RE: [Hybrid] Coachella: I missed Hybrid, but...

  • Simon Jones
    Message 1 of 5 , May 4, 2006
      I would say its safe to say HGW did some stuff on the live show seeing as
      hes string man on quite a considerable amount of the new album... ;)

      Message 2 of 5 , May 5, 2006
        I did not mess Hybrid all though I wished I did. I meet them in the
        vendor parking lot. They browed two mess kits of mine and did not return
        them. I took Pete and some girl to Starbucks to get coffee. That was
        the last I saw them. I'm disappointed in them.

        Raymond (RC) Contreras
        IS IT Administrator/Clerk
        20002 E Business PKY.
        Walnut CA 91789
        909-598-7165 Ext.1661
        Fax 909-468-1413
        raymond.contreras@...

        ________________________________

        > would say its safe to say HGW did some stuff on the live show >seeing as hes string man on quite a considerable amount of
        >the new album... ;)

        <snip>
      • Digital Puppy
        Message 3 of 5 , May 5, 2006
          I wasn't able to go to Coachella either, but I wanted to post this article
          from the L.A. Times without permission:

          ----

          http://www.calendarlive.com/events/cl-et-coachdance1may01,0,4532340.story

          DANCE MUSIC REVIEW

          A genre is back in style

          Big things are expected - and delivered - as energetic acts veer off the
          typical path.

          By Steve Baltin
          Special to The Times

          May 1, 2006

          INDIO -- Over the past couple of years, dance music, an integral part of
          Coachella's history, has been more of an accessory than a main part of the
          bill, reflecting the genre's somewhat flaccid state.

          But with Madonna scheduled to be in the house on Sunday night and French duo
          Daft Punk, probably the most requested dance headliner thus far on the
          Coachella message boards, topping Saturday's lineup, dance music returned to
          the forefront of the annual two-day musical smorgasbord in the desert.

          The presence of the two highly anticipated acts even prompted promoter
          Goldenvoice to enlarge the Sahara Tent, Coachella's annual DJ playground,
          creating a physical manifestation of the raised expectations for 2006's
          dance music lineup.

          Britain's Hybrid met those expectations early, getting the day off to a
          memorable start by using live instruments, including guitar and keyboards,
          as well as guest vocalists Perry Farrell and John Graham, a.k.a. Quiver, to
          deliver an hourlong set that incorporated elements of industrial, techno,
          progressive, trance and psychedelia. The styles often merged seamlessly
          within one song, as on the up-tempo psychedelic-flavored "Dogstar," a track
          featuring Farrell.

          Though the event featured some quality DJ sets - particularly from
          progressive icon Carl Cox, who masterfully controlled the mood of the tent
          with his use of changing tempos - and nice moments from fellow house DJ
          Colette, Hybrid really established the tone for a day that saw many veer off
          the typical dance music path.

          Over in the Gobi Tent, the Juan Maclean also performed electronic music as a
          live act, utilizing percussion to augment an esoteric, quirky
          synthesizer-rich sound that challenged the mind more than the body.

          Back in the Sahara, British dance-hop duo Audio Bullys melded hip-hop rhymes
          and primal jungle beats into one highly charged urban sound that offered
          both originality and visceral energy, even if the songs didn't always live
          up to their potential.

          As soon as Audio Bullys ended around 10:30 Saturday night, the tent began
          filling up in anticipation of Daft Punk's appearance.

          Keeping with the essential premise of their records, the duo appeared
          dressed as robots, backed by flashing digital signage. The look added a bit
          of drama, as well as a visual component frequently lacking in dance, to the
          night. The pair proved to have no need for gimmicks, though, feeding off the
          frenzied energy of the crowd, as it wove together predominantly
          keyboard-laden new wave with warm disco grooves, occasionally branching off
          as they did on a synthesizer jam that segued into a funk, R&B beat. The
          packed Sahara Tent, a sea of humanity that stretched out on all sides,
          exploded at the opening of the pop-flavored and popular "One More Time." And
          with that, dance music's place in Coachella lore was restored, at least for
          this night.