Re: Hybrid, Brighton gig

  • Adam Shelley
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 10, 2006
      "they did play one track from the new album, "i choose
      noise" no less"

      They did'nt play "i choose noice" they did play "last
      man standing" tho.

      To be honest, i enjoyed the night, but they hardly
      played any breaks, infact they were so "four to the
      floor" sometimes it sounded very dated. My girlfriend
      said it sounded like techno! Although she has'nt got a
      clue, I can see what she means. Hybrid are in my eyes
      "breaks" dj's that play abit of "house" but that night
      they were "house" dj's that played abit of "breaks".
      It seems to be the big venues and festivals when they
      are like this, when I have see them in tiny (200-300
      capacity) venues they play a more breaksy set. I much
      prefer these.

      P.S I only realised that the dj before them was Jamie
      Grifiths, the scratching DJ from live Angle. Got a
      picture with them all, only person missing was Lee
      Mullins. Ha ha!
    • derek392002
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 13, 2006
        --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "derek392002" <derek392002@...> wrote:

        > What was the purpose of this appearance?
        > The DJ set was tight and skilful but they were just playing other
        > people's records! Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a new album
        > out? Was this meant to be a form of promotion for it?
        > I went to the Zap Club hoping to see them play live. When that didn't
        > pan out, I then hoped to hear some of the new album - neither of these
        > things took place!
        > Why travel all the way down to Brighton to:
        > 1. not play live?
        > 2. not play any new tracks?
        > It all seemed a bit pointless and I did feel quite disappointed.
        > I don't know if band members ever read this forum, but if so: please
        > come back to Brighton and play a proper gig, like your fantastic
        > previous appearance at Concorde 2!
        > Thanks
        > Derek

        Thanks to everyone who replied to my (rather grumpy) message.
        I felt disappointed as at no time, either on the posters around town
        or on the tickets, did it say anything about a DJ set only. It's only
        two words! It could be in small writing or in brackets!
        Also, I hadn't subscribed to this group prior to the date - my mistake
        I know, as I would have found out about the appearance before buying
        the tickets (or not, I hate clubs as I find the music lazy,
        repetitive, monotonous and soporific).
        They were just so good at Concorde 2, but of course putting on live
        gigs is always more expensive and complex than just turning up with a
        box full of records.
        Best Wishes to you all
        Derek