Albums and Tracks of the Year

  • James Warren
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 12, 2006
      I guess it's that time of year again; time to tell everyone what's been
      floating your boat.

      No choosing ICN or anything from it as we'll take that for granted.

      I'll start the ball rolling (predictably) with.

      Shiloh - Bleed

      BT - TBU

      Underworld - Live in Tokyo

      Future Funk Squad - Audio Damage

      Thom Yorke - The Eraser

      Depeche Mode remasters

      James Holden - At The Controls

      John Digweed - Transitions

      Nine Horses - Snow Borne Sorrow (released in 2005 but still being released
      in various guises)

      As for tracks, anything I've used in various sets but I really loved

      Andy Page/Danny Bonnici - Vermouth

      Derek Howell - Strung Up (CPM Remix)

      Underworld - JAL to Tokyo

      Shiloh - Reaction (David West Remix)

      Shiloh vs LP - All Those Things

      Jody Wisternoff - Cold Drink, Hot Girl (That Other Mix)

      Sissy - So Long (Andrew Kelly Vocal Mix)

      Looking forward to Roger Waters doing Dark Side of the Moon in London next
      year!
    • RICHARD LUND
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 12, 2006
        Well of course

        Hybrid - ICN

        BT - This Binary Universe

        Rehab - Grafitti The World

        Hyper - We Control (love this track!!!)

        Tre Hardson - Slim Kid TRe's Cafe

        James Warren - RAAPB (Hybrid) (havent taken this out of my player since it
        came out ... make you feel good James doesnt it ?? )

        and various other odds and ends ..

        these stuck out in my head though

        RICK
      • Nordicwarcry
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 13, 2006
          My top selections of artists for 2006 who released albums this past year (in no particular order)

          Dark Globe

          Freestylers

          Craggz & Parallel Forces

          Rogue Element

          Fun*da*mental

          Sinthethix

          Fierce
        • andyrober
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 13, 2006
            Apart from ICN and Hybrid tracks, Shiloh - Bleed and UNKLE - Self
            Defence box set for me.

            Andy
          • Matt A.
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 13, 2006
              Let me start off by saying that 2006, for me personally, has been the best year for music in as long as I can remember. Almost ALL of my favorite artists released some kind of CD this year, and I had quite a few new discoveries. Now then, in (almost) no particular order...

              BT - This Binary Universe
              South - Adventures In The Underground Journey To The Stars
              Massive Attack - Collected (I know, it's a best of, but the CD/DVD version is fantastic, and the track selection is pretty outstanding)
              The Flaming Lips - At War With The Mystics
              Grandaddy - Just Like The Fambly Cat (I'm still sad they've broken up...)
              Prince - 3121
              Pet Shop Boys - Fundamental

              My top 3 are DEFINITELY in this order:
              3. The Album Leaf - Into The Blue Again ("Red-Eye" also has my vote for best song of the year)
              2. Hybrid - I Choose Noise
              1. Margot & the Nuclear So and So's - The Dust of Retreat

              That Margot CD... I don't think their CD is out in the UK, but they are the best indie pop-rock band I have EVER heard. I saw them open for South in concert and they just blew me away. I've listened to the CD almost every single day since I bought it in April.

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 14, 2006
                BT - TBU has been my fav I think ... also my dad's fav lol
                Dousk - DIY was another big highlight for me, its a beautiful album.
                And of course ICN

                There's loads others that I can't remember right now...I agree that its been
                a fantastic year for new music!

              • rajiv raja
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 14, 2006
                  These are a few tracks that are right on top of my playlist, which has been piling up over this year -

                  annual fav releases:
                  I choose noise - Just for today(a true sequel after finished symphony and higher than skyscraper), I choose noise, Until Tomorrow, Dogstar;
                  Lostep - Villain;
                  Djuma Soundsystem - Les Djinns (Trentemoller mix);
                  Orbital - Chime (Hybrid mix);
                  Trent Cantrelle & Freddy B - You Don't Have To Cry (Quivver Remix);
                  The Knife - We Share Our Mother's Health (Trentmoller Remix)

                  annual fav discoveries:
                  (I give this year "the ultimate discovery of hybrid's deeds ...I was a bit late though ;)"):
                  All I Want - [ wanted this forever, got it this year :) ];
                  August - Tongue tied (In the congo);
                  Orb - From a distance - (Hybrid Meadow ladies mix);

                  Thom Yorke - The Eraser (Epilogue in 6mix by Hybrid...real good mash up into Lostep's Burma);
                  Kevin Aviance - Din Da Da (Hybrid Mix);
                  Ayumi Hamasaki - Prologue (ahhh have been wanting this from 3 years now);
                  Meat Katie & Christian J - Turn Me Out (Dylan Rhymes mix)

                  - iggy
                • jtstarkiller
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 14, 2006
                    My personal favorites of 2006, in alphabetical order...

