Re: [Hybrid] Re: MySpace accounts, fan clubs, etc...

  • ali portilla
    Message 1 of 41 , Aug 2, 2005
      I do not expect a well known artist to personally reply to my emails. But when it comes to Myspace, if you see a famous band on there then it is letting us fans know that if they have the time to set up an account there and be involved in the trendy thing then that means they would have time to personally reply to emails. It is basically leading us on for nothing.
      I think the only people who this does not affect or bother are those who are actual friends with the moderators and who personally know them. I am speaking on behalf of myself and of fans who are not friends with the moderators. It is just false representation when it is not cleary stated on the profile that it is a moderator.

      Alan Duval <propellerheadcase@...> wrote:
      Really the whole argument is just an extension of what was the case
      with fan clubs and signed photos...

      No-one really expects any given artist to run their own fan club, in
      fact doing so would be seen as somewhat ingenuous by most. So why do
      we expect that the artist will be directly involved with MySpace or
      any other on-line fan interaction which is just an extension of the
      fan club concept?

      Because it's easier?

      It's also easier for the 'fans'. So whilst it's "easier" at the
      functional level the volumes make it harder, sometimes much harder.

      An authorised moderator with more direct access to the artist in
      question is a great intermediate step, but with no way to verify
      whether the moderator is authorised (with a verifiable trustmark or
      similar), anyone with a bit of sense should treat MySpace accounts,
      especially (because they are so easy to set up), with a healthy dose
      of scepticism. Apart from anything else smaller artists are less
      likely to be able to afford the legal bills involved in
      getting 'cease and desist' orders for misuse of their names.

      There is of course a middle-ground that Jason 'EvilAlivE' Dunne
      didn't mention and that is the unauthorised moderator/genuine fan -
      which is how this list started out, as I understand it. Ally's
      direct relationship with Hybrid and Distinct'ive has grown out of her
      respectful creation/moderation of this list. That said she never
      pretended to be Mike (which is as well coz she's nowhere near tall
      enough;).

      As with any web-based interaction, short of having a web-cam link
      with [insert personality's name here]...
      1) anything that claims to be run by the artist is probably a lie
      2) anything that states that they aren't run by the artist but is a
      fan-facilitated interface is the truth, and
      3) anything that purports to be authorised by [insert personality's
      name here] should be treated with scepticism (no offence to Ms Pfaff)

      On a related note, and in a related forum, on NuBreaks the fans are
      the predominant posters, even the most active member who is also an
      artist, generally posts less.

      To wrap up:

      You are impressed by a person's work, but you get bent out of shape
      when it turns out that they aren't going to drop what they're doing
      and answer your email? Smacks of egotism to me.

    • chrismix50
      Message 41 of 41 , Aug 5, 2005
        Those other two were pretty good too! I liked Loser the best out of
        the two. Has a nice little jazz element thrown into it. I kinda found
        Money Money to be a bit more bland though (no offense really). It just
        seems like a song that I've heard before, probably the whole "money
        makes you a slave" part. Or perhaps I just can't get my mind off Billy
        Idol...anyways...

        Just my two cents but that track would be a little better if it was
        less structured, especially the bassline. But don't think I'm
        insulting it, it still wasn't bad.

        I Have You has definatly grown on me though :p I keep going back to
        listen to it. Hurry up and get a label so I can have a copy at home :p