Message Boards

  • jtstarkiller
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 21, 2007
      Hi everyone. This isn't related to Hybrid, but more to this mailing list. I've been a member for quite some time now (with a couple different names), and while I love being a part of this group and everyone in it, I've never been too keen on the system itself. Yahoo groups are very tough to dig through, and I was wondering, has creating a message board ever been considered? I visit the hybridized boards quite often, but they don't like general discussion about Hybrid there (redirecting it here). Personally, I love vBulletin's design, and I think would work really well. A place where we can create polls, post pictures, and find old posts much much easier.

      Are there any particular reasons why we haven't, like cost, ease of use, etc.? Just curious, because if a message board was created, I'd love to help out in any way I can. I'm one of the boys' biggest fans.

      And again, I don't in any way want to show any dissatisfaction with those who are running this group. Ally and the moderators have done an absolute superb job here. :-)

      jts
    • Brett Kennelly
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 22, 2007
        Haha I remember years ago I asked the same thing..."we have message boards"
        was the reply, so I just stood back and zipped my mouth :P
      • ally @ hybrid-group.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 22, 2007
          Hi there,

          I chose this system because some people liked getting email and
          replying (and not going to a website) and some people liked using
          the site as a message board and setting their preferences to 'no
          email'.

          There def. pros and cons of both ways :) You do have to read all
          posts on this list...however, sometimes you can miss discussions on
          the bulletin boards as they are seperated out.

          We can change to another message board if everyone wants to... this
          group has been going for 8+ years, so it would kinda an end of an
          era. I might be being too precious though :)

          Ally

          --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "jtstarkiller" <jtsimler3@...>

        • ally @ hybrid-group.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 22, 2007
            Really sorry that you felt you were silenced Brett...I feel bad now,
            sorry.

            Ally

            --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Brett Kennelly" <bman1@...> wrote:

            > Haha I remember years ago I asked the same thing..."we have message
            boards"
            > was the reply, so I just stood back and zipped my mouth :P

          • face
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 22, 2007
              well, i think i speak for andy and all the other mods/admins at
              hybridized.org when i say that that, should ally express interest in
              doing so, she would be more than welcome to shift general hybrid
              discussion to our site would.

              face

              --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "ally @ hybrid-group.com" <list@...>
              wrote:

              > Really sorry that you felt you were silenced Brett...I feel bad now,
              > sorry.
              >
              > Ally
              >
              > --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Brett Kennelly" <bman1@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Haha I remember years ago I asked the same thing..."we have message
              > boards"
              > > was the reply, so I just stood back and zipped my mouth :P

            • RICHARD LUND
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 22, 2007
                On the other side of the arguement..

                Ive also been a member here for many years ....

                And I like the idea of the posts coming to my inbox instead of having to goto a site and search through a message board ....

                RICK

                To: HybridUK@yahoogroups.comFrom: jtsimler3@...: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 10:24:52 +0000Subject: [Hybrid] Message Boards

                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 22, 2007
                  Wow ...8 years ...

                  So who's been here since the beginning ? ...and still posts ??

                  I know Ive been lurking for months now .....

                  I think Ive been here for about 6-7 years

                  RICK

                  To: HybridUK@yahoogroups.comFrom: list@...: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 13:08:51 +0000Subject: [Hybrid] Re: Message Boards

                  Hi there,I chose this system because some people liked getting email and replying (and not going to a website) and some people liked using the site as a message board and setting their preferences to 'no email'.There def. pros and cons of both ways :) You do have to read all posts on this list...however, sometimes you can miss discussions on the bulletin boards as they are seperated out.We can change to another message board if everyone wants to... this group has been going for 8+ years, so it would kinda an end of an era. I might be being too precious though :)Ally
                • djyobbo
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 22, 2007
                    Despite not being a huge fan of yahoo groups i'd argue that the only
                    reason i'm still on the list is simply because it is a mailing list
                    and not a board. So for all those months where nothing much happens i
                    don't have to keep logging in and checking an actual message board....
                    i guess a message board would be fine for more off-topic/general
                    chatter but i'd prefer to receive stuff as email since the list often
                    goes through phases and i wouldn't have time to check a message board
                    every day/week....

                    wrote:

                    > Hi there,
                    >
                    > I chose this system because some people liked getting email and
                    > replying (and not going to a website) and some people liked using
                    > the site as a message board and setting their preferences to 'no
                    > email'.
                    >
                    > There def. pros and cons of both ways :) You do have to read all
                    > posts on this list...however, sometimes you can miss discussions on
                    > the bulletin boards as they are seperated out.
                    >
                    > We can change to another message board if everyone wants to... this
                    > group has been going for 8+ years, so it would kinda an end of an
                    > era. I might be being too precious though :)
                    >
                    > Ally
                  • Brett Kennelly
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 23, 2007
                      Haha don't be sorry, I didn't care, as long as there was something to
                      discuss hybrid I didn't mind J

                      [[[ Moderator (Ally) says: :-) ]]]
                    • Jessica Pelling
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 23, 2007
                        For what it's worth I prefer to get stuff to my email inbox.

                        Jx

                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 23, 2007
                          I've been here the entire duration. My posts have trickled down to
                          practically nothing, but I'm still around.

                          Dan

                          >Wow ...8 years ...
                          >
                          >So who's been here since the beginning ? ...and still posts ??
                          >
                          >I know Ive been lurking for months now .....
                          >
                          >I think Ive been here for about 6-7 years
                          >
                          >RICK
                        • Simon Chilvers
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 24, 2007
                            Feb 2001 for myself...... seems like a lifetime ago!! Before that I was
                            posting and chatting on "aplaceforhybrid" message board run by Josh
                            Higganbotham.

                            Shut down into total lurk mode now... still read stuff though. I definately
                            prefer the mail in my inbox especially as I have far more important stuff to
                            be doing with my time, especially as the discussion has properly slowed down
                            now. It's nice to have it all in a separate folder in my inbox that I can
                            dip into whenever I have 5mins.

                            Si