Hybrid's Glastonbury set

  • Max Hogg
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 25, 2007
      Inspired by jts' recent article about Hybrid, I wanted to share my experience of them at Glastonbury festival on Saturday night.

      I've seen the guys live four or five times now, and this was by a long way the best set I've seen. Not to say the others weren't good, but to me Saturday night was phenomenal.

      What made the difference compared to previous gigs was the sound - I often feel that the live sets suffer because the sound system isn't good enough to cope with the complexity of Hybrid's music. In previous gigs either the intricacies of the track are lost or the vocalists are too quiet or both. This time they were both damn near perfect in my eyes. In recent gigs I've generally judged the set by whether they manage to pull off Until Tomorrow cos its my favourite track off ICN but, from what I've seen, its pretty hard to make the live version do justice to the track. For the first time it was the absolute highlight of the set for me.

      It helped that Peter Distefano and HGW were in attendance - and as has been mentioned on this list before, Peter's creative use of the violin bow (and, at times, the unplugged end of the guitar cable) as well as his stage presence were great.

      The crowd were also the best I've seen for a Hybrid gig - often the guys don't seem to attract the crowd they should or the crowd doesn't seem too interested. But on Saturday the crowd were, to paraphrase Chris (I think - my memory escapes me!), 'just a bunch of people in the mud in a tent in the middle of a field having a wicked time' and you could tell by the roars of approval that others enjoyed the set as much as I did.

      I can never remember set lists but the gig was summed up well by my
      neighbour who asked incredulously afterwards; 'That was an hour? It felt like ten minutes!'

      Anyway, much respect to the guys for putting on a blinding show and I'd be interested to hear if anyone else was at the gig as well, and what they thought of it. Sorry for the long post, but I had to share my excitement!

      Max
    • Julia
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 27, 2007
        Wish I could have been there. I'm dieing for themn to return to DC.. I
        must be patient I guess. They rocked the 9:30 Club here and sounded
        awesome.... Sounds like an awesome festival tho .. wish i could have
        been there.

        --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Max Hogg" <maxhogg@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Antony Lincoln
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 28, 2007
          Hybrid certainly were the highlight of my weekend (didn't think it
          could get much better than Trentemoeller on Friday night to be honest)

          We managed to catch them soundchecking around 10am Saturday morning
          (completely by accident) and they were beginning to pull in a crowd
          then... the sound was thundering across the site. I did think it
          could've done with turning up a notch in the evening, but from what
          I've heard, officials onsite were being cautious with regard to the
          festivals licence.

          As for the set, I only have one previous gig to compare to - The
          Warehouse Project in December last year (a birthday I'll never
          forget!). The Glastonbury set came close to this... only let down by
          the inclusion of some new material in the middle of the set (from
          memory wedged between Choke and Until Tommorrow). Obviously this isn't
          a criticism of the material itself which is fantastic... the set just
          seemed to lose some of its early pace and energy.

          Looking back at my photos, there was quite a crowd outside clamouring to get in!

          Many apologies to anyone who had to deal with a sweaty green Hybrid
          t-shirt wearing bloke... that was me!

          On 25/06/07, Max Hogg <maxhogg@...> wrote:
[...]

        • teamwak
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 28, 2007
            Hi all

            Caught Hybrids set at Glastonbury. First time I had heard of them,
            although I had heard Until Tomorrow before.

            Since Saturday I have bought Wider Angle and I Choose Noise and
            joined this forum.

            Hope thats good enough

            :)

            --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Antony Lincoln" <antonyl@...> wrote:

> [...]
            well as his stage presence were great.

            > The crowd were also the best I've seen for a Hybrid gig - often the
            guys don't seem to attract the crowd they should or the crowd doesn't
            seem too interested. But on Saturday the crowd were, to paraphrase
            Chris (I think - my memory escapes me!), 'just a bunch of people in
            the mud in a tent in the middle of a field having a wicked time' and
            you could tell by the roars of approval that others enjoyed the set
            as much as I did.

            > I can never remember set lists but the gig was summed up well by my
            neighbour who asked incredulously afterwards; 'That was an hour? It
            felt like ten minutes!'

