SF Show

  • renegadesoundwaves
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 9, 2007
      The SF show started at 11:45 and completed about 1:15 so this is the
      advantages of being the lead group - 90 minute set. From memory
      the songs were... (not certain of the order, but I think this is it):

      Last Man Standing
      I Choose Noise
      If I Survive
      Unknown
      Kill City
      Higher Than A Skyscraper (Twitch & Sweat Mix)
      Choke
      Dream Stalker
      Until Tomorrow
      Altitude
      Just For Today
      Symphony

      Best Guess
      The female vocalist sang 'If I Survive' which was a good effort but
      lack the gusto of Julee Cruise. However it was nice to hear the song
      again live. The next song was sung by her with a guitar sounding like
      a combo rock/house song. Quivver had an excellent stage presence
      perfectly capturing the two songs Choke and Until Tomorrow with
      precision. The guitarist for Porno for Pyros did some amazing
      stuff on his guitar with a bow, and throughout the show showed how
      talented he is with the instrument. Kill City was the highlight never
      sounding better. Dream Stalker sounds 10x better live than on the
      CD, matter of fact the songs on the third album really came to life
      live whereas on the CD they seem to lack that spacious sweeping
      soundscapes that made Wide Angel so good. Of course the songs are
      remixed and are different than the album versions. A lot more
      breakbeat has been injected into these songs to keep the crowd
      dancing. An excellent evening well worth the time and money, highly
      recommended for Hybrid fans and the curious wondering what all the
      fuss is about will find out first hand. If you want to see pictures
      of the show go to www.keliher.net.
    • chrismix50
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 9, 2007
        The new singer is Charolette James (Mikes girlfriend I believe).

        I also believe that that unknown song is a remix of one of her tracks... first one on the myspace streamer if you look up her site.

        Really looking foward to the DC show....and praying we are so lucky to get 90 mins too!

        --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "renegadesoundwaves" <keliher@...> wrote:

[...]

      • d moffett
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 10, 2007
          It was indeed a rockin set.....

          I think something was up with the sound boards until
          Kill City, because Ms. Charlotte's vox sounded fuzzy.
          I can tell she's a great singer (not to mention
          smokin' hot!) but I think she got robbed by the
          system. Quivver did a much better job than @
          Coachella, swaggering around the stage like a true
          rock frontman. Peter was great too, was playing on
          every track minus the Symphony encore - really did a
          great job on Dreamstalker. There were live drums as
          well.....

          This was a show for the fans. When I saw the
          Morning Sci Fi tour, and Coachella, those were album
          familiarity sets, but this show was all about the fun.
          But the best bits were from Mike/Chris. Lots of Wide
          Angle tracks re-edited. Chris had one of those
          proximity effect controllers; was fun to watch him
          waving his hand around like a conjurer. Mike was
          ripping through stutter edits and bass drops like the
          master that he is. My highlight was a new (for me)
          take on Beachcoma, all dirty and distorted. Just for
          Today really rocked too..... generally, it was a
          reminder that Hybrid is the master of all that is
          danceable: seismically dirty, ecstatically euphoric,
          funky as f*ck - and that's just one track :-D I
          really hope that these live edits get released some
          time.

          Dave
        • James
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 10, 2007
            The show was awesome, but I wish I had brought some earplugs, as I was
            right up front. :D
            I was scared at first that there would be a really bad turnout--the
            dance floor was completely empty until one of the opening DJs finally
            started throwing on some breaks. :-)

            Peter Distefano using a violin bow on his guitar was really something!
            Oh and, the second track that Charlotte James sang was her track "A
            Little Bit of This" and was remixed by Hybrid for the tour. I hope it
            gets an official release! She said that she was afraid that it was too
            rocky sounding for the rest of what was played, but I think that it fit
            right in with the sound of John Graham's tracks.

            I saw one fellow up front with a Hybrid tshirt under his jacket... Was
            that you, renegadesoundwaves? Looking at your photos, it looks like
            they're from where that person was standing. I was the skinny black guy
            up front with the two cameras. :D

            Well, it was an honor to get to be the first stop on their US tour, and
            I hope that many who were there are on the list! Oh, by the way, here
            are the photos
            <http://www.flickr.com/photos/minceyfresh/sets/72157594579670821/> I
            took that night!

            If the link doesn't work, here's the url:
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/minceyfresh/sets/72157594579670821/

            If that doesn't work, try typing 'hybrid ruby skye' (without the
            quotation marks) in the Flickr's photo search. :-)

            James M.

            wrote:

            > The SF show started at 11:45 and completed about 1:15 so this is the
            > advantages of being the lead group - 90 minute set. From memory
            > the songs were...
          • Nordicwarcry
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 11, 2007
              Hello,

              Can someone be kind enough and who is also "in the
              know" to list the 6 cities where they are playing
              instead of boasting that "I am looking forward to
              traveling 300 miles to see them....."

