This "Hybrid Vehicle" needs it's breaks checked

  • Garfield
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 30, 2006
      WARNING: A First Impression not subject to the repeated "growing on"
      listenings. Like the Matrix you'll have to experience if for yourself.

      I bought & heard and so I share. After listening to the whole album
      a few times I find myself listening to "Just for Today" again & again.

      Let's start from the beginning. Wonderful into ala Wide Angle. (Better
      than listening to this in a car - my first listen was during takeoff
      on a plane from leaving Vancouver, British Columbia). Definitely a
      more sinister, dark, thriller, mystery type opening. It dovetails
      wonderfully into the opening track. I am not a fan of vocals but
      prefer female if at all so keep this in mind for a possible fork in
      the road. I would follow the trend on most Bond Songs and get the girl.

      I Choose Noise is really exiciting in how they give the seattle
      strings a workout. I had never heard this kind of orchestration
      on Wide Angle but who let that hip hop dude in the concert hall.
      Wish there was more of that fancy string work in that song though.

      No commemts on the other tracks (no first listen goosebumps on
      those). Keep it in The Family - I think would be excellent
      for the Davinci Code Soundtrack but not sure about a hybrid album
      (my smart aleck remark).

      Until Tomorrow - Very nice (much better vocals IMHO)
      Dream Stalker has some breaking power good thing when you are
      on the road not sure about the siloquoy in the middle.
      Oh yeah we are back to Just for today.

      Nice production overall. Hybrid were originally classified
      Breakbreat trance. Now there seems to be less of the breakbeat.
      I think that has largely replaced with their seemingly thirst
      for "Dark" Hardly any if at all piano, scratching, horns, and
      the kind of breakbeat that would have you call their percussion
      semi-automatic (DYD, Beachcoma, Snyper, Altitude). This played
      off well with the interactive strings which I say is different
      than overlapping strings. I'm sorry I guess like it Old
      School but if you like the new sound you my find this a natural
      progression.

      This may very well be a great album for what it is but I sometimes
      wonder if it is a progression from that wonderful ealier stuff or a
      whole new dark direction. "Just for Today" would certainly have you
      think it was the former as it seems like if was from a different album.

      Garfield.
    • Magnus Lorentz
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31, 2006
        Is it out yet?

        I'm back, after a long time, in this list now and waiting for a release
        party to attend :)

        Where can one get hold of the new album?

        I consider myself to be growing along hybrid so I will always appreciate
        them just as much as I did the first time :P

        /Magnus

        _____

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 31, 2006
          Nobody gets anywhere by standing still. Change has to happen (for good
          or bad). Personally I'm all for developing and experimenting.

          :)

          Nick