            > Anyway, much respect to the guys for putting on a blinding show and
            I'd be interested to hear if anyone else was at the gig as well, and
            what they thought of it. Sorry for the long post, but I had to share

          • garry faulkner
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 28, 2007
              Hey all. great post maxx. Going to Glade festival and am soooooooooo now looking forward to same. Aparently the sound system has been sorted and upgraded. Have too seen 3 - 5 Hybrid live sets last couple of years and agree that sound systems have not done them any justice. After your post, im hoping for the set ive allways dreamt of. Anywho, let me know if any of you guys will be there and the beers r on me. Ive become a bit of a Hybrid stalker type weirdo and have managed to buy the same t-shirt Chris wore for many of last years gigs, i.e., the Stussy white tee with cool electro skull on front and rear (anybody know what im on about?). Feel like a kid on x-mas eve as only 3 weeks till Glade. Ya got HYBRID, plumps, Unkle, meat katie, rennie pilgrim to name but a few. gonna be outa this Feckin world......GAZ!

            • Rainer Knobloch
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 28, 2007
                I also grabbed the guys on Saturday Night. I've seen
                them twice before, but I would agree that this was the
                finest i've ever seen them.

                The feeling inside that tent was incredible, I went
                with the aim to keep a set list in mind, after secret
                circles opened, then I choose noise, I was simply too
                blown away to keep track beyond that.

                Simply breathtaking, I like max's friend could not
                fathom that the hour went so unbelievably quickly. I
                shook my head in utter astonishment and disbelief and
                walked back out into the mud (lovely that the west
                coast dance tent was dry for hybrids set), not really
                sure where to go next. Until Tomorrow simply blew me
                away.

                The only slightly annoying thing was that Charlotte
                James' microphone appeared to be turned down too low (
                i think she came out after I choose noise...could be
                wrong), I noticed her signalling to the mixing guy to
                turn it up, but it never got any higher.

                It was an amazing gig, there are some photos on
                hybridized.org
                (http://www.hybridized.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4955&page=2&highlight=glastonbury),
                apparently they played a dj set on the thursday, but i
                didn't see that.

                Another big highlight was Trentemøller the night
                before, who I saw for the first time...he also puts on
                a wonderful live act, for those who are fans.

                now.
                http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/
              • nicolaj_sj
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 3, 2007
                  Here's a list:

                  1. Everything Is Brand New / Secret Circles
                  2. I Choose Noise
                  3. Last Man Standing
                  3. Kill City (VIP Mix) (Will Not Be Released)
                  4. Choke
                  5. Until Tomorrow
                  6. If I Survive (2006 Mix) (Will Not Be Released)
                  7. Little Bit Of This (Hybrid Mix) (??? Release)
                  8. Beachcoma
                  9. Just For Today
                  ---Encore--
                  10. Symphony (2006 Mix) (Will Not Be Released)

                  Thanks to Chrismix50 for the list!

                  --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Julia" <RavenButterfly@...> wrote:
                  Wish I could have been there. I'm dieing for themn to return to
                  DC.. I must be patient I guess. They rocked the 9:30 Club here and sounded awesome.... Sounds like an awesome festival tho .. wish i could have been there.
                • Trisram Dawahoo
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 4, 2007
                    This set sounds interesting (all those 06 remixes/reworks)

                    Is there anywhere we can listen to this set?

                    Thanks!
                  • hhahn@suddenlink.net
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 4, 2007
                      Try here, it will only be up a week though:

                      http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/annienightingale/

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 5, 2007
                        Thanks for the links, dude! It's much appreciated.

                        It seems that the Annie Nightingale one is a DJ set.

                        Hybrid In The Mix Live
                        Meat Katie & D Ramirez ft. Odissi � �Stop the Revolution� (Adrift)
                        Andy Page � �Don�t Die Don�t Kill Anyone� (White Label)
                        Tom Neville � �Robot Restroom� (Love Minus Zero)
                        Skool Of Thought � �Tugnut� (Supercharged)
                        Unknown � �Burn� (Unknown)
                        Danni Banitche � �Ride� (Unknown)
                        John Graham � �Dancing In Dark Rooms�
                        Nathan Fake � �Chronicles Of Narnia (Hybrid Remix)� (White Label)
                        Them From D�j� vu (Hybrid Remix)� (White Label)

                        The poster before referred to live sets (tracklisting below)

                        1. Everything Is Brand New / Secret Circles
                        2. I Choose Noise
                        3. Last Man Standing
                        3. Kill City (VIP Mix) (Will Not Be Released)
                        4. Choke
                        5. Until Tomorrow
                        6. If I Survive (2006 Mix) (Will Not Be Released)
                        7. Little Bit Of This (Hybrid Mix) (??? Release)
                        8. Beachcoma
                        9. Just For Today
                        ---Encore--
                        10. Symphony (2006 Mix) (Will Not Be Released)

                        BTW - I jacked the tracklisting straight from the previous post - so thanks
                        to the original poster!

