Re: SF Show

  • James
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 10 4:57 PM
      The show was awesome, but I wish I had brought some earplugs, as I was
      right up front. :D
      I was scared at first that there would be a really bad turnout--the
      dance floor was completely empty until one of the opening DJs finally
      started throwing on some breaks. :-)

      Peter Distefano using a violin bow on his guitar was really something!
      Oh and, the second track that Charlotte James sang was her track "A
      Little Bit of This" and was remixed by Hybrid for the tour. I hope it
      gets an official release! She said that she was afraid that it was too
      rocky sounding for the rest of what was played, but I think that it fit
      right in with the sound of John Graham's tracks.

      I saw one fellow up front with a Hybrid tshirt under his jacket... Was
      that you, renegadesoundwaves? Looking at your photos, it looks like
      they're from where that person was standing. I was the skinny black guy
      up front with the two cameras. :D

      Well, it was an honor to get to be the first stop on their US tour, and
      I hope that many who were there are on the list! Oh, by the way, here
      are the photos
      <http://www.flickr.com/photos/minceyfresh/sets/72157594579670821/> I
      took that night!

      If the link doesn't work, here's the url:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/minceyfresh/sets/72157594579670821/

      If that doesn't work, try typing 'hybrid ruby skye' (without the
      quotation marks) in the Flickr's photo search. :-)

      James M.

      --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "renegadesoundwaves" <keliher@...>
      wrote:

      > The SF show started at 11:45 and completed about 1:15 so this is the
      > advantages of being the lead group - 90 minute set. From memory
      > the songs were...
    • Nordicwarcry
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 11 8:18 AM
        Hello,

        Can someone be kind enough and who is also "in the
        know" to list the 6 cities where they are playing
        instead of boasting that "I am looking forward to
        traveling 300 miles to see them....."

        Thanks....
      • Julia
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 12 7:20 AM
          Cant wait to see the DC version Thursday night!!!!!!!!!!

          wrote:

          > The SF show started at 11:45 and completed about 1:15 so this is the
          > advantages of being the lead group - 90 minute set. From memory
          > the songs were... (not certain of the order, but I think this is
          it):

          > Last Man Standing
          > I Choose Noise
          > If I Survive
          > Unknown
          > Kill City
          > Higher Than A Skyscraper (Twitch & Sweat Mix)
          > Choke
          > Dream Stalker
          > Until Tomorrow
          > Altitude
          > Just For Today
          > Symphony
          >
          > Best Guess
          > The female vocalist sang 'If I Survive' which was a good effort but
          > lack the gusto of Julee Cruise. However it was nice to hear the
          song
          > again live. The next song was sung by her with a guitar sounding
          like
          > a combo rock/house song. Quivver had an excellent stage presence
          > perfectly capturing the two songs Choke and Until Tomorrow with
          > precision. The guitarist for Porno for Pyros did some amazing
          > stuff on his guitar with a bow, and throughout the show showed how
          > talented he is with the instrument. Kill City was the highlight
          never
          > sounding better. Dream Stalker sounds 10x better live than on the
          > CD, matter of fact the songs on the third album really came to life
          > live whereas on the CD they seem to lack that spacious sweeping
          > soundscapes that made Wide Angel so good. Of course the songs are
          > remixed and are different than the album versions. A lot more
          > breakbeat has been injected into these songs to keep the crowd
          > dancing. An excellent evening well worth the time and money, highly
          > recommended for Hybrid fans and the curious wondering what all the
          > fuss is about will find out first hand. If you want to see pictures
          > of the show go to www.keliher.net.

        • chrismix50
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 12 8:14 AM
            Hell yes!

            I'm bringing a couple friends with me to the DC show...will be in the
            front with my green Hybrid T-shirt rocking my face off.

            Really hoping I can get the boys to autograph my "From the Forthcoming
            album Wide Angle..." CD...that would be a nice little memory.

            First time seeing Hybrid live..and hopefully not the last.

            Are they playing 90 mins sets everywhere because they are headlining,
            rather than being part of a festival?