                    2Bit Pie - 2 Pie Island
                    Above & Beyond - Tri-State
                    BT - This Binary Universe
                    Mychael Danna & Devotchka - Little Miss Sunshine
                    David Julyan - The Prestige
                    Hybrid - I Choose Noise
                    Hyper - We Control
                    Leama & Moor - Common Ground
                    Lostep - Because We Can
                    John Mayer - Continuum
                    NuBreed - Y4K
                    John Ottman - Superman Returns
                    Shiloh - Bleed
                    various - Miami Vice
                    Thom Yorke - The Eraser

                    other
                    R.E.M. - And I Feel Fine compilation (IRS Years)
                  • jtstarkiller
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 14, 2006
                      With all the excitement of listing my favorite albums of the year, I left off what might be my
                      favorite album of the year (in battle with ICN), Clint Mansell's score to The Fountain.

                      If you guys haven't heard it, definitely check out it. It's amazing.

                      jts
                    • James Warren
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 15, 2006
                        I forgot to include Lostep's album. Very remiss of me. I absolutely loved
                        it.

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 15, 2006
                          yes. he even got a golden globe nomination. wonder if he ever thought
                          about anything like this while in PWEI.

                          On 12/15/06, jtstarkiller <jtsimler3@...> wrote:
                          > With all the excitement of listing my favorite albums of the year, I left off what might be my
                          > favorite album of the year (in battle with ICN), Clint Mansell's score to The Fountain.
                          >
                          > If you guys haven't heard it, definitely check out it. It's amazing.
                          >
                          > jts
                        • zem_the_mattress
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 15, 2006
                            Was wondering when someone was going to get round to this - should have figured it would be you James ;-P

                            Releases
                            1) Because We Can - Lostep. Might I also put them as new best artists, sort of...
                            2) Ghetto Blaster - Cyantific
                            3) Sequential - Hernan Cattaneo (more disc 1 though)
                            4) Black Holes + Revelations - Muse
                            5) Stepping Stones - Dj Krush
                            6) Engineers - Engineers (awesome downtempo - my big discovery this year)
                            7) Wolfmother - Wolfmother
                            8) Broken - James Warren
                            9) Feels Closer - Layo & Bushwacka
                            10) 10, 000 days - Tool

                            Tracks
                            1) Wonka - WOW
                            2) Burma/Villian - Lostep
                            3) Sukdat - Soul of Man
                            4) Map of the Problematique - Muse
                            5) Skeleton Key - Margot and the Nuclear So + Sos

                            Live
                            1) Hybrid @ Coachella
                            2) Muse @ the Concourse
                            3) Mike @ Avalon - the marathon set, such great taste
                            4) Sasha + Zabiela @ Avalon
                            5) Imogen Heap @ the Warfield
                            6) DJ Marky - THE F-ing MAN! Truly Drum & Bass embodied. Perfect mixes, crazy energy, turntable nuttiness

                            Just picked up the Margot album - bit too lyric driven for my taste, but think it will grow on me....
                          • Diana Crumbie
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 16, 2006
                              Its been a really good year for music this year. My absolute
                              favourites of the year are:

                              I choose Noise
                              Trentemoller - The last resort
                              Helios - Eingya
                              Squarepusher - Hello everything
                              Breakage - This too shall pass
                              Thom Yorke - The eraser
                              Dousk - DIY
                              Zero 7 - The garden

                              :)

                              --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "andyrober" <andyrober@...> wrote:

                              > Apart from ICN and Hybrid tracks, Shiloh - Bleed and UNKLE - Self
                              > Defence box set for me.
                              >
                              > Andy

                            • hybrid_junkie
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 19, 2006
                                Would have to agree with everyone, it has been a particularly good
                                year for music.

                                Best album of the year for me was obviously 'I Choose Noise' but a
                                close second was an album by a band called Union of Knives
                                called 'Violence and Birdsong' which is superb - good beats, good
                                vocals, some Peter Hook style bass and even some strings chucked in
                                for good measure!

