Re: [Hybrid] Re: I seek clarity...

  • Davin Greenwell
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 30, 2001
      Yeah that's the story morning glory. And stuff :D

      On 30 Mar 2001, Devon Henderson wrote:

      > He's a not so great trance DJ, and he screwed up one of Hybrid's sets at the WMC last year or the year before. Or something. :)
      >
      > - d
      > - www.dev0n.com/hybrid/
      >
      > On Fri, 30 March 2001, "Arvind Sharma" wrote:
      > >
      > > Allo - newbie on list here.
      > >
      > > Who's DJ Geroge Acosta (as mentioned in the sleeve notes of Wider Angle),
      > > and why are Hybrid not particularly fond of him?
    • Antti Mutta
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 1, 2001
        Might be the reason why Hybrid gave him some disrespect in the sleeve notes
        of Wider Angle :)

        -antti

      • propellerheadcase@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 2, 2001
          Hmmm... let's play spot the non-DJ.

          Playing "other people's music" has one very important aspect
          of "credibility" a "group making their own music live on stage" has
          the restriction of playing their music and maybe the odd cover, the
          DJ on the other hand plays everybody's music recontextualising it by
          referencing it to different tracks in the mix. The exact same song
          can sound, and certainly feel, completely different depending on the
          song before and the song after. That is, after all the point.

          I've got an excellent quote somewhere from a DJ in the disco era who
          said that he played what was, at that time, the debut of some Donna
          Summer track and it bombed in a big way - he played again 4 hours
          later and completely rocked the crowd. Figure that one out!?

          The DJ uses music as a psycho-social catalyst or, failing that, to
          deafen people who are standing too close to the speakers.

          A1

          The Music is the Life...
          ...and it Shall Be Ours.

          --- In HybridUK@y..., Davin Greenwell <wk805@v...> wrote:

          > See, what I don't get about all of this is that George and DJ's in
          general
          > just play records that are written by other people (and rarely by
          > themselves) and a group that is making their own music live on the
          stage
          > is slightly MORE incredible than watching a d00d 'mix' ..
          >
          > blah
          >
          > davin
          >
          > On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Daniel Craig wrote:
          >
          > > Actually, I thought what happened was Hybrid was playing a wicked
          live
          > > PA and the crowd was going wild. And at the end of their set the
          crowd
          > > wanted an encore so they played one. And the crowd started going
          wild
          > > again so Mike Truman ran up and started trying to get everyone to
          let
          > > them have one more encore. All the while George Acosta was
          getting
          > > pissed because Hybrid was taking up his DJ time (and I don't care
          which
          > > Dj is playing, when Hybrid is on they can sit down and watch until
          > > Hybrid is good and ready to leave.) Anyway, he got the sound
          guys to
          > > cut out Hybrid in mid performance and started playing over them
          as that
          > > happened. Although I wasn't there so I can't be sure... that's
          the
          > > story I was told.
          > >
          > > DC
          > >

          > > !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          > > Vote for your favourite Hybrid remix on the new CD at:
          > > !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          > >

          > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Chris McCallum
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 3, 2001
            they??? AK 1200 is one guy, peace, Chris

            >From: propellerheadcase@...
            >To: HybridUK@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [Hybrid] Re: I seek clarity...
            >Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 04:28:12 -0000
            >
            >Since when was AK1200 silly?
            >
            >Check the Crystal Method remix they did.
            >
            >--- In HybridUK@y..., "Jungrrl" <jungrrl@h...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Although I wasn't there so I can't be sure... that's the
            > > > story I was told.
            > >
            > > Same with me...that's the story that I'd gotten... I was actually
            >at that
            > > party... but at that time I didn't realize how much I liked Hybrid
            >and how
            > > they didn't often play here....
            > >
            > > <kicks herself for being dumb and watching silly AK1200>
            > >
            > > Kc

          • Devon Henderson
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 3, 2001
              just as an FYI...

              davin is a dj. an amazing dj. my favorite dj ever, to be honest. :)

              - d

              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 3, 2001
                Whilst strictly-speaking true I was under the impression that there
                was one particular engineer/producer that works with AK - I may be
                wrong, I don't pretend to know him that well!

                A1

                The Music is the Life...
                ...and It Shall be Ours.

                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 3, 2001
                  Oh, the sycophancy! No surprises, I'm a DJ, too.

                  "Mr DJ!

                  Lion Rock Sound System"

                  Apologies for the tangent - my music self is battling for supremacy
                  over my verbose self.

                  A1 & 2

                  The Music is the Life...
                  ...and It Shall Be Ours.