Re: [Hybrid] Hybrid Re_mixed - Your verdict

  • Nordicwarcry
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 5, 2007
      Hello All...

      Have not bought the re:mixed CD yet of Hybrid work, but the sentiment seems to be not good overall. Devout Hybrid follower, devout Hybrid remix collector, but VERY WORRIED hybridite about this mix disc collection and wonder should I bother?

      More thoughts please.............brad

      [[[Moderator (Alan) says: Well, to be fair, the comments thus far have said it's about 50/50 on good mixes versus average to awful ones - if you see it on Overstock.com or Half.com or can get it at half price elsewhere consensus seems to be that would be a good buy.]]]
    • Georgy
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 5, 2007
        You are right. This album is another proof that the art of remixing is long gone, especially with unknown artists. Where are the real remixes, the like of what Deep Dish, Underworld, Hybrid or the mighty Fluke (the greatest remixers of all time) made??

        With the exception of the 3 mentioned here, the rest are not remixes at all, just the remixers' own tracks. They have nothing to do with the original track, throwing a bit of string samples will not qualify. It was funny 15 yrs ago, when Aphex Twin sent back his own track as a remix, but we're not there anymore.

        Gotta admit, if I listen to them as standalone tracks, some sound very good but they are still not remixes. Listen to the Deadset album, and you will hear their Hybrid "remix" on that as well.

        For me, the low point is Jerome Sydenham, whose 2 tracks sound like crap. I mean copying Tiesto is bad in itself, at least he should have copied someone who has produced one decent thing in history.

        BTW, what's up with Distinct'ive?? Many have left them in the last year, Dreadzone, ILS, Hybrid and I'm sure there are more.

        On 11/4/07, jtstarkiller <jtsimler3@...> wrote:

        I wouldn't pin the boys' direction off this remix album. If the rumor is true, they didn't have much to do with this release, especially since they've just left Distinct'ive.

        And I agree, quite a few clunkers in this group. The standouts are the ones we've already heard (Elite Force, Stefan Anion, Group Therapy). Still nice to get all those on CD though, including a nice high quality version of Sleepwalking, the best track on the album.

        The exception is, of course, as you mentioned, Blackout. It's a stunning remix that is also worth the price of the entire album. It's just bloody fantastic. I was telling my brother that it sounds like something off Clint Mansell's score to The Fountain, which is my absolute favorite score of all time.

        But I mean, come on. What the **** is with the Santiago remix of Until Tomorrow? It's absolute garbage and sounds nothing like the original. Same goes for the Keep It In the Family remix. What a waste.
      • Trent Saunders
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 5, 2007
          There truly was so much potential with this album to create something spectacular, Hybrid just don't sound good when thrown into minimal tech house remixes, (With the exception of Group Therapy's mix). Like mentioned before, The BLACKOUT remix is totally stunning and easily the best track in the whole package, why not more of this???? Even if distinctive had involvment with the release then they should know by now Hybrid fans love the beatless cinematic work, the ambient epic sounds like lights go down knives come out and In good we trust, I say 50/50 which I hate to admit as I love all Hybrid's work with a passion, but then again, this isnt exactly new Hybrid material is it? shame all the mixes are not as inspiring as The cinematic orchestra's, stefan anion's and Kosheen's.

          worth buying for the handful of tracks that are good (and when they are good, they are REALLY good) but dont expect each song to blow you away, especially Just for today, my little sister could create something better in garageband than Mr Jerome did to insult this song.