RE: [Hybrid] OT: ET (Re: 'taking off')

  • James Warren
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 2, 2005
      'Moment of Truth' certainly isn't great, but bear in mind it came out in
      1993, so it was certainly in line with some of the other stuff coming out at
      that time.

      In fact, 'Loving you More' came out 2 years later and you can see a
      progression.

      James

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 2, 2005

        > 'Moment of Truth' certainly isn't great, but bear in mind it came out in
        > 1993, so it was certainly in line with some of the other stuff coming out
        > at
        > that time.
        >
        > In fact, 'Loving you More' came out 2 years later and you can see a
        > progression.
        >
        > James

        Regardless of the stylistic change or advance in production techniques,
        it's still a corny song with cheeseball lyrics.

        Dab
      • Chris Baugher
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 2, 2005
          On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 dcraig@... wrote:

          > Everyone talks about how brilliant and wonderful IMA and ESCM were, but
          > have you forgotten about Loving You More?

          Nope. I love ESCM, but IMA was never one of my favorites. And I don't
          care much for that song either.

          > That's not exactly what I would
          > describe as brilliant lyrical content, and the rest of it is pretty damn
          > cheeseball as well.

          That was always my impression of IMA, a typical first album. Lots of good
          stuff but a little cheesy and not as rich as ESCM.

          > Behind Moment of Truth it sounds genious but it's
          > still not really a pinnacle of his accomplishments, and serves as a
          > reminder that BT has always had a foot in the cheese camp.

          You know it's kinda funny that much of this electronic music we hold so
          dear is derived from Disco. Which by todays standards is all cheesy!

          Ah well, even the cheesiest songs are still fun to listen to on
          occasion.

        • Chris Baugher
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 2, 2005
            On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, James Warren wrote:

            > 'Moment of Truth' certainly isn't great, but bear in mind it came out in
            > 1993, so it was certainly in line with some of the other stuff coming out at
            > that time.

            Right. In fact I think the entire 80's decade was all cheese. It tried
            to spill over into the 90's but we got over it.

            > In fact, 'Loving you More' came out 2 years later and you can see a
            > progression.
            >
            > James
          • Alan Duval

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 4, 2005
                Naww, 'Pump up the Volume', Paid in Full', and 'Beat Dis' all came
                out in the late 80s.

                wrote:
                Right. In fact I think the entire 80's decade was all cheese. It
                tried to spill over into the 90's but we got over it.
              • Thomas Touzimsky
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 4, 2005
                  > Naww, 'Pump up the Volume', Paid in Full', and 'Beat Dis' all came
                  > out in the late 80s.

                  As well as the KLF's original version of 'What Time Is Love?'...

                  ..::// Thomas Touzimsky

                  A best man's speech should be like a mini-skirt; short enough to be
                  interesting, but long enough to cover the bare essentials. (Unknown)
                • renegadesoundwaves
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 13, 2005
                    Ah yes Giorgio Moroder. When he hooked up with Sigue Sigue Sputnik
                    and produced their Flaunt It Album in 1984 this was the beginning of
                    top-notch slickly produced electronic music. The mixing of the album
                    and 12" singles was really the first time any group performed with
                    an emphasis on heavy sampling, multi-media and electronic-dance
                    beats that are now par for the course in the songs we hear today.
                    Songs like Love Missle F1-11 (ranked #3 in UK's Top 40), Atari Baby,
                    Sex-Bomb Boogie, 21st Century Boy, etc.. still sounds progressive as
                    if they were released just last year not 1985. Also, many people
                    don't know this but there was a third album, a 2 record set due in
                    stores in early 1989 just 6 months after the release of their second
                    album - Dress for Success. I was fortunate enough to come across a
                    Test Pressing of the album and was left very impressed with its
                    overall layered electronic mixed soundscapes. Yes indeed it was very
                    creative, years ahead of its time. But due to lackluster sales of
                    the 2nd album, EMI pulled the plug on Sigue Sigue Sputnik, and this
                    double album was never released.

                    --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Duval"