              Thanks....
            • Julia
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 12, 2007
                Cant wait to see the DC version Thursday night!!!!!!!!!!

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 12, 2007
                  Hell yes!

                  I'm bringing a couple friends with me to the DC show...will be in the
                  front with my green Hybrid T-shirt rocking my face off.

                  Really hoping I can get the boys to autograph my "From the Forthcoming
                  album Wide Angle..." CD...that would be a nice little memory.

                  First time seeing Hybrid live..and hopefully not the last.

                  Are they playing 90 mins sets everywhere because they are headlining,
                  rather than being part of a festival?

                  -Chris

                  --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Julia" <RavenButterfly@...> wrote:

                  > Cant wait to see the DC version Thursday night!!!!!!!!!!
                  >
                  > --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "renegadesoundwaves" <keliher@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > The SF show started at 11:45 and completed about 1:15 so this is the
                  > > advantages of being the lead group - 90 minute set. From memory
                  > > the songs were... (not certain of the order, but I think this is
                  > it):
                  > >
                  > > Last Man Standing
                  > > I Choose Noise
                  > > If I Survive
                  > > Unknown
                  > > Kill City
                  > > Higher Than A Skyscraper (Twitch & Sweat Mix)
                  > > Choke
                  > > Dream Stalker
                  > > Until Tomorrow
                  > > Altitude
                  > > Just For Today
                  > > Symphony
                  > >
                  > > Best Guess
                  > > The female vocalist sang 'If I Survive' which was a good effort but
                  > > lack the gusto of Julee Cruise. However it was nice to hear the
                  > song
                  > > again live. The next song was sung by her with a guitar sounding
                  > like
                  > > a combo rock/house song. Quivver had an excellent stage presence
                  > > perfectly capturing the two songs Choke and Until Tomorrow with
                  > > precision. The guitarist for Porno for Pyros did some amazing
                  > > stuff on his guitar with a bow, and throughout the show showed how
                  > > talented he is with the instrument. Kill City was the highlight
                  > never
                  > > sounding better. Dream Stalker sounds 10x better live than on the
                  > > CD, matter of fact the songs on the third album really came to life
                  > > live whereas on the CD they seem to lack that spacious sweeping
                  > > soundscapes that made Wide Angel so good. Of course the songs are
                  > > remixed and are different than the album versions. A lot more
                  > > breakbeat has been injected into these songs to keep the crowd
                  > > dancing. An excellent evening well worth the time and money, highly
                  > > recommended for Hybrid fans and the curious wondering what all the
                  > > fuss is about will find out first hand. If you want to see pictures
                  > > of the show go to www.keliher.net.

                • Drew Ressler
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 12, 2007
                    You need to visit http://www.hybridsoundsystem.com/ more often :)

                    08th March '07 - Ruby Skye, San Francisco
                    10th March '07 - Avalon, Los Angeles
                    13th March '07 - Club Sound, Salt Lake City
                    14th March '07 - Gothic, Denver
                    15th March '07 - 930 Club, D.C.
                    16th March '07 - Webster Hall, NYC
                    17th March '07 - Vision, Chicago
                    18th March '07 - House of Blues, Orlando
                    24th March '07 - Ultra Music Festival, Miami

                    Thanks

                    Drew Ressler
                    http://www.rukes.com/

                  • jazzkickerr@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 12, 2007
                      THANKS so much! =)

                      In a message dated 3/12/2007 1:09:08 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                      rukes@... writes:

                      You need to visit _http://www.hybridsohttp://wwwhttp_
                      (http://www.hybridsoundsystem.com/) more often :)

                      08th March '07 - Ruby Skye, San Francisco
                      10th March '07 - Avalon, Los Angeles
                      13th March '07 - Club Sound, Salt Lake City
                      14th March '07 - Gothic, Denver
                      15th March '07 - 930 Club, D.C.
                      16th March '07 - Webster Hall, NYC
                      17th March '07 - Vision, Chicago
                      18th March '07 - House of Blues, Orlando
                      24th March '07 - Ultra Music Festival, Miami

                      Thanks

                      Drew Ressler
                      _http://www.rukes.http_ (http://www.rukes.com/)
                    • Julia
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 13, 2007
                        I hope they do all the same here in DC Thursday night.. I am dieing
                        to hear Until Tomorrow, I have been listening to it off of Quivver's
                        myspace page. I love that track alot.

