That time of year...

  • James C Warren
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2005
      It's the start of December and it got me thinking about favourite albums,
      tracks, mixes, remixes and events of the year. I'll start the ball rolling.

      Albums: Imogen Heap - Speak for Yourself, Bloc Party - Silent Alarm, M83 -
      Before the Dawn Heals Us, Royksopp - The Understanding, Depeche Mode -
      Playing the Angel, Underworld - LovelyBrokenThing

      Mixes: Loads and loads from Hybridized :) but I also enjoyed the Renaissance
      Therapy Sessions (Vol 2), Y4K series, Layered Sounds series, Sasha -
      Fundacion, stuff from Face (Mixdepot), and entries from the BijouBreaks
      competition.

      Tracks: Too many to mention but anything I've used means I love it. Really
      dig Andrew Kelly's stuff in particular 'A Downside to Belonging'. Also Bloc
      Party - The Pioneers (M83 Remix)

      Remixes: Again, too many to mention but I really enjoyed Sasha remixes of DM
      - Precious and Faithless - Insomnia.

      Event: Faithless at Brixton (last night!); Feeder (Brixton); missing U2 in
      the summer :( (boo!, in hospital).

      Looking forward to: (apart from the obvious ;) Underworld's new album and UK
      tour (they're also starting to push some boundaries with internet marketing
      which is good to see); Andy Page album; Andrew Kelly stuff. New Marillion
      stuff (always pushing internet and marketing boundaries).
    • Sapna Modi
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2005
        hmm. lets see.

        albums: will saul - space between. ferenc - fraximal. timo maas -
        pictures. royksopp - understanding. athlete - tourism.

        mixes: dominik eulberg - kreucht. parallel sounds - live set. can costa
        - proton radio mix.

        tracks: everything by dave dk, audiofly, jori hulkkonen and some stuff
        by trentemoller.

        remixes: everything by audiofly and ewan pearson.

        event: dj t, mandy, mr c and phonique @ the end. the egg @ cargo.
        royksopp @ koko.

        looking forward to: something new.

        On 1 Dec 2005, at 18:26, James C Warren wrote:

[...]

      • Tag Simler
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2005
          This sounds like fun.

          Albums: Moby - Hotel, Kirsty Hawkshaw - Meta Message, Dylan Rhymes - Dead Famous, Royksopp - The Understanding, Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard - Batman Begins, John Williams - Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith

          Mixes: lots from Hybridized (esp. the new sets from DW and Noel Sanger), The Crystal Method - Community Service II, UNKLE - Edit Music for a Film, and of course, Cumulus (f'ing brilliant, James)

          Tracks: Joel Armstrong - "Serenity", many more

          Remixes: the Hybrid bootleg mix collection, the Proton Remix contest of Deepsky's "Deep in the Moment"

          Event: Hybrid at Ice in Houston, Dave Matthews Band in Selma, TX

          Looking forward to: everything Hybrid (LP3, RAAPB2, Catacombs), NuBreed Y4K, and much more

          *and a new category I came up with* :-)
          Anything that was released before this year, but you discovered THIS year: Kirsty Hawkshaw - O<U>T, Evil Nine - You Can Be Special Too

          Tag

          --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "James C Warren" <james@w...> wrote:
[...]

        • RICHARD LUND
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2005
            ok Ill try ...

            Albums: Dylan Rhymes - Dead Famous,JDS - Purple Funky Monkey , Pharcyde -
            Humboldt Beginnings , Rehab - Grafitti the World , Ministry - Rantology ,
            Skinny Puppy - Greater Wrong of the Right , Hybrid - Y4k , Evil 9 - You Can
            Be Special Too , SkimKid 3 - Slim's Cafe , Orgone (untitled) , Timo Maas -
            Pictures , (and probably alot more ive forgotten)

            mixes: Various Hybrid & BT Live sets from the last few years ... DJ Bobby B
            - 99 Rips , DJ Bobby B - Diggin in the Crates , various Way Out West LIVE
            performaces ...

            tracks:�way too many to mention ...

            Remixes:� the Hybrid bootleg mix collection , anything new by JDS , evil 9
            & stanton Warriors

            Events : Grayarea & front 242 in Tampa ... didnt really see many 'events'
            this year...

            Looking forward to:�New Hybrid ...New Stanton Warrios .... Ministry &
            Revolting Cocks tour 2006

            Rick

            GLITCH

            http://www.myspace.com/DJ_Glitch
          • Anton
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 3, 2005
              Albums: the mars volta - "frances the mute", princess superstar -
              "my machine", asian dub foundation - "tank", esthero - "wikked lil
              grrls". team sleep and gorrillaz are honorable mentions too :)

              Tracks: team sleep - "king diamond", princess superstar - "bad girls
              NYC", m83 - "car chase terror" (this track is just... crazy). ADF -
              "who runs the place", Enigma - Hello and welcome (new track, YAY!)

