RE: [Hybrid] Re: Albums and Tracks of the Year

  • James Warren
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 15, 2006
      I forgot to include Lostep's album. Very remiss of me. I absolutely loved
      it.

      _____

      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 15, 2006
        yes. he even got a golden globe nomination. wonder if he ever thought
        about anything like this while in PWEI.

        On 12/15/06, jtstarkiller <jtsimler3@...> wrote:
        > With all the excitement of listing my favorite albums of the year, I left off what might be my
        > favorite album of the year (in battle with ICN), Clint Mansell's score to The Fountain.
        >
        > If you guys haven't heard it, definitely check out it. It's amazing.
        >
        > jts
      • zem_the_mattress
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 15, 2006
          Was wondering when someone was going to get round to this - should have figured it would be you James ;-P

          Releases
          1) Because We Can - Lostep. Might I also put them as new best artists, sort of...
          2) Ghetto Blaster - Cyantific
          3) Sequential - Hernan Cattaneo (more disc 1 though)
          4) Black Holes + Revelations - Muse
          5) Stepping Stones - Dj Krush
          6) Engineers - Engineers (awesome downtempo - my big discovery this year)
          7) Wolfmother - Wolfmother
          8) Broken - James Warren
          9) Feels Closer - Layo & Bushwacka
          10) 10, 000 days - Tool

          Tracks
          1) Wonka - WOW
          2) Burma/Villian - Lostep
          3) Sukdat - Soul of Man
          4) Map of the Problematique - Muse
          5) Skeleton Key - Margot and the Nuclear So + Sos

          Live
          1) Hybrid @ Coachella
          2) Muse @ the Concourse
          3) Mike @ Avalon - the marathon set, such great taste
          4) Sasha + Zabiela @ Avalon
          5) Imogen Heap @ the Warfield
          6) DJ Marky - THE F-ing MAN! Truly Drum & Bass embodied. Perfect mixes, crazy energy, turntable nuttiness

          Just picked up the Margot album - bit too lyric driven for my taste, but think it will grow on me....
        • Diana Crumbie
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 16, 2006
            Its been a really good year for music this year. My absolute
            favourites of the year are:

            I choose Noise
            Trentemoller - The last resort
            Helios - Eingya
            Squarepusher - Hello everything
            Breakage - This too shall pass
            Thom Yorke - The eraser
            Dousk - DIY
            Zero 7 - The garden

            :)

            --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "andyrober" <andyrober@...> wrote:

            > Apart from ICN and Hybrid tracks, Shiloh - Bleed and UNKLE - Self
            > Defence box set for me.
            >
            > Andy

          • hybrid_junkie
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 19, 2006
              Would have to agree with everyone, it has been a particularly good
              year for music.

              Best album of the year for me was obviously 'I Choose Noise' but a
              close second was an album by a band called Union of Knives
              called 'Violence and Birdsong' which is superb - good beats, good
              vocals, some Peter Hook style bass and even some strings chucked in
              for good measure!

              And the highlight of the year was catching Hybrid live at the
              Warehouse Project - best performance i've seen by Hybrid and a quality
              venue.
            • renegadesoundwaves
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 22, 2007
                My favs for the year are (no particular order)
                01. General Midi Never gonna stop the show (WOW Mix)track
                02. Dylan Rhymes - Superstar (elite force mix)track
                03. Pankaj - Together track
                04. Roger Sanchez - Lost EP ( love the singers voice)
                05. The Love Rats - Your Women EP (great lyrics)
                06. Atomic Hooligan - The Remixes EP (blim remix is just an awesome
                track)
                07. Lexi - Come on EP (DOwnright dirty and Lexi has a voice that can
                pull it off)
                08. Santos - Home sweet Home LP (This was his year_
                09. Soul Revenger-CLose your mind 2nd track, Samples Chocalate Icecream
                10. Dopamine - Outside the box EP. Pwowerful
                11. The Flash Brothers House of FLash LP (an excellent house album,
                the first 25 minutes are classic)
                12. 2 Bit Pie LP(The boys from fluke still know how to write and play)
                13. Otur - Pepperbox Hill LP (More electronic than house through my
                veins is the stand-out track)
                14. X-Press 2 Makeshift Feelgood LP (1st song sounds like a kenny
                roger song. Makes for an interesting and entertaining album.
                15. Beckers - Switch Mixes EP (In your face progressive)
                16. Charlotte Church - Call my Name (Steve Mac classic mix piano
                track)(If you like piano this is your song of the year)
                17. Jinx - the tonk ep (in your face)
                18, Miami Ice - Better than perfect ep (just a beautiful song based
                on Miami VIce but better the vocals are hypnotic)
                19. Misfilter vs INfluenza - Want it all ep (In your face don't come
                any better than this)
                20. Def Inc 50K ep (Surprise not to see this one on anyones list.
                Sounds like Hybrid in one of their progressive moods)
                21. SI Begg - Noodles ep (Si begg keeps coming out with strange but
                very good music that breaks new gound.
                22. Phil Barry - Make a Move ep 2nd track Cause and Effect (skip the
                first track go to Cause and Effect play loud enjoy)
                23. Peace Division - CLub Therapy track Ep (the lyrics are so true)
                24. Peace Division - Blacklight Sleeze track ep ( I read somewhere
                that a 45 year old women (a poet) did the lyrics. Very sad but true.
                25. Rasmus Faber feat Melo - Get over miami redits. ep (great regtime
                piano)
                26. Benny Benassi - Whos your Daddy ep video edit track (the video is
                good along with the song pure sex)
                27. Madonna - I Love NY (Thin White Duke Mix)track. JLC has a talent
                for mixing and turns a mundane song into a viberant danceable hard
                sounding song.
                28. Overklash - Take your hands off me track. Great Lyrics just like
                the title
                29. Slacker - Let me stay 3rd track on ep. Mindbending bass, a
                classic groove makes this one a dancefloor burner.
                30. Hybrid - Sleepwalking - snother Hybrid classic.

                Sorry neither Hybrid or BT LPs made the list, these above selections
                have a lot more heart in their songs, something lacking in the Hybrid
                and BT LPs which both seem to drone on forever.(my opinion) Nothing
                new that I have not heard before, just wish these two would play more
                progressive music instead of this laid-back crap. I found a studio
                version of sleepwalking (Track 15) which is the best song by Hybrid
                since From a Distance. Sleepwalking should have been on the album
                along with other in your face progressive tunes. But all the above 30
                are progressive, have a lot of soul and the mixing and sound
                production is excellent. There is so much good music out there. 2006
                was a bumper crop this year.
              • Peter Chapman
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 25, 2007
                  You can get the remixes (inc Blim remix of Dreaming) from
                  http://www.4gmusic.net which is linked to by the boys site. £4.49 + £2
                  postage is pretty good value. I'm having credit card issues on the site at
                  the moment but will try again later.
                • rednairb
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 28, 2007
                    Probably my favourite album of last year was helios' eingya. Glad
                    someone else heard it.