Re: That time of year...

  • Tag Simler
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2005
      This sounds like fun.

      Albums: Moby - Hotel, Kirsty Hawkshaw - Meta Message, Dylan Rhymes - Dead Famous, Royksopp - The Understanding, Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard - Batman Begins, John Williams - Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith

      Mixes: lots from Hybridized (esp. the new sets from DW and Noel Sanger), The Crystal Method - Community Service II, UNKLE - Edit Music for a Film, and of course, Cumulus (f'ing brilliant, James)

      Tracks: Joel Armstrong - "Serenity", many more

      Remixes: the Hybrid bootleg mix collection, the Proton Remix contest of Deepsky's "Deep in the Moment"

      Event: Hybrid at Ice in Houston, Dave Matthews Band in Selma, TX

      Looking forward to: everything Hybrid (LP3, RAAPB2, Catacombs), NuBreed Y4K, and much more

      *and a new category I came up with* :-)
      Anything that was released before this year, but you discovered THIS year: Kirsty Hawkshaw - O<U>T, Evil Nine - You Can Be Special Too

      Tag

      --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "James C Warren" <james@w...> wrote:
      It's the start of December and it got me thinking about favourite albums, tracks, mixes, remixes and events of the year. I'll start the ball rolling.

      Albums: Imogen Heap - Speak for Yourself, Bloc Party - Silent Alarm, M83 - Before the Dawn Heals Us, Royksopp - The Understanding, Depeche Mode - Playing the Angel, Underworld - LovelyBrokenThing

      Mixes: Loads and loads from Hybridized :) but I also enjoyed the Renaissance Therapy Sessions (Vol 2), Y4K series, Layered Sounds series, Sasha - Fundacion, stuff from Face (Mixdepot), and entries from the BijouBreaks competition.

      Tracks: Too many to mention but anything I've used means I love it. Really dig Andrew Kelly's stuff in particular 'A Downside to Belonging'. Also Bloc Party - The Pioneers (M83 Remix)

      Remixes: Again, too many to mention but I really enjoyed Sasha remixes of DM - Precious and Faithless - Insomnia.

      Event: Faithless at Brixton (last night!); Feeder (Brixton); missing U2 in the summer :( (boo!, in hospital).

      Looking forward to: (apart from the obvious ;) Underworld's new album and UK tour (they're also starting to push some boundaries with internet marketing which is good to see); Andy Page album; Andrew Kelly stuff. New Marillion stuff (always pushing internet and marketing boundaries).
    • RICHARD LUND
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2005
        ok Ill try ...

        Albums: Dylan Rhymes - Dead Famous,JDS - Purple Funky Monkey , Pharcyde -
        Humboldt Beginnings , Rehab - Grafitti the World , Ministry - Rantology ,
        Skinny Puppy - Greater Wrong of the Right , Hybrid - Y4k , Evil 9 - You Can
        Be Special Too , SkimKid 3 - Slim's Cafe , Orgone (untitled) , Timo Maas -
        Pictures , (and probably alot more ive forgotten)

        mixes: Various Hybrid & BT Live sets from the last few years ... DJ Bobby B
        - 99 Rips , DJ Bobby B - Diggin in the Crates , various Way Out West LIVE
        performaces ...

        tracks:�way too many to mention ...

        Remixes:� the Hybrid bootleg mix collection , anything new by JDS , evil 9
        & stanton Warriors

        Events : Grayarea & front 242 in Tampa ... didnt really see many 'events'
        this year...

        Looking forward to:�New Hybrid ...New Stanton Warrios .... Ministry &
        Revolting Cocks tour 2006

        Rick

        GLITCH

        http://www.myspace.com/DJ_Glitch
      • Anton
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2005
          Albums: the mars volta - "frances the mute", princess superstar -
          "my machine", asian dub foundation - "tank", esthero - "wikked lil
          grrls". team sleep and gorrillaz are honorable mentions too :)

          Tracks: team sleep - "king diamond", princess superstar - "bad girls
          NYC", m83 - "car chase terror" (this track is just... crazy). ADF -
          "who runs the place", Enigma - Hello and welcome (new track, YAY!)

          Mixes: Influenza - august 2005 mix (got it from mix-tapes.de i
          believe, amazing breaks, would especially reccomend it to those who
          hate it when hybrid and dub pistols spin too much house into sets).
          and the Hybrid Liquified sets are great.

          Remixes: puscifer "rev 22:20" (4:20 mix), Hooverphonic - "You hurt
          me" (no more sweet music mix), Collide - "Tempted" (Conjure One Mix)
          (last years, but i just got the cd recently).

