Re: [Hybrid] Hybrid, Brighton gig

  • Thomas Touzimsky
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 9, 2006
      > Why travel all the way down to Brighton to:
      > 1. not play live?
      > 2. not play any new tracks?

      That's why it is called a 'DJ Set' rather than a 'Live Set'... ;-)

      ..::// Thomas
    • ally @ hybrid-group.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 9, 2006
        Hybrid DJ around the world...they only play live occasionally.

        You can see which dates are DJ and which are live at:

        http://www.hybrid-group.com/livedjdates.asp

        Ally

        --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "derek392002" <derek392002@...>
        wrote:

        > What was the purpose of this appearance?
        > The DJ set was tight and skilful but they were just playing other
        > people's records! Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a new
        album
        > out? Was this meant to be a form of promotion for it?
        > I went to the Zap Club hoping to see them play live. When that
        didn't
        > pan out, I then hoped to hear some of the new album - neither of
        these
        > things took place!
        > Why travel all the way down to Brighton to:
        > 1. not play live?
        > 2. not play any new tracks?
        > It all seemed a bit pointless and I did feel quite disappointed.
        > I don't know if band members ever read this forum, but if so:
        please
        > come back to Brighton and play a proper gig, like your fantastic
        > previous appearance at Concorde 2!
        > Thanks
        > Derek

      • tom robinson

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 10, 2006
            Hmmm... it's always worth checking here to see whether it's a DJ set
            or live gig beforehand - it saves dissapointment (not that I've ever
            been dissapointed with either to tell you the truth). lol

            'DJ set'
            'Live'

            Two very different things.

            :)

            Nick

            --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "derek392002" <derek392002@...> wrote:

            > What was the purpose of this appearance?
            > The DJ set was tight and skilful but they were just playing other
            > people's records! Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a new album
            > out? Was this meant to be a form of promotion for it?
            > I went to the Zap Club hoping to see them play live. When that didn't
            > pan out, I then hoped to hear some of the new album - neither of these
            > things took place!
            > Why travel all the way down to Brighton to:
            > 1. not play live?
            > 2. not play any new tracks?
            > It all seemed a bit pointless and I did feel quite disappointed.
            > I don't know if band members ever read this forum, but if so: please
            > come back to Brighton and play a proper gig, like your fantastic
            > previous appearance at Concorde 2!
            > Thanks
            > Derek

          • James Warren
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 10, 2006
              I think you have to bear in mind that live gigs are pretty expensive and
              tend to be a bit more few and far between when compared to 'pop' and rock
              music. Obviously, you need to get financial support and sponsorship for
              touring and it's not always that easy to come by. Dj'ing is bread and butter
              for most people in Hybrid's boat (i.e. quality producers) and I guess it
              wouldn't be too hard to incorporate some Ableton trickery into their sets. I
              know they've been looking at this using the Xone 3D - just a question of how
              they see their work differentiated I suppose, i.e. does using a laptop and a
              couple of decks constitute a live act to them, or is live more of a band
              thing with drummer, bassist and vocalist? I suspect the latter and this was
              certainly true during the Morning Sci-fi period. Still, lots of room for
              crossover these days.

              Just some thoughts.

              James
            • Adam Shelley
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 10, 2006
                "they did play one track from the new album, "i choose
                noise" no less"

                They did'nt play "i choose noice" they did play "last
                man standing" tho.

                To be honest, i enjoyed the night, but they hardly
                played any breaks, infact they were so "four to the
                floor" sometimes it sounded very dated. My girlfriend
                said it sounded like techno! Although she has'nt got a
                clue, I can see what she means. Hybrid are in my eyes
                "breaks" dj's that play abit of "house" but that night
                they were "house" dj's that played abit of "breaks".
                It seems to be the big venues and festivals when they
                are like this, when I have see them in tiny (200-300
                capacity) venues they play a more breaksy set. I much
                prefer these.

                P.S I only realised that the dj before them was Jamie
                Grifiths, the scratching DJ from live Angle. Got a
                picture with them all, only person missing was Lee
                Mullins. Ha ha!
              • derek392002
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 13, 2006
                  --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "derek392002" <derek392002@...> wrote:

                  > What was the purpose of this appearance?
                  > The DJ set was tight and skilful but they were just playing other
                  > people's records! Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a new album
                  > out? Was this meant to be a form of promotion for it?
                  > I went to the Zap Club hoping to see them play live. When that didn't
                  > pan out, I then hoped to hear some of the new album - neither of these
                  > things took place!
                  > Why travel all the way down to Brighton to:
                  > 1. not play live?
                  > 2. not play any new tracks?
                  > It all seemed a bit pointless and I did feel quite disappointed.
                  > I don't know if band members ever read this forum, but if so: please
                  > come back to Brighton and play a proper gig, like your fantastic
                  > previous appearance at Concorde 2!
                  > Thanks
                  > Derek

                  Thanks to everyone who replied to my (rather grumpy) message.
                  I felt disappointed as at no time, either on the posters around town
                  or on the tickets, did it say anything about a DJ set only. It's only
                  two words! It could be in small writing or in brackets!
                  Also, I hadn't subscribed to this group prior to the date - my mistake
                  I know, as I would have found out about the appearance before buying
                  the tickets (or not, I hate clubs as I find the music lazy,
                  repetitive, monotonous and soporific).
                  They were just so good at Concorde 2, but of course putting on live
                  gigs is always more expensive and complex than just turning up with a
                  box full of records.
                  Best Wishes to you all
                  Derek