Grieg

  • GAmoore@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2005
      Is it common knowledge that one Hybrid's tracks is a virtual clone of a
      classical piece of music? Its the last track ... I forgot the name they gave it...
      but its Edvard Grieg's "Ase's Death" from Peer Gynt (which includes the more
      famous "In the Hall of the Mountain King"). They did sort of a Tomita thing
      -but didn't credit the actual composer from what I could see.
    • nickbower2000
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2005
        'Symphony'/'Finished Symphony' uses Henryk Gorecki's Symphony No. 3
        "Symphony of Sorrowful Songs" as inspiration, penned in the early
        1970's. Listen and you'll hear the similarities. Both are truly
        beautiful pieces of material in my opinion.

        :)

        Nick

      • ally @ hybrid-group.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2005
          Yes...it's a little surreal listening to Gorecki's Symphony!

          Ally

        • ally @ hybrid-group.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2005
            Which Hybrid track do you mean?

            It sounds familiar....but I think I've played it in a few
            orchestras...so it could just be that.

            Ally

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 4, 2005
              > I'm pretty sure that the lads have stated that '(...) Symphony' was a
              > re-interpretation of a piece by Grieg

              Thats good. Its annoying when people steal from the classics. However, that
              re-interpretation is closer to the original than George Harrison's My Sweet
              Lord was to "He's So Fine" which he had to pay on copyright infringement. Have
              you every noticed how that one Oasis song... i think its Columbia or another on
              that album - but the melody is almost identical to the coke song "I'd like to
              buy the world a coke, and sing in harmony..."
            • GAmoore@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 4, 2005
                > Which Hybrid track do you mean?
                >
                > It sounds familiar....but I think I've played it in a few
                > orchestras...so it could just be that.

                I don't have it in front of me, but I think its the last track on Wider
                Angle. Its from Grieg's Peer Gynt.
                It like three long notes - dah dah dahhhhhh, (repeats) ... Hybrid added some
                synths and jazzed it up but it goes through all the same harmony and melodic
                changes.

                Thats fine. Tomita made an entire career out of doing that - releasing half a
                dozen or so albums of classical music interpreted on synths. He endorses
                Arturia's Moog Modular virtual synth by the way (in the past year or two).
              • Alan Duval
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 7, 2005
                  And isn't THAT a Carpenters song? Actually no, worse, The New
                  Seekers!:-o

                  Then again, apparently Nick Warren was notorious for dropping a
                  particular Carpenters tune over a breakbeat in his early days.

                  --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, GAmoore@a... wrote:
                  Have you ever noticed how that one Oasis song... i think its Columbia
                  or another on that album - but the melody is almost identical to the
                  coke song "I'd like to buy the world a coke, and sing in harmony..."
                • Chris Baugher
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 7, 2005
                    On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 GAmoore@... wrote:

                    > I don't have it in front of me, but I think its the last track on Wider
                    > Angle. Its from Grieg's Peer Gynt.
                    > It like three long notes - dah dah dahhhhhh, (repeats) ... Hybrid added some
                    > synths and jazzed it up but it goes through all the same harmony and melodic
                    > changes.

                    It's probably "Finished Symphony", the second to last song.

                    Wait, no. It's "Altitude [Red Square Reprise]". I just listened to a bit
                    of Ase's Death and it's the same melody, such as it is.
                    Interesting but not surprising. In fact it's very much in keeping with
                    the tradition of electronic music of reusing existing material to make
                    something new and different.