Re: OT : Lennon (was "taking off")

  • Alan Duval
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 7, 2005
      --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, GAmoore@a... wrote:
      I always thought Imagine was a boring song with mundane lyrics. I
      appreciate the general sentiment of "imagine no... (blank)" but it
      doesn't really go any deeper than that.

      AD> I dunno, after the flak that Lennon copped for the 'Bigger than
      Jesus' comment I think going on to say "...and no religion, too" was
      pretty ballsy.

      I rather think that the lyrics to Imagine are pretty subversive and
      only escaped any real scrutiny because of the candy-coated balladeer
      style in which it was presented.

      --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, GAmoore@a... wrote:
      Lennon wrote many better songs when he was with the Beatles. "Across
      the Universe" is great and under-appreciated. "Strawberry Fields" -
      which it actually better in demo form on the anthology cd's.
      Even "Help". "Its Only Love". Even "Real Love". "With a Little Help
      from My Friends" ... I am sure there are more I can't think of off
      the top of my head.

      As for profoundness... the "Revolution" song was amazing in its
      time ... when students were burning down the banks, and demonstrating
      at every university in the US, and the Doors and Jefferson Airplane
      were singing about Revolution...here was Lennon saying he wanted no
      part of the violent side. Its easy to be a man of peace when it makes
      you look cool, but its ballsy to say it to an angry mob.

      AD> Always been quite a fan of 'We Can Work It Out' and 'Come
      Together', mice elf.