Re: Hybrid, Brighton gig

  • Nick Bower
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 10, 2006
      Hmmm... it's always worth checking here to see whether it's a DJ set
      or live gig beforehand - it saves dissapointment (not that I've ever
      been dissapointed with either to tell you the truth). lol

      'DJ set'
      'Live'

      Two very different things.

      :)

      Nick

      --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "derek392002" <derek392002@...> wrote:

      > What was the purpose of this appearance?
      > The DJ set was tight and skilful but they were just playing other
      > people's records! Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a new album
      > out? Was this meant to be a form of promotion for it?
      > I went to the Zap Club hoping to see them play live. When that didn't
      > pan out, I then hoped to hear some of the new album - neither of these
      > things took place!
      > Why travel all the way down to Brighton to:
      > 1. not play live?
      > 2. not play any new tracks?
      > It all seemed a bit pointless and I did feel quite disappointed.
      > I don't know if band members ever read this forum, but if so: please
      > come back to Brighton and play a proper gig, like your fantastic
      > previous appearance at Concorde 2!
      > Thanks
      > Derek

    • James Warren
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 10, 2006
        I think you have to bear in mind that live gigs are pretty expensive and
        tend to be a bit more few and far between when compared to 'pop' and rock
        music. Obviously, you need to get financial support and sponsorship for
        touring and it's not always that easy to come by. Dj'ing is bread and butter
        for most people in Hybrid's boat (i.e. quality producers) and I guess it
        wouldn't be too hard to incorporate some Ableton trickery into their sets. I
        know they've been looking at this using the Xone 3D - just a question of how
        they see their work differentiated I suppose, i.e. does using a laptop and a
        couple of decks constitute a live act to them, or is live more of a band
        thing with drummer, bassist and vocalist? I suspect the latter and this was
        certainly true during the Morning Sci-fi period. Still, lots of room for
        crossover these days.

        Just some thoughts.

        James
      • Adam Shelley
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 10, 2006
          "they did play one track from the new album, "i choose
          noise" no less"

          They did'nt play "i choose noice" they did play "last
          man standing" tho.

          To be honest, i enjoyed the night, but they hardly
          played any breaks, infact they were so "four to the
          floor" sometimes it sounded very dated. My girlfriend
          said it sounded like techno! Although she has'nt got a
          clue, I can see what she means. Hybrid are in my eyes
          "breaks" dj's that play abit of "house" but that night
          they were "house" dj's that played abit of "breaks".
          It seems to be the big venues and festivals when they
          are like this, when I have see them in tiny (200-300
          capacity) venues they play a more breaksy set. I much
          prefer these.

          P.S I only realised that the dj before them was Jamie
          Grifiths, the scratching DJ from live Angle. Got a
          picture with them all, only person missing was Lee
          Mullins. Ha ha!
        • derek392002
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 13, 2006
            --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "derek392002" <derek392002@...> wrote:

            > What was the purpose of this appearance?
            > The DJ set was tight and skilful but they were just playing other
            > people's records! Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a new album
            > out? Was this meant to be a form of promotion for it?
            > I went to the Zap Club hoping to see them play live. When that didn't
            > pan out, I then hoped to hear some of the new album - neither of these
            > things took place!
            > Why travel all the way down to Brighton to:
            > 1. not play live?
            > 2. not play any new tracks?
            > It all seemed a bit pointless and I did feel quite disappointed.
            > I don't know if band members ever read this forum, but if so: please
            > come back to Brighton and play a proper gig, like your fantastic
            > previous appearance at Concorde 2!
            > Thanks
            > Derek

            Thanks to everyone who replied to my (rather grumpy) message.
            I felt disappointed as at no time, either on the posters around town
            or on the tickets, did it say anything about a DJ set only. It's only
            two words! It could be in small writing or in brackets!
            Also, I hadn't subscribed to this group prior to the date - my mistake
            I know, as I would have found out about the appearance before buying
            the tickets (or not, I hate clubs as I find the music lazy,
            repetitive, monotonous and soporific).
            They were just so good at Concorde 2, but of course putting on live
            gigs is always more expensive and complex than just turning up with a
            box full of records.
            Best Wishes to you all
            Derek