OT: BT - This Binary Universe

  • Matt A.
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 29, 2006
      I'm not sure if this album has been released in the UK or not yet, but BT's new record just came out today in the States as well (needless to say, this is one of the most exciting days for music for me in a long time).

      I urge EVERYBODY to listen to this record. If you have a DTS capable suround sound setup, I urge you to watch it in 5.1 on the included DVD (but even if you don't, check out the 2.0 PCM mix).

      I hate to see it, but this record totally overshadows I Choose Noise for me.

      Not that ICN is bad. In fact, I love it, but I have never experienced such emotion through music before. I was sobbing UNCONTROLLABLY at the final track, "Good Morning Kaia" (I watched the DVD as my first experience with the album).

      Every song on the album is accompanied by a video. Most of it is all CG stuff, which is cool to watch, but the final video is mostly pictures of BT and his daughter, Kaia, and home videos of them together. A message from father to daughter scrolls across the screen and, set to what I feel is the most beautiful, loving piece of music I've ever heard, it will touch anyone with a heart and soul to experience the unadulterated, unconditional love of a father for his daughter, even if you don't have children of your own.

      I can only thank BT for sharing such a personal record with the world and urge everyone to check it out.

      -Matt A.
    • dcraig@nmt.edu
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 30, 2006
        Actually, if you were near a Virgin Megastore they started selling the
        album on Saturday.

        It is a pretty good album though I don't think I'd sob at the end.

        Just keep in mind if you go looking for it that this is NOT dance music.
        It's not IMA, it's not MISL, it's not Emotional Technology either (thank
        God.) It's more akin to Monster, although that's not applicable either.
        It's more easily listenable and not geared towards some disturbing scene
        in a film, which is a plus although I'm not sure there's a track on this
        album that's nearly as powerful as the Ferris Wheel/Love Theme off of
        Monster either. Or I suppose I should say, there's nothing that quite
        hits the anthem level of that song, although Good Morning Kaia comes
        pretty close. Its more downtempo/symphonic/jazzy/glitchy type music
        (glitchy kinda like what LoStep tried to pull off on some of their slower
        tracks but, IMO, did extremely poorly.)

        Dan

        > I'm not sure if this album has been released in the UK or not yet, but
        > BT's new record just came out today in the States as well (needless to
        > say, this is one of the most exciting days for music for me in a long
        > time).
        >
        > I urge EVERYBODY to listen to this record. If you have a DTS capable
        > suround sound setup, I urge you to watch it in 5.1 on the included DVD
        > (but even if you don't, check out the 2.0 PCM mix).
        >
        > I hate to see it, but this record totally overshadows I Choose Noise for
        > me.
        >
        > Not that ICN is bad. In fact, I love it, but I have never experienced such
        > emotion through music before. I was sobbing UNCONTROLLABLY at the final
        > track, "Good Morning Kaia" (I watched the DVD as my first experience with
        > the album).
        >
        > Every song on the album is accompanied by a video. Most of it is all CG
        > stuff, which is cool to watch, but the final video is mostly pictures of
        > BT and his daughter, Kaia, and home videos of them together. A message
        > from father to daughter scrolls across the screen and, set to what I feel
        > is the most beautiful, loving piece of music I've ever heard, it will
        > touch anyone with a heart and soul to experience the unadulterated,
        > unconditional love of a father for his daughter, even if you don't have
        > children of your own.
        >
        > I can only thank BT for sharing such a personal record with the world and
        > urge everyone to check it out.
        >
        > -Matt A.

      • Richard Gray
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 31, 2006
          Yeah I've had it preordered for ages. Was originally going to be out this
          week in the uk too, followed by the same date as hybrid and now its just
          sometime in the future. I am interested to hear it but personally I just a
          little annoyed at BT's attitude to the uk recently. Its probably his second
          biggest market and get since MISL, theres not been a proper release over
          here( SLIM was kinda a fill in of some tracks missed of the uk MISL album
          like never gonna come back down as well as mixes). Somnambulist was
          imported, ET was imported etc. You might seen them on the shelves sometimes
          over here but imports they are. With the price tag to prove it.
          Then there is the laptop dj set at turnmills that never happened and people
          were only told on the night ( because no one on bt's side had told
          turnmills) there was rumours of this and that but no real reason for it and
          no obvious rearrangement.

          If you've read his blogs, you'll know theres been lots going on, emotionally
          and physically that I do understand that keeping some commitments is hard,
          but it does seem that the UK is getting the bum deal again.
        • Nick Bower
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 31, 2006
            Yep, I was there on that frustrating night :/

            It was a real shame - though I felt more sorry for people who'd never
            seen BT before. I'd been lucky enough to seen him perform live back in
            '98. Still no word of when he'll be coming back...

            However, Nick Warren stepped into the breach on the night and did a
            sterling job of cheering us all up with an extended set. Was very
            impressed with that.

            :)

            Nick

            --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, Richard Gray <zumo_juice@...> wrote:

            > Then there is the laptop dj set at turnmills that never happened and
            people
            > were only told on the night ( because no one on bt's side had told
            > turnmills) there was rumours of this and that but no real reason for
            it and
            > no obvious rearrangement.

          • Kiri Hatton
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 31, 2006
              I (and the other people who post topics on the Norg about it) agree with you
              there.

              I would really love to check out a laptop symphony but I was too skint to go
              to Glastonbury and obviously Turnmills was cancelled. Can't really afford to
              make it over to the US any time soon either! lol

              Paying import prices is indeed a pain, so I usually just order from the US
              where I can.