OT : Lennon (was "taking off")

  • GAmoore@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4, 2005
      > As for Lennon, well, I'd put 'Imagine' up against pretty much
      > anything the Beatles did as a whole in that basic style - 'Yesterday'
      > may be more frequently performed/covered, 'Hey, Jude' may get more
      > radio play, but 'Imagine' is a better song than both, IMHO.

      I always thought Imagine was a boring song with mundane lyrics. I appreciate
      the general sentiment of "imagine no... (blank)" but it doesn't really go any
      deeper than that.

      Lennon wrote many better songs when he was with the Beatles. "Across the
      Universe" is great and under-appreciated. "Strawberry Fields" - which it actually
      better in demo form on the anthology cd's. Even "Help". "Its Only Love". Even
      "Real Love". "With a Little Help from My Friends" ... I am sure there are more
      I can't think of off the top of my head.

      As for profoundness... the "Revolution" song was amazing in its time ... when
      students were burning down the banks, and demonstrating at every university
      in the US, and the Doors and Jefferson Airplane were singing about
      Revolution...here was Lennon saying he wanted no part of the violent side. Its easy to be
      a man of peace when it makes you look cool, but its ballsy to say it to an
      angry mob.
    • Alan Duval
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 7, 2005
        --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, GAmoore@a... wrote:
        I always thought Imagine was a boring song with mundane lyrics. I
        appreciate the general sentiment of "imagine no... (blank)" but it
        doesn't really go any deeper than that.

        AD> I dunno, after the flak that Lennon copped for the 'Bigger than
        Jesus' comment I think going on to say "...and no religion, too" was
        pretty ballsy.

        I rather think that the lyrics to Imagine are pretty subversive and
        only escaped any real scrutiny because of the candy-coated balladeer
        style in which it was presented.

        --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, GAmoore@a... wrote:
        Lennon wrote many better songs when he was with the Beatles. "Across
        the Universe" is great and under-appreciated. "Strawberry Fields" -
        which it actually better in demo form on the anthology cd's.
        Even "Help". "Its Only Love". Even "Real Love". "With a Little Help
        from My Friends" ... I am sure there are more I can't think of off
        the top of my head.

        As for profoundness... the "Revolution" song was amazing in its
        time ... when students were burning down the banks, and demonstrating
        at every university in the US, and the Doors and Jefferson Airplane
        were singing about Revolution...here was Lennon saying he wanted no
        part of the violent side. Its easy to be a man of peace when it makes
        you look cool, but its ballsy to say it to an angry mob.

        AD> Always been quite a fan of 'We Can Work It Out' and 'Come
        Together', mice elf.