            -Chris

            --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Julia" <RavenButterfly@...> wrote:

            > Cant wait to see the DC version Thursday night!!!!!!!!!!
            >
            > --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "renegadesoundwaves" <keliher@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > The SF show started at 11:45 and completed about 1:15 so this is the
            > > advantages of being the lead group - 90 minute set. From memory
            > > the songs were... (not certain of the order, but I think this is
            > it):
            > >
            > > Last Man Standing
            > > I Choose Noise
            > > If I Survive
            > > Unknown
            > > Kill City
            > > Higher Than A Skyscraper (Twitch & Sweat Mix)
            > > Choke
            > > Dream Stalker
            > > Until Tomorrow
            > > Altitude
            > > Just For Today
            > > Symphony
            > >
            > > Best Guess
            > > The female vocalist sang 'If I Survive' which was a good effort but
            > > lack the gusto of Julee Cruise. However it was nice to hear the
            > song
            > > again live. The next song was sung by her with a guitar sounding
            > like
            > > a combo rock/house song. Quivver had an excellent stage presence
            > > perfectly capturing the two songs Choke and Until Tomorrow with
            > > precision. The guitarist for Porno for Pyros did some amazing
            > > stuff on his guitar with a bow, and throughout the show showed how
            > > talented he is with the instrument. Kill City was the highlight
            > never
            > > sounding better. Dream Stalker sounds 10x better live than on the
            > > CD, matter of fact the songs on the third album really came to life
            > > live whereas on the CD they seem to lack that spacious sweeping
            > > soundscapes that made Wide Angel so good. Of course the songs are
            > > remixed and are different than the album versions. A lot more
            > > breakbeat has been injected into these songs to keep the crowd
            > > dancing. An excellent evening well worth the time and money, highly
            > > recommended for Hybrid fans and the curious wondering what all the
            > > fuss is about will find out first hand. If you want to see pictures
            > > of the show go to www.keliher.net.

          • Drew Ressler
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 12 9:01 AM
              You need to visit http://www.hybridsoundsystem.com/ more often :)

              08th March '07 - Ruby Skye, San Francisco
              10th March '07 - Avalon, Los Angeles
              13th March '07 - Club Sound, Salt Lake City
              14th March '07 - Gothic, Denver
              15th March '07 - 930 Club, D.C.
              16th March '07 - Webster Hall, NYC
              17th March '07 - Vision, Chicago
              18th March '07 - House of Blues, Orlando
              24th March '07 - Ultra Music Festival, Miami

              Thanks

              Drew Ressler
              http://www.rukes.com/

            • jazzkickerr@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 12 11:10 AM
                THANKS so much! =)

                In a message dated 3/12/2007 1:09:08 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                rukes@... writes:

                You need to visit _http://www.hybridsohttp://wwwhttp_
                (http://www.hybridsoundsystem.com/) more often :)

                08th March '07 - Ruby Skye, San Francisco
                10th March '07 - Avalon, Los Angeles
                13th March '07 - Club Sound, Salt Lake City
                14th March '07 - Gothic, Denver
                15th March '07 - 930 Club, D.C.
                16th March '07 - Webster Hall, NYC
                17th March '07 - Vision, Chicago
                18th March '07 - House of Blues, Orlando
                24th March '07 - Ultra Music Festival, Miami

                Thanks

                Drew Ressler
                _http://www.rukes.http_ (http://www.rukes.com/)
              • Julia
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 13 8:06 AM
                  I hope they do all the same here in DC Thursday night.. I am dieing
                  to hear Until Tomorrow, I have been listening to it off of Quivver's
                  myspace page. I love that track alot.

                  I am really looking forward to this. I have been at every DJ set
                  Hybrid have done in DC for several years and when I got to talk with
                  them at the Buzz Halloween party I really found them to be a couple
                  awesome guys..

                  To finally hear a live set is going to be truly amazing..

                  wrote:

                  > The SF show started at 11:45 and completed about 1:15 so this is the
                  > advantages of being the lead group - 90 minute set. From memory
                  > the songs were... (not certain of the order, but I think this is
                  it):

                  > Last Man Standing
                  > I Choose Noise
                  > If I Survive
                  > Unknown
                  > Kill City
                  > Higher Than A Skyscraper (Twitch & Sweat Mix)
                  > Choke
                  > Dream Stalker
                  > Until Tomorrow
                  > Altitude
                  > Just For Today
                  > Symphony
                  >
                  > Best Guess
                  > The female vocalist sang 'If I Survive' which was a good effort but
                  > lack the gusto of Julee Cruise. However it was nice to hear the
                  song
                  > again live. The next song was sung by her with a guitar sounding
                  like
                  > a combo rock/house song. Quivver had an excellent stage presence
                  > perfectly capturing the two songs Choke and Until Tomorrow with
                  > precision. The guitarist for Porno for Pyros did some amazing
                  > stuff on his guitar with a bow, and throughout the show showed how
                  > talented he is with the instrument. Kill City was the highlight
                  never
                  > sounding better. Dream Stalker sounds 10x better live than on the
                  > CD, matter of fact the songs on the third album really came to life
                  > live whereas on the CD they seem to lack that spacious sweeping
                  > soundscapes that made Wide Angel so good. Of course the songs are
                  > remixed and are different than the album versions. A lot more
                  > breakbeat has been injected into these songs to keep the crowd
                  > dancing. An excellent evening well worth the time and money, highly
                  > recommended for Hybrid fans and the curious wondering what all the
                  > fuss is about will find out first hand. If you want to see pictures
                  > of the show go to www.keliher.net.

