[Hybrid] Re: probably not new - a hybrid interview

  • Ben Abrams
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1 7:18 AM
      If they could pull off the Wide Angle tastiness on the third album
      then I think there would be a lot of happy people on this forum...
      however, the longer time goes on, the more I am convinced that Wide
      Angle will never be surpassed. It really was one of those one off
      albums, in which over time about 8 or 9 of the tracks have been my
      favourite at some point. How can you beat the run from Opening
      Credits through to Theme from Wide Angle... awesome... and then you
      realise that Finished Symphony is yet to come!! Add to that the
      bonus CD with Accelerator, the live set, Kill City (I love the dirty
      bassline breakdown a couple of minutes in) and Kid 2000.
      Breathtaking (and I'm saying this 5 years (and about 200 listens)
      after buying the album.

      I think everybody appreciated the energy, the melodics, the
      atmospherics and the breaks of Wide Angle but I'm not sure we will
      ever get that combination from the boys again. After sifting
      patiently through a number of recent interviews (including the one
      you posted Antti) I think Hybrids future endeavours will be a lot
      slower paced and dirtier and not the fast paced, breaky style of Wide
      Angle.

      I have to admit I'm not sure about the punkier sound they say they
      are bringing to the third album (but I'll reserve judgement until I
      have given the album a chance) but I am happier that the strings are
      going to be pushed further forward as I think they were a touch
      underused on MSF. The collabs that the boys mention in various
      interviews suggests to me that the new album will draw a lot of
      influence from soundtracks, suggesting to me that a more thoughtful,
      slower paced style is in the offing.

      I think if we are hoping for a modern Wide Angle rehash for the new
      album (which I think none of us expects but might secretly want in
      some ways)then I think we will be disappointed. The best we can hope
      for on this front are the boys remixes which seem to have remained
      similar in style for some time now. Having said this I have n't
      heard The Doves or Radiohead remixes but the UNKLE - Glow remix
      reminded me very much of Hybrid from the Wide Angle days.

      *Pauses for a very deep breath*

      > > a choir for a similar effect on the new album then I am all for
      it!
      > > And I certainly think there is nothing wrong with using choirs on
      > > artist albums.. as long as they are used for the right reasons
      (not
      > > just plonk a choir over the top of a song that does n't suit just
      > > because you wanted to include a choir section on the album
      >
      > Agree with you on these. It's just that they need to pull off the
      Wide Angle
      > tastiness on the third album and it can all be justified - even the
      use of
      > some Asian choir and 100 person orchestra.
      >
      > -antti
      >
      > > a choir for a similar effect on the new album then I am all for
      it!
      > > And I certainly think there is nothing wrong with using choirs on
      > > artist albums.. as long as they are used for the right reasons
      (not
      > > just plonk a choir over the top of a song that does n't suit just
      > > because you wanted to include a choir section on the album
      >
      > Agree with you on these. It's just that they need to pull off the
      Wide Angle
      > tastiness on the third album and it can all be justified - even the
      use of
      > some Asian choir and 100 person orchestra.
      >
      > -antti
    • Antti Mutta
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1 10:47 AM
        > I have to admit I'm not sure about the punkier sound they say they
        > are bringing to the third album (but I'll reserve judgement until I
        > have given the album a chance) but I am happier that the strings are

        I hope punkier sound doesn't mean a lot of collaborations with vocalists and
        other artists. In general these are a bad move, regardless of the music
        genre (hiphop to rock etc). Well, we'll see...

        > underused on MSF. The collabs that the boys mention in various
        > interviews suggests to me that the new album will draw a lot of
        > influence from soundtracks, suggesting to me that a more thoughtful,
        > slower paced style is in the offing.

        I seriously hope they're drawing from real classic music composers instead
        of these adrenalin-fueled action romp soundtracks that Gregson-Williams
        does. That's just me though, because many people love to listen to action
        movie soundtracks.

        > I think if we are hoping for a modern Wide Angle rehash for the new
        > album (which I think none of us expects but might secretly want in
        > some ways)then I think we will be disappointed. The best we can hope

        I am personally hoping for an inspired album. The techniques don't matter,
        the spirit does. Wide Angle worked both ways, sans a few tracks, but Morning
        Sci-Fi was too streamlined and odorless.... Well, I've said this a thousand
        times.. Just hoping Hybrid will experiment more on their own. Even the Hook
        collab was not needed! They can stand on their own easily!

        -antti
      • Ben Abrams
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2 6:45 AM
          I think I remember an interview from about 6 months (could have been
          in resident advisor) with Chris and he said we should expect a few
          collaborations with rock artists for the new album. I dont know if
          this is still the plan but I have to agree that they are not always
          the best move. I dont want to keep coming back to BT but in my
          opinion they did n't do too much for MISL and I certainly hope we
          dont get an album as fragmented as that particular outing

          --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Antti Mutta" <antti.mutta@s...>

        • CPfaff17@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 3 2:24 PM
            i know perry farrell is one of them. and he rocks!