Re: [Hybrid] Re: probably not new - a hybrid interview

  • Antti Mutta
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
      > Hmmm... cheesy orchestral sampling? Cant say I agree with that... I
      > think Sacha Puttnam and the boys did a fantastic job scoring the
      > orchestral layers. IN MY OPINION (no disclaimer needed)

      I am not saying there's something wrong with Puttnam's work or the
      orchestral score per se, but it could SO easily get out of hands, which is
      of course one of the reasons to stand in awe of the stuff Hybrid does.
      Classical music is one of the easiest things to sample and use in your music
      because it's so clean, but it's hard to pull it off without sounding like
      Ferry Corsten and Barber's Adagio.

      > I thought the choir on Marrakech sounded particularly good and
      > created a real tension within the song. If they are planning to use

      Marrakech would sound awfully good in a thriller or action movie. In my
      opinion however, it sounds totally dull and boring as it is - without the
      visual output. Yeah, I should probably be imaginitive enough to come up with
      that myself, but what can you do :) The choir does work there, yes, but not
      as a track that's aimed for home listening purposes. Put Will Smith play
      hide and seek from the government on a bazar somewhere Middle-East and I'd
      eat it up.

      > a choir for a similar effect on the new album then I am all for it!
      > And I certainly think there is nothing wrong with using choirs on
      > artist albums.. as long as they are used for the right reasons (not
      > just plonk a choir over the top of a song that does n't suit just
      > because you wanted to include a choir section on the album

      Agree with you on these. It's just that they need to pull off the Wide Angle
      tastiness on the third album and it can all be justified - even the use of
      some Asian choir and 100 person orchestra.

      -antti
    • Ben Abrams
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
        If they could pull off the Wide Angle tastiness on the third album
        then I think there would be a lot of happy people on this forum...
        however, the longer time goes on, the more I am convinced that Wide
        Angle will never be surpassed. It really was one of those one off
        albums, in which over time about 8 or 9 of the tracks have been my
        favourite at some point. How can you beat the run from Opening
        Credits through to Theme from Wide Angle... awesome... and then you
        realise that Finished Symphony is yet to come!! Add to that the
        bonus CD with Accelerator, the live set, Kill City (I love the dirty
        bassline breakdown a couple of minutes in) and Kid 2000.
        Breathtaking (and I'm saying this 5 years (and about 200 listens)
        after buying the album.

        I think everybody appreciated the energy, the melodics, the
        atmospherics and the breaks of Wide Angle but I'm not sure we will
        ever get that combination from the boys again. After sifting
        patiently through a number of recent interviews (including the one
        you posted Antti) I think Hybrids future endeavours will be a lot
        slower paced and dirtier and not the fast paced, breaky style of Wide
        Angle.

        I have to admit I'm not sure about the punkier sound they say they
        are bringing to the third album (but I'll reserve judgement until I
        have given the album a chance) but I am happier that the strings are
        going to be pushed further forward as I think they were a touch
        underused on MSF. The collabs that the boys mention in various
        interviews suggests to me that the new album will draw a lot of
        influence from soundtracks, suggesting to me that a more thoughtful,
        slower paced style is in the offing.

        I think if we are hoping for a modern Wide Angle rehash for the new
        album (which I think none of us expects but might secretly want in
        some ways)then I think we will be disappointed. The best we can hope
        for on this front are the boys remixes which seem to have remained
        similar in style for some time now. Having said this I have n't
        heard The Doves or Radiohead remixes but the UNKLE - Glow remix
        reminded me very much of Hybrid from the Wide Angle days.

        *Pauses for a very deep breath*

        > > a choir for a similar effect on the new album then I am all for
        it!
        > > And I certainly think there is nothing wrong with using choirs on
        > > artist albums.. as long as they are used for the right reasons
        (not
        > > just plonk a choir over the top of a song that does n't suit just
        > > because you wanted to include a choir section on the album
        >
        > Agree with you on these. It's just that they need to pull off the
        Wide Angle
        > tastiness on the third album and it can all be justified - even the
        use of
        > some Asian choir and 100 person orchestra.
        >
        > -antti
        >
        > > a choir for a similar effect on the new album then I am all for
        it!
        > > And I certainly think there is nothing wrong with using choirs on
        > > artist albums.. as long as they are used for the right reasons
        (not
        > > just plonk a choir over the top of a song that does n't suit just
        > > because you wanted to include a choir section on the album
        >
        > Agree with you on these. It's just that they need to pull off the
        Wide Angle
        > tastiness on the third album and it can all be justified - even the
        use of
        > some Asian choir and 100 person orchestra.
        >
        > -antti
      • Antti Mutta
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
          > I have to admit I'm not sure about the punkier sound they say they
          > are bringing to the third album (but I'll reserve judgement until I
          > have given the album a chance) but I am happier that the strings are

          I hope punkier sound doesn't mean a lot of collaborations with vocalists and
          other artists. In general these are a bad move, regardless of the music
          genre (hiphop to rock etc). Well, we'll see...

          > underused on MSF. The collabs that the boys mention in various
          > interviews suggests to me that the new album will draw a lot of
          > influence from soundtracks, suggesting to me that a more thoughtful,
          > slower paced style is in the offing.

          I seriously hope they're drawing from real classic music composers instead
          of these adrenalin-fueled action romp soundtracks that Gregson-Williams
          does. That's just me though, because many people love to listen to action
          movie soundtracks.

          > I think if we are hoping for a modern Wide Angle rehash for the new
          > album (which I think none of us expects but might secretly want in
          > some ways)then I think we will be disappointed. The best we can hope

          I am personally hoping for an inspired album. The techniques don't matter,
          the spirit does. Wide Angle worked both ways, sans a few tracks, but Morning
          Sci-Fi was too streamlined and odorless.... Well, I've said this a thousand
          times.. Just hoping Hybrid will experiment more on their own. Even the Hook
          collab was not needed! They can stand on their own easily!

          -antti
        • Ben Abrams
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2005
            I think I remember an interview from about 6 months (could have been
            in resident advisor) with Chris and he said we should expect a few
            collaborations with rock artists for the new album. I dont know if
            this is still the plan but I have to agree that they are not always
            the best move. I dont want to keep coming back to BT but in my
            opinion they did n't do too much for MISL and I certainly hope we
            dont get an album as fragmented as that particular outing

            --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Antti Mutta" <antti.mutta@s...>

          • CPfaff17@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 3, 2005
              i know perry farrell is one of them. and he rocks!