Coachella: I missed Hybrid, but...

  • Eric Chu
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2006
      ... Daft Punk on Saturday night was the most amazing live performance
      I've ever seen in my entire life. They're doing a few more shows in
      France, Germany, Spain, and Japan, I believe. If you can catch their
      show, DO IT. Anybody have any reviews of Hybrid's performance? :/
      I got there when they were packing up, and got a quick chance to talk
      to Mike. Swedish Egil was there too, and we talked about Sasha for a
      while (his Ableton Live setup) and he was really down to earth! Not
      to mention Massive Attack's brilliant showing on Sunday evening!

      Coachella rocked!
    • Carolyn Suzanne Pfaff
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2006
        of all the things in the world to happen to me, it happened. damn
        parking took forever and i missed the boys performance. oddly enough,
        i managed to walk backstage past every security guard without them
        saying a word. i walked right up to mike and chris and their lovely
        clan all relaxing behind the stage. dont know how i did it! the
        weather was wickedly hot and we were all sitting in the shade, waiting
        for a few golf carts to escort the group and the gear back to their
        rv's. so once chris was on the last one with tons of equipment, we
        scored our own golf cart, me and bunny actually, and were escorted back
        to the artist lot. those guys had the right idea. they had rented two
        rv's (big ones) and had them parked side by side, about 10 people in
        all sharing them. harry g.w. and his sweet girlfriend were there too.
        does anyone know if he played a song or two during their performance??
        so we all hung out and drank some whiskey, then walked back to the main
        stage for kanye west. he was starting late so we moved on. all in
        all, i managed to see sigur ros, imogen heap, depeche mode, franz
        ferdinand, and a bit of daft punk. by the end of depeche mode though,
        my feet were so swollen and blistered that i yearned for my sweet hotel
        bed. it took at least an hour to find our car in the midst of dusty
        cars, row after row after row. so the next day, i drew up a map! we
        decided to show up later to avoid the sun and caught bloc party, seo
        george (brazilian singer from life aquatic, real groovy!), editors
        (which were awesome), madonna (i dont know how she does it), massive
        attack (really good, but i would have liked it better if the vocalist
        got the lyrics right on unfinished sympathy, i hate that!) and scissor
        sisters, which were really fun and inventive, glam rock rules!!!!!
        anyways, i'm seriously pissed that i missed the live show, but i'm
        hoping some people at least got some decent pics or videos to share. i
        hear that they are going to be playing the new annual summer downtown
        l.a. party, which is to make up for the nye party. let's keep our
        fingers crossed that it's another live show!!!
        anyways, sorry to all the people i didnt see, the phone's sure did
        suck, i got tons of messages after the whole things was over! good
        seeing you dave! see you at avalon on saturday, drew!
        love,

        On May 1, 2006, at 9:08 PM, Eric Chu wrote:

        > ... Daft Punk on Saturday night was the most amazing live performance�
        > I've ever seen in my entire life.� They're doing a few more shows in�
        > France, Germany, Spain, and Japan, I believe.� If you can catch their�
        > show, DO IT.� Anybody have any reviews of Hybrid's performance?� :/� �
        > I got there when they were packing up, and got a quick chance to talk�
        > to Mike.� Swedish Egil was there too, and we talked about Sasha for a�
        > while (his Ableton Live setup) and he was really down to earth!� Not�
        > to mention Massive Attack's brilliant showing on Sunday evening!
        >
        > Coachella rocked!
      • Simon Jones
        Message 3 of 5 , May 4, 2006
          I would say its safe to say HGW did some stuff on the live show seeing as
          hes string man on quite a considerable amount of the new album... ;)

> [...]
          it's another live show!!!
          anyways, sorry to all the people i didnt see, the phone's sure did suck, i
          got tons of messages after the whole things was over! good seeing you dave!
          see you at avalon on saturday, drew!
          love,

          On May 1, 2006, at 9:08 PM, Eric Chu wrote:

          > ... Daft Punk on Saturday night was the most amazing live performance
          > I've ever seen in my entire life. They're doing a few more shows in
          > France, Germany, Spain, and Japan, I believe. If you can catch their
          > show, DO IT. Anybody have any reviews of Hybrid's performance? :/ I
          > got there when they were packing up, and got a quick chance to talk
          > to Mike. Swedish Egil was there too, and we talked about Sasha for a
          > while (his Ableton Live setup) and he was really down to earth! Not
          > to mention Massive Attack's brilliant showing on Sunday evening!

