RE: [Hybrid] OT: ET (Re: 'taking off')

  • Chris Baugher
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 2, 2005
      On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, James Warren wrote:

      > 'Moment of Truth' certainly isn't great, but bear in mind it came out in
      > 1993, so it was certainly in line with some of the other stuff coming out at
      > that time.

      Right. In fact I think the entire 80's decade was all cheese. It tried
      to spill over into the 90's but we got over it.

      > In fact, 'Loving you More' came out 2 years later and you can see a
      > progression.
      >
      > James
    • Alan Duval
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 4, 2005
        So true! Blame Giorgio Moroder and Francois Kevorkian.

        --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, Chris Baugher <cbaugher_yahoo@b...>
        wrote:

        You know it's kinda funny that much of this electronic music we hold
        so dear is derived from Disco. Which by todays standards is all
        cheesy!
      • Alan Duval
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 4, 2005
          Naww, 'Pump up the Volume', Paid in Full', and 'Beat Dis' all came
          out in the late 80s.

          wrote:
          Right. In fact I think the entire 80's decade was all cheese. It
          tried to spill over into the 90's but we got over it.
        • Thomas Touzimsky
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 4, 2005
            > Naww, 'Pump up the Volume', Paid in Full', and 'Beat Dis' all came
            > out in the late 80s.

            As well as the KLF's original version of 'What Time Is Love?'...

            ..::// Thomas Touzimsky

            A best man's speech should be like a mini-skirt; short enough to be
            interesting, but long enough to cover the bare essentials. (Unknown)
          • renegadesoundwaves
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 13, 2005
              Ah yes Giorgio Moroder. When he hooked up with Sigue Sigue Sputnik
              and produced their Flaunt It Album in 1984 this was the beginning of
              top-notch slickly produced electronic music. The mixing of the album
              and 12" singles was really the first time any group performed with
              an emphasis on heavy sampling, multi-media and electronic-dance
              beats that are now par for the course in the songs we hear today.
              Songs like Love Missle F1-11 (ranked #3 in UK's Top 40), Atari Baby,
              Sex-Bomb Boogie, 21st Century Boy, etc.. still sounds progressive as
              if they were released just last year not 1985. Also, many people
              don't know this but there was a third album, a 2 record set due in
              stores in early 1989 just 6 months after the release of their second
              album - Dress for Success. I was fortunate enough to come across a
              Test Pressing of the album and was left very impressed with its
              overall layered electronic mixed soundscapes. Yes indeed it was very
              creative, years ahead of its time. But due to lackluster sales of
              the 2nd album, EMI pulled the plug on Sigue Sigue Sputnik, and this
              double album was never released.

              --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Duval"