Re: Hybrid, Brighton gig

  • ally @ hybrid-group.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 9, 2006
      Hybrid DJ around the world...they only play live occasionally.

      You can see which dates are DJ and which are live at:

      http://www.hybrid-group.com/livedjdates.asp

      Ally

      --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "derek392002" <derek392002@...>
      wrote:

      > What was the purpose of this appearance?
      > The DJ set was tight and skilful but they were just playing other
      > people's records! Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a new
      album
      > out? Was this meant to be a form of promotion for it?
      > I went to the Zap Club hoping to see them play live. When that
      didn't
      > pan out, I then hoped to hear some of the new album - neither of
      these
      > things took place!
      > Why travel all the way down to Brighton to:
      > 1. not play live?
      > 2. not play any new tracks?
      > It all seemed a bit pointless and I did feel quite disappointed.
      > I don't know if band members ever read this forum, but if so:
      please
      > come back to Brighton and play a proper gig, like your fantastic
      > previous appearance at Concorde 2!
      > Thanks
      > Derek

    • tom robinson

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 10, 2006
          Hmmm... it's always worth checking here to see whether it's a DJ set
          or live gig beforehand - it saves dissapointment (not that I've ever
          been dissapointed with either to tell you the truth). lol

          'DJ set'
          'Live'

          Two very different things.

          :)

          Nick

          --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "derek392002" <derek392002@...> wrote:

          > What was the purpose of this appearance?
          > The DJ set was tight and skilful but they were just playing other
          > people's records! Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a new album
          > out? Was this meant to be a form of promotion for it?
          > I went to the Zap Club hoping to see them play live. When that didn't
          > pan out, I then hoped to hear some of the new album - neither of these
          > things took place!
          > Why travel all the way down to Brighton to:
          > 1. not play live?
          > 2. not play any new tracks?
          > It all seemed a bit pointless and I did feel quite disappointed.
          > I don't know if band members ever read this forum, but if so: please
          > come back to Brighton and play a proper gig, like your fantastic
          > previous appearance at Concorde 2!
          > Thanks
          > Derek

        • James Warren
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 10, 2006
            I think you have to bear in mind that live gigs are pretty expensive and
            tend to be a bit more few and far between when compared to 'pop' and rock
            music. Obviously, you need to get financial support and sponsorship for
            touring and it's not always that easy to come by. Dj'ing is bread and butter
            for most people in Hybrid's boat (i.e. quality producers) and I guess it
            wouldn't be too hard to incorporate some Ableton trickery into their sets. I
            know they've been looking at this using the Xone 3D - just a question of how
            they see their work differentiated I suppose, i.e. does using a laptop and a
            couple of decks constitute a live act to them, or is live more of a band
            thing with drummer, bassist and vocalist? I suspect the latter and this was
            certainly true during the Morning Sci-fi period. Still, lots of room for
            crossover these days.

            Just some thoughts.

            James
          • Adam Shelley
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 10, 2006
              "they did play one track from the new album, "i choose
              noise" no less"

              They did'nt play "i choose noice" they did play "last
              man standing" tho.

              To be honest, i enjoyed the night, but they hardly
              played any breaks, infact they were so "four to the
              floor" sometimes it sounded very dated. My girlfriend
              said it sounded like techno! Although she has'nt got a
              clue, I can see what she means. Hybrid are in my eyes
              "breaks" dj's that play abit of "house" but that night
              they were "house" dj's that played abit of "breaks".
              It seems to be the big venues and festivals when they
              are like this, when I have see them in tiny (200-300
              capacity) venues they play a more breaksy set. I much
              prefer these.

              P.S I only realised that the dj before them was Jamie
              Grifiths, the scratching DJ from live Angle. Got a
              picture with them all, only person missing was Lee
              Mullins. Ha ha!
            • derek392002
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 13, 2006
                --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "derek392002" <derek392002@...> wrote:

                > What was the purpose of this appearance?
                > The DJ set was tight and skilful but they were just playing other
                > people's records! Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a new album
                > out? Was this meant to be a form of promotion for it?
                > I went to the Zap Club hoping to see them play live. When that didn't
                > pan out, I then hoped to hear some of the new album - neither of these
                > things took place!
                > Why travel all the way down to Brighton to:
                > 1. not play live?
                > 2. not play any new tracks?
                > It all seemed a bit pointless and I did feel quite disappointed.
                > I don't know if band members ever read this forum, but if so: please
                > come back to Brighton and play a proper gig, like your fantastic
                > previous appearance at Concorde 2!
                > Thanks
                > Derek

                Thanks to everyone who replied to my (rather grumpy) message.
                I felt disappointed as at no time, either on the posters around town
                or on the tickets, did it say anything about a DJ set only. It's only
                two words! It could be in small writing or in brackets!
                Also, I hadn't subscribed to this group prior to the date - my mistake
                I know, as I would have found out about the appearance before buying
                the tickets (or not, I hate clubs as I find the music lazy,
                repetitive, monotonous and soporific).
                They were just so good at Concorde 2, but of course putting on live
                gigs is always more expensive and complex than just turning up with a
                box full of records.
                Best Wishes to you all
                Derek