                        I am really looking forward to this. I have been at every DJ set
                        Hybrid have done in DC for several years and when I got to talk with
                        them at the Buzz Halloween party I really found them to be a couple
                        awesome guys..

                        To finally hear a live set is going to be truly amazing..

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 15, 2007
                          --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "James" <minceyfresh@...> wrote:

                          > I saw one fellow up front with a Hybrid tshirt under his jacket...
                          Was
                          > that you, renegadesoundwaves? Looking at your photos, it looks like
                          > they're from where that person was standing.

                          Yep that was me the only one in the bar with a Hybrid shirt, I had
                          hope you would have come up and say hi but I guess you were staking
                          out your territory up in front.
                          >>>I was the skinny black guy> up front with the two cameras. :D
                          Hell yea I remember you because I had my camera in my top pocket of
                          my shirt hidden under my coat which went undetected upon entering the
                          club. I was wondering if it was cool to snap photos and there was
                          James checking the lighting with his meter, getting every angle with
                          his camera and the bouncer just looked the other way.

                          Cool, I thought, so when Hybrid came on, pulled out my camera and
                          started snapping. Snapped about 50 photos but only posted the best
                          for the HybridUK group. Posted it three hours after the show for the
                          group because I knew some were excited about the tour and of pictures
                          of the new female lead singer and with SF being her first
                          performance? If any of you haven't seen them you can at
                          <http://www.keliher.net> which was posted in an earlier message. I
                          wish I had taken a picture of the crowd it was packed in there and
                          that is rare for a Thursday night show that started at 11:45 and with
                          absolutely no advertising that I saw in the city paper. I think
                          credit is due to this board and word of mouth that filled the night
                          club. The boys were quite pleased with the crowd and the response
                          they were getting as Chris said, "We always love coming to San
                          Fransico" in his closing remarks before leaving stage.

                          I hope Hybrid recorded the live set off the boards for it was just an
                          awesome show that I don't think can be duplicated. The energy was
                          there both the band the crowd, the electricty was everywhere, it was
                          almost perfect. James, earplugs? I thought the volume was perfect and
                          the sounds distinct. One of the best acoustics I have ever heard.
                          Especially, Kill City and Dreamstalker which whipped the crowd into a
                          frenzy with all the breakbeat loops looping over and over and over,
                          while at least my side of the stage they were going bonkers. The only
                          complaint was that I also had a hard time hearing the vocals for If I
                          survive as though they got lost in all the programming, but I just
                          love the instrumental version of that song too. It was great to hear
                          live again. I don't want to sound redundant but since my last post I
                          did not play any music on the drive home. Just aavouring what I had
                          just witnessed.
                        • zem_the_mattress
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 19, 2007
                            > I wish I had taken a picture of the crowd it was packed in there
                            > and that is rare for a Thursday night show that started at 11:45
                            > and with absolutely no advertising that I saw in the city paper. I
                            > think credit is due to this board and word of mouth that filled the
                            > night club. The boys were quite pleased with the crowd and the
                            > response they were getting as Chris said, "We always love coming to
                            > San Fransico" in his closing remarks before leaving stage.

                            I wanted to expound on this point a bit:

                            The PR machine for Hybrid is horrible. It's amazing that grassroots promotion got the sort of response it did get for the SF (and I presume LA too) shows. But I only heard of this about 2.5 weeks prior, and that's because I was looking for it (thanks Drew). And I am pretty on top of the scene around here. I can typically expect flyers, promo e-mails from distinctive + local promoters, and Myspace bulletins. There were none of these things until around a week in advance. While I am a pretty tireless and effective Hybrid pusher, I know a couple of people who discovered them at Coachella and then heard nothing about the current tour. So, when I get the ubiquitous (for myspace world) random myspace mail asking: "Dude, what's Hybrid been up to?" the day after the LA show, it saddens me to tell him he just missed the local date.

                            In my humble - but passionately held - opinion, this is regrettable, and I would think preventable. Many lesser (but sadly more popular) talents are better advertised than our boys. Don't know if this is a Chaotica/Distinctive issue or what, but I sincerely hope it changes in the future...

                            ...off rant mode

                            Dave

                            [[[Moderator (Alan) says: Whilst this issue may have some little to do with Hybrid/Distinct'ive in that they should certainly promote their dates to their fan-base this is surely more of an issue with the promoter (I use the term loosely).]]]
                          • Ryan Stevenson
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 22, 2007
                              distinctive also does not provide much in the way of tour or promo funds,
                              which is why they have limited dates in the US (after the Aussie shows)...
                              at least thats the impression i got after speaking with the boys

                              ryan