Hybrid, Brighton gig

  • derek392002
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 7, 2006
      What was the purpose of this appearance?
      The DJ set was tight and skilful but they were just playing other
      people's records! Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a new album
      out? Was this meant to be a form of promotion for it?
      I went to the Zap Club hoping to see them play live. When that didn't
      pan out, I then hoped to hear some of the new album - neither of these
      things took place!
      Why travel all the way down to Brighton to:
      1. not play live?
      2. not play any new tracks?
      It all seemed a bit pointless and I did feel quite disappointed.
      I don't know if band members ever read this forum, but if so: please
      come back to Brighton and play a proper gig, like your fantastic
      previous appearance at Concorde 2!
      Thanks
      Derek
    • Thomas Touzimsky
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 9, 2006
        > Why travel all the way down to Brighton to:
        > 1. not play live?
        > 2. not play any new tracks?

        That's why it is called a 'DJ Set' rather than a 'Live Set'... ;-)

        ..::// Thomas
      • ally @ hybrid-group.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 9, 2006
          Hybrid DJ around the world...they only play live occasionally.

          You can see which dates are DJ and which are live at:

          http://www.hybrid-group.com/livedjdates.asp

          Ally

          --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "derek392002" <derek392002@...>
          wrote:

          > What was the purpose of this appearance?
          > The DJ set was tight and skilful but they were just playing other
          > people's records! Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a new
          album
          > out? Was this meant to be a form of promotion for it?
          > I went to the Zap Club hoping to see them play live. When that
          didn't
          > pan out, I then hoped to hear some of the new album - neither of
          these
          > things took place!
          > Why travel all the way down to Brighton to:
          > 1. not play live?
          > 2. not play any new tracks?
          > It all seemed a bit pointless and I did feel quite disappointed.
          > I don't know if band members ever read this forum, but if so:
          please
          > come back to Brighton and play a proper gig, like your fantastic
          > previous appearance at Concorde 2!
          > Thanks
          > Derek

        • tom robinson
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 9, 2006
            Thats a shame you were so disappointed by the evening, but understandable if you were expecting a live set from the guys. I've caught a few of their dj sets now either in life or over the net and they are always different in character and show great depth of ability when it comes to playing out different music live. I have to say Brighton was no disappointment for me, they absolutely rocked! They dropped breakbeat bombs all over the dancefloor for two hours, and yes, they did play one track from the new album, "i choose noise" no less, which went down extremely well. That was the set i've been waiting to hear live for a long time and its only going to be bettered by a live gig, i had an incredible evening. The club itself was really impressive, with an excellent performance upstairs from the electric playboys club following on after hybrid. i even got to say a little thankyou to Mike as he came off after his set, quality! thanks for an amazing night. i think we need to see
            you down in brighton again playing live next time!

            derek392002 <derek392002@...> wrote: What was the purpose of this appearance?
            The DJ set was tight and skilful but they were just playing other
            people's records! Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a new album
            out? Was this meant to be a form of promotion for it?
            I went to the Zap Club hoping to see them play live. When that didn't
            pan out, I then hoped to hear some of the new album - neither of these
            things took place!
            Why travel all the way down to Brighton to:
            1. not play live?
            2. not play any new tracks?
            It all seemed a bit pointless and I did feel quite disappointed.
            I don't know if band members ever read this forum, but if so: please
            come back to Brighton and play a proper gig, like your fantastic
            previous appearance at Concorde 2!
            Thanks
            Derek
          • Nick Bower
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 10, 2006
              Hmmm... it's always worth checking here to see whether it's a DJ set
              or live gig beforehand - it saves dissapointment (not that I've ever
              been dissapointed with either to tell you the truth). lol

              'DJ set'
              'Live'

              Two very different things.

              :)

              Nick

              --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "derek392002" <derek392002@...> wrote:

              > What was the purpose of this appearance?
              > The DJ set was tight and skilful but they were just playing other
              > people's records! Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a new album
              > out? Was this meant to be a form of promotion for it?
              > I went to the Zap Club hoping to see them play live. When that didn't
              > pan out, I then hoped to hear some of the new album - neither of these
              > things took place!
              > Why travel all the way down to Brighton to:
              > 1. not play live?
              > 2. not play any new tracks?
              > It all seemed a bit pointless and I did feel quite disappointed.
              > I don't know if band members ever read this forum, but if so: please
              > come back to Brighton and play a proper gig, like your fantastic
              > previous appearance at Concorde 2!
              > Thanks
              > Derek

            • James Warren
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 10, 2006
                I think you have to bear in mind that live gigs are pretty expensive and
                tend to be a bit more few and far between when compared to 'pop' and rock
                music. Obviously, you need to get financial support and sponsorship for
                touring and it's not always that easy to come by. Dj'ing is bread and butter
                for most people in Hybrid's boat (i.e. quality producers) and I guess it
                wouldn't be too hard to incorporate some Ableton trickery into their sets. I
                know they've been looking at this using the Xone 3D - just a question of how
                they see their work differentiated I suppose, i.e. does using a laptop and a
                couple of decks constitute a live act to them, or is live more of a band
                thing with drummer, bassist and vocalist? I suspect the latter and this was
                certainly true during the Morning Sci-fi period. Still, lots of room for
                crossover these days.

                Just some thoughts.

                James
              • Adam Shelley
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 10, 2006
                  "they did play one track from the new album, "i choose
                  noise" no less"

                  They did'nt play "i choose noice" they did play "last
                  man standing" tho.

                  To be honest, i enjoyed the night, but they hardly
                  played any breaks, infact they were so "four to the
                  floor" sometimes it sounded very dated. My girlfriend
                  said it sounded like techno! Although she has'nt got a
                  clue, I can see what she means. Hybrid are in my eyes
                  "breaks" dj's that play abit of "house" but that night
                  they were "house" dj's that played abit of "breaks".
                  It seems to be the big venues and festivals when they
                  are like this, when I have see them in tiny (200-300
                  capacity) venues they play a more breaksy set. I much
                  prefer these.

                  P.S I only realised that the dj before them was Jamie
                  Grifiths, the scratching DJ from live Angle. Got a
                  picture with them all, only person missing was Lee
                  Mullins. Ha ha!
                • derek392002
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 13, 2006
                    --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "derek392002" <derek392002@...> wrote:

                    > What was the purpose of this appearance?
                    > The DJ set was tight and skilful but they were just playing other
                    > people's records! Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a new album
                    > out? Was this meant to be a form of promotion for it?
                    > I went to the Zap Club hoping to see them play live. When that didn't
                    > pan out, I then hoped to hear some of the new album - neither of these
                    > things took place!
                    > Why travel all the way down to Brighton to:
                    > 1. not play live?
                    > 2. not play any new tracks?
                    > It all seemed a bit pointless and I did feel quite disappointed.
                    > I don't know if band members ever read this forum, but if so: please
                    > come back to Brighton and play a proper gig, like your fantastic
                    > previous appearance at Concorde 2!
                    > Thanks
                    > Derek

                    Thanks to everyone who replied to my (rather grumpy) message.
                    I felt disappointed as at no time, either on the posters around town
                    or on the tickets, did it say anything about a DJ set only. It's only
                    two words! It could be in small writing or in brackets!
                    Also, I hadn't subscribed to this group prior to the date - my mistake
                    I know, as I would have found out about the appearance before buying
                    the tickets (or not, I hate clubs as I find the music lazy,
                    repetitive, monotonous and soporific).
                    They were just so good at Concorde 2, but of course putting on live
                    gigs is always more expensive and complex than just turning up with a
                    box full of records.
                    Best Wishes to you all
                    Derek