                        tris
                      • Pev
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 5, 2007
                          Anyone have a copy of this at > 32Kbit?!

                          ~Pev

                          Trisram Dawahoo wrote:
                          Thanks for the links, dude! It's much appreciated.

                          It seems that the Annie Nightingale one is a DJ set.
                        • Peter Chapman
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 5, 2007
                            Cheers for posting that, listening to it now. The whole set is also
                            available at http://www.newmixes.com/annie_nightingale-live_on_radio_1-cable-07-02-2007.html so you can still find it after it disappears off the BBC website.
                          • chrismix50

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 5, 2007
                                Hmm I wonder if this is a throwback set...

                                Intresting to see the Escaping London remix in there again....I would
                                love to get a hold of that.

                                I'm assuming "Theme from Deja Vu" is Humvee Chase?

                                Chris

                                --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Trisram Dawahoo" <tris_d@...> wrote:

                                Thanks for the links, dude! It's much appreciated.

                                It seems that the Annie Nightingale one is a DJ set.

                                Hybrid In The Mix Live
                                Meat Katie & D Ramirez ft. Odissi – `Stop the Revolution' (Adrift)
                                Andy Page – `Don't Die Don't Kill Anyone' (White Label)
                                Tom Neville – `Robot Restroom' (Love Minus Zero)
                                Skool Of Thought – `Tugnut' (Supercharged)
                                Unknown – `Burn' (Unknown)
                                Danni Banitche – `Ride' (Unknown)
                                John Graham – `Dancing In Dark Rooms'
                                Nathan Fake – `Chronicles Of Narnia (Hybrid Remix)' (White Label)
                                Them From Déjà vu (Hybrid Remix)' (White Label)

                                tris
                              • Chris

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 5, 2007
                                      The whole tracklist is messed up...I wonder who did it.

                                      From the "Danny Bonnici" typo, to "Don't Die..." being attributed to
                                      just Andy Page instead of Hi-Fi Bugs, and the two Hybrid remixes
                                      being totally wrong...

                                      --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "nicolaj_sj" <nicolaj@...> wrote:

                                      > You're welcome. Can someone find a way to rip Hybrid Live?
                                      >
                                      > Also there's something wrong with the tracklist. "Chronicles Of
                                      Narnia" is originally composed by Harry Gregson-Williams, and so
                                      is 'Theme From Déjà Vu'.

                                      > --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Trisram Dawahoo" <tris_d@> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > Thanks for the links, dude! It's much appreciated.
                                      >
                                      > It seems that the Annie Nightingale one is a DJ set.
                                      >
                                      > Hybrid In The Mix Live
                                      > Meat Katie & D Ramirez ft. Odissi – `Stop the Revolution' (Adrift)
                                      > Andy Page – `Don't Die Don't Kill Anyone' (White Label)
                                      > Tom Neville – `Robot Restroom' (Love Minus Zero)
                                      > Skool Of Thought – `Tugnut' (Supercharged)
                                      > Unknown – `Burn' (Unknown)
                                      > Danni Banitche – `Ride' (Unknown)
                                      > John Graham – `Dancing In Dark Rooms'
                                      > Nathan Fake – `Chronicles Of Narnia (Hybrid Remix)' (White Label)
                                      > Them From Déjà vu (Hybrid Remix)' (White Label)
                                      >

                                      > The poster before referred to live sets (tracklisting below)
                                      >
                                      > 1. Everything Is Brand New / Secret Circles
                                      > 2. I Choose Noise
                                      > 3. Last Man Standing
                                      > 3. Kill City (VIP Mix) (Will Not Be Released)
                                      > 4. Choke
                                      > 5. Until Tomorrow
                                      > 6. If I Survive (2006 Mix) (Will Not Be Released)
                                      > 7. Little Bit Of This (Hybrid Mix) (??? Release)
                                      > 8. Beachcoma
                                      > 9. Just For Today
                                      > ---Encore--
                                      > 10. Symphony (2006 Mix) (Will Not Be Released)
                                      >
                                      > BTW - I jacked the tracklisting straight from the previous post -
                                      so thanks to the original poster!

                                      > tris

                                    • jtstarkiller
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 6, 2007
                                        << I'm assuming "Theme from Deja Vu" is Humvee Chase?>>

                                        I'd always heard it as the remix to "You Can Save Her", but you might be right. I haven't
                                        actually listened to the score.