                                And the highlight of the year was catching Hybrid live at the
                                Warehouse Project - best performance i've seen by Hybrid and a quality
                                venue.
                              • renegadesoundwaves
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 22, 2007
                                  My favs for the year are (no particular order)
                                  01. General Midi Never gonna stop the show (WOW Mix)track
                                  02. Dylan Rhymes - Superstar (elite force mix)track
                                  03. Pankaj - Together track
                                  04. Roger Sanchez - Lost EP ( love the singers voice)
                                  05. The Love Rats - Your Women EP (great lyrics)
                                  06. Atomic Hooligan - The Remixes EP (blim remix is just an awesome
                                  track)
                                  07. Lexi - Come on EP (DOwnright dirty and Lexi has a voice that can
                                  pull it off)
                                  08. Santos - Home sweet Home LP (This was his year_
                                  09. Soul Revenger-CLose your mind 2nd track, Samples Chocalate Icecream
                                  10. Dopamine - Outside the box EP. Pwowerful
                                  11. The Flash Brothers House of FLash LP (an excellent house album,
                                  the first 25 minutes are classic)
                                  12. 2 Bit Pie LP(The boys from fluke still know how to write and play)
                                  13. Otur - Pepperbox Hill LP (More electronic than house through my
                                  veins is the stand-out track)
                                  14. X-Press 2 Makeshift Feelgood LP (1st song sounds like a kenny
                                  roger song. Makes for an interesting and entertaining album.
                                  15. Beckers - Switch Mixes EP (In your face progressive)
                                  16. Charlotte Church - Call my Name (Steve Mac classic mix piano
                                  track)(If you like piano this is your song of the year)
                                  17. Jinx - the tonk ep (in your face)
                                  18, Miami Ice - Better than perfect ep (just a beautiful song based
                                  on Miami VIce but better the vocals are hypnotic)
                                  19. Misfilter vs INfluenza - Want it all ep (In your face don't come
                                  any better than this)
                                  20. Def Inc 50K ep (Surprise not to see this one on anyones list.
                                  Sounds like Hybrid in one of their progressive moods)
                                  21. SI Begg - Noodles ep (Si begg keeps coming out with strange but
                                  very good music that breaks new gound.
                                  22. Phil Barry - Make a Move ep 2nd track Cause and Effect (skip the
                                  first track go to Cause and Effect play loud enjoy)
                                  23. Peace Division - CLub Therapy track Ep (the lyrics are so true)
                                  24. Peace Division - Blacklight Sleeze track ep ( I read somewhere
                                  that a 45 year old women (a poet) did the lyrics. Very sad but true.
                                  25. Rasmus Faber feat Melo - Get over miami redits. ep (great regtime
                                  piano)
                                  26. Benny Benassi - Whos your Daddy ep video edit track (the video is
                                  good along with the song pure sex)
                                  27. Madonna - I Love NY (Thin White Duke Mix)track. JLC has a talent
                                  for mixing and turns a mundane song into a viberant danceable hard
                                  sounding song.
                                  28. Overklash - Take your hands off me track. Great Lyrics just like
                                  the title
                                  29. Slacker - Let me stay 3rd track on ep. Mindbending bass, a
                                  classic groove makes this one a dancefloor burner.
                                  30. Hybrid - Sleepwalking - snother Hybrid classic.

                                  Sorry neither Hybrid or BT LPs made the list, these above selections
                                  have a lot more heart in their songs, something lacking in the Hybrid
                                  and BT LPs which both seem to drone on forever.(my opinion) Nothing
                                  new that I have not heard before, just wish these two would play more
                                  progressive music instead of this laid-back crap. I found a studio
                                  version of sleepwalking (Track 15) which is the best song by Hybrid
                                  since From a Distance. Sleepwalking should have been on the album
                                  along with other in your face progressive tunes. But all the above 30
                                  are progressive, have a lot of soul and the mixing and sound
                                  production is excellent. There is so much good music out there. 2006
                                  was a bumper crop this year.
                                • Peter Chapman
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 25, 2007
                                    You can get the remixes (inc Blim remix of Dreaming) from
                                    http://www.4gmusic.net which is linked to by the boys site. £4.49 + £2
                                    postage is pretty good value. I'm having credit card issues on the site at
                                    the moment but will try again later.
                                  • rednairb
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jan 28, 2007
                                      Probably my favourite album of last year was helios' eingya. Glad
                                      someone else heard it.