              Mixes: Influenza - august 2005 mix (got it from mix-tapes.de i
              believe, amazing breaks, would especially reccomend it to those who
              hate it when hybrid and dub pistols spin too much house into sets).
              and the Hybrid Liquified sets are great.

              Remixes: puscifer "rev 22:20" (4:20 mix), Hooverphonic - "You hurt
              me" (no more sweet music mix), Collide - "Tempted" (Conjure One Mix)
              (last years, but i just got the cd recently).

              Event: mars volta/system show, as well as NIN show.

              Looking forward to new hooverphonic, tool, enigma, sneaker pimps,
              and a damn hybrid show in my town!!!

              --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Tag Simler" <jtsimler3@m...> wrote:

              > This sounds like fun.
              >
              > Albums: Moby - Hotel, Kirsty Hawkshaw - Meta Message, Dylan
              Rhymes - Dead Famous, Royksopp - The Understanding, Hans Zimmer &
              James Newton Howard - Batman Begins, John Williams - Star Wars:
              Revenge of the Sith

              > Mixes: lots from Hybridized (esp. the new sets from DW and Noel
              Sanger), The Crystal Method - Community Service II, UNKLE - Edit
              Music for a Film, and of course, Cumulus (f'ing brilliant, James)

              > Tracks: Joel Armstrong - "Serenity", many more
              >
              > Remixes: the Hybrid bootleg mix collection, the Proton Remix
              contest of Deepsky's "Deep in the Moment"

              > Event: Hybrid at Ice in Houston, Dave Matthews Band in Selma, TX
              >
              > Looking forward to: everything Hybrid (LP3, RAAPB2, Catacombs),
              NuBreed Y4K, and much more

              > *and a new category I came up with* :-)
              > Anything that was released before this year, but you discovered
              THIS year: Kirsty Hawkshaw - O<U>T, Evil Nine - You Can Be Special
              Too

              > Tag
              >

              > --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "James C Warren" <james@w...>
              wrote:
              > It's the start of December and it got me thinking about favourite
              albums, tracks, mixes, remixes and events of the year. I'll start
              the ball rolling.

              > Albums: Imogen Heap - Speak for Yourself, Bloc Party - Silent
              Alarm, M83 - Before the Dawn Heals Us, Royksopp - The Understanding,
              Depeche Mode - Playing the Angel, Underworld - LovelyBrokenThing

              > Mixes: Loads and loads from Hybridized :) but I also enjoyed the
              Renaissance Therapy Sessions (Vol 2), Y4K series, Layered Sounds
              series, Sasha - Fundacion, stuff from Face (Mixdepot), and entries
              from the BijouBreaks competition.

              > Tracks: Too many to mention but anything I've used means I love
              it. Really dig Andrew Kelly's stuff in particular 'A Downside to
              Belonging'. Also Bloc Party - The Pioneers (M83 Remix)

              > Remixes: Again, too many to mention but I really enjoyed Sasha
              remixes of DM - Precious and Faithless - Insomnia.

              > Event: Faithless at Brixton (last night!); Feeder (Brixton);
              missing U2 in the summer :( (boo!, in hospital).

              > Looking forward to: (apart from the obvious ;) Underworld's new
              album and UK tour (they're also starting to push some boundaries
              with internet marketing which is good to see); Andy Page album;
              Andrew Kelly stuff. New Marillion stuff (always pushing internet and
              marketing boundaries).

            • Harkin, Andy
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 5, 2005
                Albums:
                Ali B's Y4K and General Midi - Midi Style are my favourites from Distinctive, though most releases have been excellent. Other albums which tend to stay near the player are Dreadzone - Once upon a time, Turn Brakes - JackInABox, both due to excellent gigs I attended.

                Mixes:
                Oh my - so many :) James Warren's mixes have brought a huge amount of enjoyment.
                http://www.theyoungpunx.com/ - Some fun mixes on here
                Also, the Elite Force Strongarm Sessions - http://www.strongarmsessions.co.uk/
                James Zabiela's offerings http://homepage.mac.com/jameszabiela/FOUR.2/FileSharing25.html for DJ Mag comp,
                This http://www.bangingtunes.com/forum/topic/t27543/ Hard House thingy which most of you will probably hate ;)
                Neil Quigley, who has been John Digweed's warm-up DJ for the last Bedrock parties http://www.neilquigley.com/
                Re-discovered Ali Line - OPM - http://www.mixdepot.net/MarblesDJs/AliLineOPM

                Events:
                Loads of parties, I go out nearly every weekend, but the best fun has been had at these.

                Glade - Wow! Utterly awesome. (Apart from the thieving scumbags)
                Big Chill - WowWow! (as above)
                Dreadzone in Oxford
                Faithless in Brixton last Wed
                Every Chew the Fat - THE best breaks party :)
                SEOne III in May - honoured to be asked to run the breaks room.
                Eargasm a couple of months ago. (Anyone up for it this coming Friday?)
                ChiChime and Nano records in Stratford