                                        --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "chrismix50" <richlea@...> wrote:

                                        > Hmm I wonder if this is a throwback set...
                                        >
                                        > Intresting to see the Escaping London remix in there again....I would
                                        > love to get a hold of that.
                                        >
                                        > I'm assuming "Theme from Deja Vu" is Humvee Chase?
                                        >
                                        > Chris
                                        >

                                        > --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Trisram Dawahoo" <tris_d@> wrote:
                                        >
                                        > Thanks for the links, dude! It's much appreciated.
                                        >
                                        > It seems that the Annie Nightingale one is a DJ set.
                                        >
                                        > Hybrid In The Mix Live
                                        > Meat Katie & D Ramirez ft. Odissi – `Stop the Revolution' (Adrift)
                                        > Andy Page – `Don't Die Don't Kill Anyone' (White Label)
                                        > Tom Neville – `Robot Restroom' (Love Minus Zero)
                                        > Skool Of Thought – `Tugnut' (Supercharged)
                                        > Unknown – `Burn' (Unknown)
                                        > Danni Banitche – `Ride' (Unknown)
                                        > John Graham – `Dancing In Dark Rooms'
                                        > Nathan Fake – `Chronicles Of Narnia (Hybrid Remix)' (White Label)
                                        > Them From Déjà vu (Hybrid Remix)' (White Label)
                                        >
                                        > tris

                                      • Chris
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 6, 2007
                                          Still cuts off at the end, before it even gets anywhere near the Harry
                                          Hregson William's remixes.

                                          Chris

                                          --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Chapman" <peter1.chapman@...>

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jul 7, 2007
                                            On the release soundtrack, "You Can Save Her" and "Humvee Chase" were
                                            mis-labeled, so you have to switch the track titles around. That
                                            confused some people, thinking Hybrid remixed "You Can Save Her".

                                            --Rukes

                                            --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "jtstarkiller" <jtsimler3@...> wrote:

                                            > << I'm assuming "Theme from Deja Vu" is Humvee Chase?>>
                                            >
                                            > I'd always heard it as the remix to "You Can Save Her", but you
                                            might be right. I haven't
                                            > actually listened to the score.
                                            >
                                            > --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "chrismix50" <richlea@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Hmm I wonder if this is a throwback set...
                                            > >
                                            > > Intresting to see the Escaping London remix in there again....I
                                            would
                                            > > love to get a hold of that.
                                            > >
                                            > > I'm assuming "Theme from Deja Vu" is Humvee Chase?
                                            > >
                                            > > Chris
                                            > >

                                            > > --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Trisram Dawahoo" <tris_d@>
                                            wrote:

                                            > > Thanks for the links, dude! It's much appreciated.
                                            > >
                                            > > It seems that the Annie Nightingale one is a DJ set.
                                            > >
                                            > > Hybrid In The Mix Live
                                            > > Meat Katie & D Ramirez ft. Odissi – `Stop the Revolution' (Adrift)
                                            > > Andy Page – `Don't Die Don't Kill Anyone' (White Label)
                                            > > Tom Neville – `Robot Restroom' (Love Minus Zero)
                                            > > Skool Of Thought – `Tugnut' (Supercharged)
                                            > > Unknown – `Burn' (Unknown)
                                            > > Danni Banitche – `Ride' (Unknown)
                                            > > John Graham – `Dancing In Dark Rooms'
                                            > > Nathan Fake – `Chronicles Of Narnia (Hybrid Remix)' (White Label)
                                            > > Them From Déjà vu (Hybrid Remix)' (White Label)
                                            > >
                                            > > tris

                                          • face
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jul 10, 2007
                                              Here's the corrected tracklisting of what was aired on Annie's show,
                                              which is now on hybridized.org:

                                              1. ID
                                              2. Malente - Killer Applikation (Aston Shuffle 'Badonkadonk' Remix)
                                              [Moonbootique]
                                              3. Meat Katie & D. Ramirez featuring Odissi - Stop the Revolution
                                              (Jamie McHugh Remix) [Lot49]
                                              4. Hi-Fi Bugs - Don't Die, Don't Kill Anyone [CDR]
                                              5. ID
                                              6. Tom Neville Presents Colouring In - Robot Restroom [Love Minus
                                              Zero]

                                              thanks, Drew, for correcting the Hi-Fi Bugs tune (not just Andy
                                              Page!).

                                              Face

                                              --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Rukes" <rukes@...> wrote:

                                              The whole tracklist is messed up...I wonder who did it.

                                              From the "Danny Bonnici" typo, to "Don't Die..." being attributed
                                              to just Andy Page instead of Hi-Fi Bugs, and the two Hybrid remixes being totally wrong...