RE: [Hybrid] OT: ET (Re: 'taking off')

  • dcraig@nmt.edu
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 2, 2005

      > 'Moment of Truth' certainly isn't great, but bear in mind it came out in
      > 1993, so it was certainly in line with some of the other stuff coming out
      > at
      > that time.
      >
      > In fact, 'Loving you More' came out 2 years later and you can see a
      > progression.
      >
      > James

      Regardless of the stylistic change or advance in production techniques,
      it's still a corny song with cheeseball lyrics.

      Dab
    • Chris Baugher
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 2, 2005
        On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 dcraig@... wrote:

        > Everyone talks about how brilliant and wonderful IMA and ESCM were, but
        > have you forgotten about Loving You More?

        Nope. I love ESCM, but IMA was never one of my favorites. And I don't
        care much for that song either.

        > That's not exactly what I would
        > describe as brilliant lyrical content, and the rest of it is pretty damn
        > cheeseball as well.

        That was always my impression of IMA, a typical first album. Lots of good
        stuff but a little cheesy and not as rich as ESCM.

        > Behind Moment of Truth it sounds genious but it's
        > still not really a pinnacle of his accomplishments, and serves as a
        > reminder that BT has always had a foot in the cheese camp.

        You know it's kinda funny that much of this electronic music we hold so
        dear is derived from Disco. Which by todays standards is all cheesy!

        Ah well, even the cheesiest songs are still fun to listen to on
        occasion.

      • Chris Baugher
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 2, 2005
          On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, James Warren wrote:

          > 'Moment of Truth' certainly isn't great, but bear in mind it came out in
          > 1993, so it was certainly in line with some of the other stuff coming out at
          > that time.

          Right. In fact I think the entire 80's decade was all cheese. It tried
          to spill over into the 90's but we got over it.

          > In fact, 'Loving you More' came out 2 years later and you can see a
          > progression.
          >
          > James
        • Alan Duval

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 4, 2005
              Naww, 'Pump up the Volume', Paid in Full', and 'Beat Dis' all came
              out in the late 80s.

              wrote:
              Right. In fact I think the entire 80's decade was all cheese. It
              tried to spill over into the 90's but we got over it.
            • Thomas Touzimsky
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 4, 2005
                > Naww, 'Pump up the Volume', Paid in Full', and 'Beat Dis' all came
                > out in the late 80s.

                As well as the KLF's original version of 'What Time Is Love?'...

                ..::// Thomas Touzimsky

                A best man's speech should be like a mini-skirt; short enough to be
                interesting, but long enough to cover the bare essentials. (Unknown)
              • renegadesoundwaves
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 13, 2005
                  Ah yes Giorgio Moroder. When he hooked up with Sigue Sigue Sputnik
                  and produced their Flaunt It Album in 1984 this was the beginning of
                  top-notch slickly produced electronic music. The mixing of the album
                  and 12" singles was really the first time any group performed with
                  an emphasis on heavy sampling, multi-media and electronic-dance
                  beats that are now par for the course in the songs we hear today.
                  Songs like Love Missle F1-11 (ranked #3 in UK's Top 40), Atari Baby,
                  Sex-Bomb Boogie, 21st Century Boy, etc.. still sounds progressive as
                  if they were released just last year not 1985. Also, many people
                  don't know this but there was a third album, a 2 record set due in
                  stores in early 1989 just 6 months after the release of their second
                  album - Dress for Success. I was fortunate enough to come across a
                  Test Pressing of the album and was left very impressed with its
                  overall layered electronic mixed soundscapes. Yes indeed it was very
                  creative, years ahead of its time. But due to lackluster sales of
                  the 2nd album, EMI pulled the plug on Sigue Sigue Sputnik, and this
                  double album was never released.

                  --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Duval"