stuff as email since the list often
                  goes through phases and i wouldn't have time to check a message board
                  every day/week....

                  wrote:

                  > Hi there,
                  >
                  > I chose this system because some people liked getting email and
                  > replying (and not going to a website) and some people liked using
                  > the site as a message board and setting their preferences to 'no
                  > email'.
                  >
                  > There def. pros and cons of both ways :) You do have to read all
                  > posts on this list...however, sometimes you can miss discussions on
                  > the bulletin boards as they are seperated out.
                  >
                  > We can change to another message board if everyone wants to... this
                  > group has been going for 8+ years, so it would kinda an end of an
                  > era. I might be being too precious though :)
                  >
                  > Ally
                • Brett Kennelly
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 23, 2007
                    Haha don't be sorry, I didn't care, as long as there was something to
                    discuss hybrid I didn't mind J

                    [[[ Moderator (Ally) says: :-) ]]]
                  • Jessica Pelling
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 23, 2007
                      For what it's worth I prefer to get stuff to my email inbox.

                      Jx

                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 23, 2007
                        I've been here the entire duration. My posts have trickled down to
                        practically nothing, but I'm still around.

                        Dan

                        >Wow ...8 years ...
                        >
                        >So who's been here since the beginning ? ...and still posts ??
                        >
                        >I know Ive been lurking for months now .....
                        >
                        >I think Ive been here for about 6-7 years
                        >
                        >RICK
                      • Simon Chilvers
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 24, 2007
                          Feb 2001 for myself...... seems like a lifetime ago!! Before that I was
                          posting and chatting on "aplaceforhybrid" message board run by Josh
                          Higganbotham.

                          Shut down into total lurk mode now... still read stuff though. I definately
                          prefer the mail in my inbox especially as I have far more important stuff to
                          be doing with my time, especially as the discussion has properly slowed down
                          now. It's nice to have it all in a separate folder in my inbox that I can
                          dip into whenever I have 5mins.

                          Si