          Event: mars volta/system show, as well as NIN show.

          Looking forward to new hooverphonic, tool, enigma, sneaker pimps,
          and a damn hybrid show in my town!!!

          --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Tag Simler" <jtsimler3@m...> wrote:

          > This sounds like fun.
          >
          > Albums: Moby - Hotel, Kirsty Hawkshaw - Meta Message, Dylan
          Rhymes - Dead Famous, Royksopp - The Understanding, Hans Zimmer &
          James Newton Howard - Batman Begins, John Williams - Star Wars:
          Revenge of the Sith

          > Mixes: lots from Hybridized (esp. the new sets from DW and Noel
          Sanger), The Crystal Method - Community Service II, UNKLE - Edit
          Music for a Film, and of course, Cumulus (f'ing brilliant, James)

          > Tracks: Joel Armstrong - "Serenity", many more
          >
          > Remixes: the Hybrid bootleg mix collection, the Proton Remix
          contest of Deepsky's "Deep in the Moment"

          > Event: Hybrid at Ice in Houston, Dave Matthews Band in Selma, TX
          >
          > Looking forward to: everything Hybrid (LP3, RAAPB2, Catacombs),
          NuBreed Y4K, and much more

          > *and a new category I came up with* :-)
          > Anything that was released before this year, but you discovered
          THIS year: Kirsty Hawkshaw - O<U>T, Evil Nine - You Can Be Special
          Too

          > Tag
          >

          > --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "James C Warren" <james@w...>
          wrote:
          > It's the start of December and it got me thinking about favourite
          albums, tracks, mixes, remixes and events of the year. I'll start
          the ball rolling.

          > Albums: Imogen Heap - Speak for Yourself, Bloc Party - Silent
          Alarm, M83 - Before the Dawn Heals Us, Royksopp - The Understanding,
          Depeche Mode - Playing the Angel, Underworld - LovelyBrokenThing

          > Mixes: Loads and loads from Hybridized :) but I also enjoyed the
          Renaissance Therapy Sessions (Vol 2), Y4K series, Layered Sounds
          series, Sasha - Fundacion, stuff from Face (Mixdepot), and entries
          from the BijouBreaks competition.

          > Tracks: Too many to mention but anything I've used means I love
          it. Really dig Andrew Kelly's stuff in particular 'A Downside to
          Belonging'. Also Bloc Party - The Pioneers (M83 Remix)

          > Remixes: Again, too many to mention but I really enjoyed Sasha
          remixes of DM - Precious and Faithless - Insomnia.

          > Event: Faithless at Brixton (last night!); Feeder (Brixton);
          missing U2 in the summer :( (boo!, in hospital).

          > Looking forward to: (apart from the obvious ;) Underworld's new
          album and UK tour (they're also starting to push some boundaries
          with internet marketing which is good to see); Andy Page album;
          Andrew Kelly stuff. New Marillion stuff (always pushing internet and
          marketing boundaries).

        • Harkin, Andy
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 5, 2005
            Albums:
            Ali B's Y4K and General Midi - Midi Style are my favourites from Distinctive, though most releases have been excellent. Other albums which tend to stay near the player are Dreadzone - Once upon a time, Turn Brakes - JackInABox, both due to excellent gigs I attended.

            Mixes:
            Oh my - so many :) James Warren's mixes have brought a huge amount of enjoyment.
            http://www.theyoungpunx.com/ - Some fun mixes on here
            Also, the Elite Force Strongarm Sessions - http://www.strongarmsessions.co.uk/
            James Zabiela's offerings http://homepage.mac.com/jameszabiela/FOUR.2/FileSharing25.html for DJ Mag comp,
            This http://www.bangingtunes.com/forum/topic/t27543/ Hard House thingy which most of you will probably hate ;)
            Neil Quigley, who has been John Digweed's warm-up DJ for the last Bedrock parties http://www.neilquigley.com/
            Re-discovered Ali Line - OPM - http://www.mixdepot.net/MarblesDJs/AliLineOPM

            Events:
            Loads of parties, I go out nearly every weekend, but the best fun has been had at these.

            Glade - Wow! Utterly awesome. (Apart from the thieving scumbags)
            Big Chill - WowWow! (as above)
            Dreadzone in Oxford
            Faithless in Brixton last Wed
            Every Chew the Fat - THE best breaks party :)
            SEOne III in May - honoured to be asked to run the breaks room.
            Eargasm a couple of months ago. (Anyone up for it this coming Friday?)
            ChiChime and Nano records in Stratford