                • renegadesoundwaves
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 15 10:03 PM
                    --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "James" <minceyfresh@...> wrote:

                    > I saw one fellow up front with a Hybrid tshirt under his jacket...
                    Was
                    > that you, renegadesoundwaves? Looking at your photos, it looks like
                    > they're from where that person was standing.

                    Yep that was me the only one in the bar with a Hybrid shirt, I had
                    hope you would have come up and say hi but I guess you were staking
                    out your territory up in front.
                    >>>I was the skinny black guy> up front with the two cameras. :D
                    Hell yea I remember you because I had my camera in my top pocket of
                    my shirt hidden under my coat which went undetected upon entering the
                    club. I was wondering if it was cool to snap photos and there was
                    James checking the lighting with his meter, getting every angle with
                    his camera and the bouncer just looked the other way.

                    Cool, I thought, so when Hybrid came on, pulled out my camera and
                    started snapping. Snapped about 50 photos but only posted the best
                    for the HybridUK group. Posted it three hours after the show for the
                    group because I knew some were excited about the tour and of pictures
                    of the new female lead singer and with SF being her first
                    performance? If any of you haven't seen them you can at
                    <http://www.keliher.net> which was posted in an earlier message. I
                    wish I had taken a picture of the crowd it was packed in there and
                    that is rare for a Thursday night show that started at 11:45 and with
                    absolutely no advertising that I saw in the city paper. I think
                    credit is due to this board and word of mouth that filled the night
                    club. The boys were quite pleased with the crowd and the response
                    they were getting as Chris said, "We always love coming to San
                    Fransico" in his closing remarks before leaving stage.

                    I hope Hybrid recorded the live set off the boards for it was just an
                    awesome show that I don't think can be duplicated. The energy was
                    there both the band the crowd, the electricty was everywhere, it was
                    almost perfect. James, earplugs? I thought the volume was perfect and
                    the sounds distinct. One of the best acoustics I have ever heard.
                    Especially, Kill City and Dreamstalker which whipped the crowd into a
                    frenzy with all the breakbeat loops looping over and over and over,
                    while at least my side of the stage they were going bonkers. The only
                    complaint was that I also had a hard time hearing the vocals for If I
                    survive as though they got lost in all the programming, but I just
                    love the instrumental version of that song too. It was great to hear
                    live again. I don't want to sound redundant but since my last post I
                    did not play any music on the drive home. Just aavouring what I had
                    just witnessed.
                  • zem_the_mattress
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 19 9:43 PM
                      > I wish I had taken a picture of the crowd it was packed in there
                      > and that is rare for a Thursday night show that started at 11:45
                      > and with absolutely no advertising that I saw in the city paper. I
                      > think credit is due to this board and word of mouth that filled the
                      > night club. The boys were quite pleased with the crowd and the
                      > response they were getting as Chris said, "We always love coming to
                      > San Fransico" in his closing remarks before leaving stage.

                      I wanted to expound on this point a bit:

                      The PR machine for Hybrid is horrible. It's amazing that grassroots promotion got the sort of response it did get for the SF (and I presume LA too) shows. But I only heard of this about 2.5 weeks prior, and that's because I was looking for it (thanks Drew). And I am pretty on top of the scene around here. I can typically expect flyers, promo e-mails from distinctive + local promoters, and Myspace bulletins. There were none of these things until around a week in advance. While I am a pretty tireless and effective Hybrid pusher, I know a couple of people who discovered them at Coachella and then heard nothing about the current tour. So, when I get the ubiquitous (for myspace world) random myspace mail asking: "Dude, what's Hybrid been up to?" the day after the LA show, it saddens me to tell him he just missed the local date.

                      In my humble - but passionately held - opinion, this is regrettable, and I would think preventable. Many lesser (but sadly more popular) talents are better advertised than our boys. Don't know if this is a Chaotica/Distinctive issue or what, but I sincerely hope it changes in the future...

                      ...off rant mode

                      Dave

                      [[[Moderator (Alan) says: Whilst this issue may have some little to do with Hybrid/Distinct'ive in that they should certainly promote their dates to their fan-base this is surely more of an issue with the promoter (I use the term loosely).]]]
                    • Ryan Stevenson
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 22 10:43 AM
                        distinctive also does not provide much in the way of tour or promo funds,
                        which is why they have limited dates in the US (after the Aussie shows)...
                        at least thats the impression i got after speaking with the boys

                        ryan