Re: Hybrid Re_mixed - Your verdict

  • nicolaj_sj
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 4, 2007
      The album's decent, the remixes from Kosheen DJ, The Cinematic
      Orchestra, Deadset, Stefan Anion & Starfire, Elite Force, Group
      Therapy, were good. Sleepwalking was a bit short for me, but it was
      good. Theme from Wider Angle remix was good, but I had that remix
      for a couple of months now

      Overall I give the album 7/10

      --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Trent. S" <reallyknowyourenemy@...>
      wrote:

      Hey all,

      Well thought it was time for a feedback post on Hybrid's new album,
      What do we think overall? I was a little disapointed unfortunately
      with some of the tracks that could have been so much more, Jerome
      Sydenham's renditions of Just For Today didn't cut it for me
      personally, way to minimal and nothing at all to clap about. I am a
      huge fan The Cinematic orchestra's version of Blackout, very very
      moving and I was really hoping for some more of this Hybridesque work
      but its Just not there. Sleepwealking is the standout for me, and
      well worth the price of the album if you dont have access to
      Beatport. Anybody got a feeling the boys are walking into tech house
      territory now? These remixes and the last batch of sets they have
      done seem to be pointing to it? could just be a phase, or could just
      be me!!! What do you think, keep the post rolling!!!!
    • Alan Duval
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 4, 2007
        I haven't had the opportunity to listen to the album yet but thought
        the below comment warranted some input...

        One of the reasons I like Hybrid remixes so much is that they add so
        much to a track whilst still staying true to the original, especially
        where lyrics/vocals are involved. To ignore that aesthetic when
        selecting remixes of Hybrid seems inappropriate at the least, and at
        worst, outright disrespectful.

        (Mod)Al

        --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "jtstarkiller" <jtsimler3@...> wrote:
        But I mean, come on. What the **** is with the Santiago remix of Until
        Tomorrow? It's absolute garbage and sounds nothing like the original.
        Same goes for the Keep It In the Family remix. What a waste.
      • Nordicwarcry
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 5, 2007
          Hello All...

          Have not bought the re:mixed CD yet of Hybrid work, but the sentiment seems to be not good overall. Devout Hybrid follower, devout Hybrid remix collector, but VERY WORRIED hybridite about this mix disc collection and wonder should I bother?

          More thoughts please.............brad

          [[[Moderator (Alan) says: Well, to be fair, the comments thus far have said it's about 50/50 on good mixes versus average to awful ones - if you see it on Overstock.com or Half.com or can get it at half price elsewhere consensus seems to be that would be a good buy.]]]
        • Georgy
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 5, 2007
            You are right. This album is another proof that the art of remixing is long gone, especially with unknown artists. Where are the real remixes, the like of what Deep Dish, Underworld, Hybrid or the mighty Fluke (the greatest remixers of all time) made??

            With the exception of the 3 mentioned here, the rest are not remixes at all, just the remixers' own tracks. They have nothing to do with the original track, throwing a bit of string samples will not qualify. It was funny 15 yrs ago, when Aphex Twin sent back his own track as a remix, but we're not there anymore.

            Gotta admit, if I listen to them as standalone tracks, some sound very good but they are still not remixes. Listen to the Deadset album, and you will hear their Hybrid "remix" on that as well.

            For me, the low point is Jerome Sydenham, whose 2 tracks sound like crap. I mean copying Tiesto is bad in itself, at least he should have copied someone who has produced one decent thing in history.

            BTW, what's up with Distinct'ive?? Many have left them in the last year, Dreadzone, ILS, Hybrid and I'm sure there are more.

            On 11/4/07, jtstarkiller <jtsimler3@...> wrote:

            I wouldn't pin the boys' direction off this remix album. If the rumor is true, they didn't have much to do with this release, especially since they've just left Distinct'ive.

            And I agree, quite a few clunkers in this group. The standouts are the ones we've already heard (Elite Force, Stefan Anion, Group Therapy). Still nice to get all those on CD though, including a nice high quality version of Sleepwalking, the best track on the album.

            The exception is, of course, as you mentioned, Blackout. It's a stunning remix that is also worth the price of the entire album. It's just bloody fantastic. I was telling my brother that it sounds like something off Clint Mansell's score to The Fountain, which is my absolute favorite score of all time.

            But I mean, come on. What the **** is with the Santiago remix of Until Tomorrow? It's absolute garbage and sounds nothing like the original. Same goes for the Keep It In the Family remix. What a waste.
          • Trent Saunders
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 5, 2007
              There truly was so much potential with this album to create something spectacular, Hybrid just don't sound good when thrown into minimal tech house remixes, (With the exception of Group Therapy's mix). Like mentioned before, The BLACKOUT remix is totally stunning and easily the best track in the whole package, why not more of this???? Even if distinctive had involvment with the release then they should know by now Hybrid fans love the beatless cinematic work, the ambient epic sounds like lights go down knives come out and In good we trust, I say 50/50 which I hate to admit as I love all Hybrid's work with a passion, but then again, this isnt exactly new Hybrid material is it? shame all the mixes are not as inspiring as The cinematic orchestra's, stefan anion's and Kosheen's.

              worth buying for the handful of tracks that are good (and when they are good, they are REALLY good) but dont expect each song to blow you away, especially Just for today, my little sister could create something better in garageband than Mr Jerome did to insult this song.