Re: [Hybrid] Coachella: I missed Hybrid, but...

  • Carolyn Suzanne Pfaff
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2006
      of all the things in the world to happen to me, it happened. damn
      parking took forever and i missed the boys performance. oddly enough,
      i managed to walk backstage past every security guard without them
      saying a word. i walked right up to mike and chris and their lovely
      clan all relaxing behind the stage. dont know how i did it! the
      weather was wickedly hot and we were all sitting in the shade, waiting
      for a few golf carts to escort the group and the gear back to their
      rv's. so once chris was on the last one with tons of equipment, we
      scored our own golf cart, me and bunny actually, and were escorted back
      to the artist lot. those guys had the right idea. they had rented two
      rv's (big ones) and had them parked side by side, about 10 people in
      all sharing them. harry g.w. and his sweet girlfriend were there too.
      does anyone know if he played a song or two during their performance??
      so we all hung out and drank some whiskey, then walked back to the main
      stage for kanye west. he was starting late so we moved on. all in
      all, i managed to see sigur ros, imogen heap, depeche mode, franz
      ferdinand, and a bit of daft punk. by the end of depeche mode though,
      my feet were so swollen and blistered that i yearned for my sweet hotel
      bed. it took at least an hour to find our car in the midst of dusty
      cars, row after row after row. so the next day, i drew up a map! we
      decided to show up later to avoid the sun and caught bloc party, seo
      george (brazilian singer from life aquatic, real groovy!), editors
      (which were awesome), madonna (i dont know how she does it), massive
      attack (really good, but i would have liked it better if the vocalist
      got the lyrics right on unfinished sympathy, i hate that!) and scissor
      sisters, which were really fun and inventive, glam rock rules!!!!!
      anyways, i'm seriously pissed that i missed the live show, but i'm
      hoping some people at least got some decent pics or videos to share. i
      hear that they are going to be playing the new annual summer downtown
      l.a. party, which is to make up for the nye party. let's keep our
      fingers crossed that it's another live show!!!
      anyways, sorry to all the people i didnt see, the phone's sure did
      suck, i got tons of messages after the whole things was over! good
      seeing you dave! see you at avalon on saturday, drew!
      love,

      On May 1, 2006, at 9:08 PM, Eric Chu wrote:

      > ... Daft Punk on Saturday night was the most amazing live performance�
      > I've ever seen in my entire life.� They're doing a few more shows in�
      > France, Germany, Spain, and Japan, I believe.� If you can catch their�
      > show, DO IT.� Anybody have any reviews of Hybrid's performance?� :/� �
      > I got there when they were packing up, and got a quick chance to talk�
      > to Mike.� Swedish Egil was there too, and we talked about Sasha for a�
      > while (his Ableton Live setup) and he was really down to earth!� Not�
      > to mention Massive Attack's brilliant showing on Sunday evening!
      >
      > Coachella rocked!
    • Simon Jones
      Message 2 of 5 , May 4, 2006
        I would say its safe to say HGW did some stuff on the live show seeing as
        hes string man on quite a considerable amount of the new album... ;)

> [...]
        it's another live show!!!
        anyways, sorry to all the people i didnt see, the phone's sure did suck, i
        got tons of messages after the whole things was over! good seeing you dave!
        see you at avalon on saturday, drew!
        love,

        On May 1, 2006, at 9:08 PM, Eric Chu wrote:

        > ... Daft Punk on Saturday night was the most amazing live performance
        > I've ever seen in my entire life. They're doing a few more shows in
        > France, Germany, Spain, and Japan, I believe. If you can catch their
        > show, DO IT. Anybody have any reviews of Hybrid's performance? :/ I
        > got there when they were packing up, and got a quick chance to talk
        > to Mike. Swedish Egil was there too, and we talked about Sasha for a
        > while (his Ableton Live setup) and he was really down to earth! Not
        > to mention Massive Attack's brilliant showing on Sunday evening!

      • Contreras Raymond
        Message 3 of 5 , May 5, 2006
          I did not mess Hybrid all though I wished I did. I meet them in the
          vendor parking lot. They browed two mess kits of mine and did not return
          them. I took Pete and some girl to Starbucks to get coffee. That was
          the last I saw them. I'm disappointed in them.

          Raymond (RC) Contreras
          IS IT Administrator/Clerk
          20002 E Business PKY.
          Walnut CA 91789
          909-598-7165 Ext.1661
          Fax 909-468-1413
          raymond.contreras@...

          ________________________________

          > would say its safe to say HGW did some stuff on the live show >seeing as hes string man on quite a considerable amount of
          >the new album... ;)

          <snip>
        • Digital Puppy
          Message 4 of 5 , May 5, 2006
            I wasn't able to go to Coachella either, but I wanted to post this article
            from the L.A. Times without permission:

            ----

            http://www.calendarlive.com/events/cl-et-coachdance1may01,0,4532340.story

            DANCE MUSIC REVIEW

            A genre is back in style

            Big things are expected - and delivered - as energetic acts veer off the
            typical path.

            By Steve Baltin
            Special to The Times

            May 1, 2006

            INDIO -- Over the past couple of years, dance music, an integral part of
            Coachella's history, has been more of an accessory than a main part of the
            bill, reflecting the genre's somewhat flaccid state.

            But with Madonna scheduled to be in the house on Sunday night and French duo
            Daft Punk, probably the most requested dance headliner thus far on the
            Coachella message boards, topping Saturday's lineup, dance music returned to
            the forefront of the annual two-day musical smorgasbord in the desert.

            The presence of the two highly anticipated acts even prompted promoter
            Goldenvoice to enlarge the Sahara Tent, Coachella's annual DJ playground,
            creating a physical manifestation of the raised expectations for 2006's
            dance music lineup.

            Britain's Hybrid met those expectations early, getting the day off to a
            memorable start by using live instruments, including guitar and keyboards,
            as well as guest vocalists Perry Farrell and John Graham, a.k.a. Quiver, to
            deliver an hourlong set that incorporated elements of industrial, techno,
            progressive, trance and psychedelia. The styles often merged seamlessly
            within one song, as on the up-tempo psychedelic-flavored "Dogstar," a track
            featuring Farrell.

            Though the event featured some quality DJ sets - particularly from
            progressive icon Carl Cox, who masterfully controlled the mood of the tent
            with his use of changing tempos - and nice moments from fellow house DJ
            Colette, Hybrid really established the tone for a day that saw many veer off
            the typical dance music path.

            Over in the Gobi Tent, the Juan Maclean also performed electronic music as a
            live act, utilizing percussion to augment an esoteric, quirky
            synthesizer-rich sound that challenged the mind more than the body.

            Back in the Sahara, British dance-hop duo Audio Bullys melded hip-hop rhymes
            and primal jungle beats into one highly charged urban sound that offered
            both originality and visceral energy, even if the songs didn't always live
            up to their potential.

            As soon as Audio Bullys ended around 10:30 Saturday night, the tent began
            filling up in anticipation of Daft Punk's appearance.

            Keeping with the essential premise of their records, the duo appeared
            dressed as robots, backed by flashing digital signage. The look added a bit
            of drama, as well as a visual component frequently lacking in dance, to the
            night. The pair proved to have no need for gimmicks, though, feeding off the
            frenzied energy of the crowd, as it wove together predominantly
            keyboard-laden new wave with warm disco grooves, occasionally branching off
            as they did on a synthesizer jam that segued into a funk, R&B beat. The
            packed Sahara Tent, a sea of humanity that stretched out on all sides,
            exploded at the opening of the pop-flavored and popular "One More Time." And
            with that, dance music's place in Coachella lore was restored, at least for
            this night.