        • Contreras Raymond
          Message 4 of 5 , May 5, 2006
            I did not mess Hybrid all though I wished I did. I meet them in the
            vendor parking lot. They browed two mess kits of mine and did not return
            them. I took Pete and some girl to Starbucks to get coffee. That was
            the last I saw them. I'm disappointed in them.

            Raymond (RC) Contreras
            IS IT Administrator/Clerk
            20002 E Business PKY.
            Walnut CA 91789
            909-598-7165 Ext.1661
            Fax 909-468-1413
            raymond.contreras@...

            ________________________________

            > would say its safe to say HGW did some stuff on the live show >seeing as hes string man on quite a considerable amount of
            >the new album... ;)

            <snip>
          • Digital Puppy
            Message 5 of 5 , May 5, 2006
              I wasn't able to go to Coachella either, but I wanted to post this article
              from the L.A. Times without permission:

              ----

              http://www.calendarlive.com/events/cl-et-coachdance1may01,0,4532340.story

              DANCE MUSIC REVIEW

              A genre is back in style

              Big things are expected - and delivered - as energetic acts veer off the
              typical path.

              By Steve Baltin
              Special to The Times

              May 1, 2006

              INDIO -- Over the past couple of years, dance music, an integral part of
              Coachella's history, has been more of an accessory than a main part of the
              bill, reflecting the genre's somewhat flaccid state.

              But with Madonna scheduled to be in the house on Sunday night and French duo
              Daft Punk, probably the most requested dance headliner thus far on the
              Coachella message boards, topping Saturday's lineup, dance music returned to
              the forefront of the annual two-day musical smorgasbord in the desert.

              The presence of the two highly anticipated acts even prompted promoter
              Goldenvoice to enlarge the Sahara Tent, Coachella's annual DJ playground,
              creating a physical manifestation of the raised expectations for 2006's
              dance music lineup.

              Britain's Hybrid met those expectations early, getting the day off to a
              memorable start by using live instruments, including guitar and keyboards,
              as well as guest vocalists Perry Farrell and John Graham, a.k.a. Quiver, to
              deliver an hourlong set that incorporated elements of industrial, techno,
              progressive, trance and psychedelia. The styles often merged seamlessly
              within one song, as on the up-tempo psychedelic-flavored "Dogstar," a track
              featuring Farrell.

              Though the event featured some quality DJ sets - particularly from
              progressive icon Carl Cox, who masterfully controlled the mood of the tent
              with his use of changing tempos - and nice moments from fellow house DJ
              Colette, Hybrid really established the tone for a day that saw many veer off
              the typical dance music path.

              Over in the Gobi Tent, the Juan Maclean also performed electronic music as a
              live act, utilizing percussion to augment an esoteric, quirky
              synthesizer-rich sound that challenged the mind more than the body.

              Back in the Sahara, British dance-hop duo Audio Bullys melded hip-hop rhymes
              and primal jungle beats into one highly charged urban sound that offered
              both originality and visceral energy, even if the songs didn't always live
              up to their potential.

              As soon as Audio Bullys ended around 10:30 Saturday night, the tent began
              filling up in anticipation of Daft Punk's appearance.

              Keeping with the essential premise of their records, the duo appeared
              dressed as robots, backed by flashing digital signage. The look added a bit
              of drama, as well as a visual component frequently lacking in dance, to the
              night. The pair proved to have no need for gimmicks, though, feeding off the
              frenzied energy of the crowd, as it wove together predominantly
              keyboard-laden new wave with warm disco grooves, occasionally branching off
              as they did on a synthesizer jam that segued into a funk, R&B beat. The
              packed Sahara Tent, a sea of humanity that stretched out on all sides,
              exploded at the opening of the pop-flavored and popular "One More Time." And
              with that, dance music's place in Coachella lore was restored, at least for
              this night.