Re: [Hybrid] OT: ET (Re: 'taking off')

  • Antti Mutta
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
      In essence I think BT gets too tangled with his incredible production
      talents. It all sounds really good soundwise, but often too hollow. And this
      applies to his poptastic tracks as well. There's good pop and then there's
      made pop, which sounds sort of what it's supposed to but lacks the spirit.
      Yeah, I guess I am striving for the word 'plastic' with BT's recent style.
      No disrespect to his talents as a musician, technician and producer, but
      these three and inspired songwriting don't go necessarily hand in hand.

      Still, totally loving IMA and ESCM. Flaming June was one jaw dropping moment
      for me back in the day.. Where did the awesome hooks go? Oh, and Flaming
      June's video was nice, too. BT and Sasha did some cool stuff together back
      then.. Like, the best remixes of Madonna's Ray of Light album....

      -antti

      > Naw, I put "Circles" and "Animals" below. Can't stand those. I don't
      > remember what I said, but at any rate I didn't intend to imply that I
      liked
      > them.
      >
      > And it's not the poppiness I mind. It's that he can't seem to really
      deploy
      > the poppiness without seeming cheesy, overwrought, or egotistical.
      Except,
      > like I said, on "Superfabulous" and "Somnambulist" ;-)
      >
      > Full disclosure: I hadn't heard "The Moment Of Truth" (the radio version
      on
      > 10 Years...) until the other day, and I almost died laughing. Now
      _that's_
      > poppy.
      >
      > G3K

    • Chris Baugher
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
        On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, G3K wrote:

        > Full disclosure: I hadn't heard "The Moment Of Truth" (the radio version on
        > 10 Years...) until the other day, and I almost died laughing. Now _that's_
        > poppy.

        LOL! I remember when I bought this disc and first put it in the player.
        My first thought was, "When did BT start remixing bad disco tunes?"
        Seriously I almost thought it was a parody.
        It took a long time but I eventually warmed up to the rest of the album.
        Now I like it. But that song is so cheesy it still makes me laugh.

      • dcraig@nmt.edu
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
          Everyone talks about how brilliant and wonderful IMA and ESCM were, but
          have you forgotten about Loving You More? That's not exactly what I would
          describe as brilliant lyrical content, and the rest of it is pretty damn
          cheeseball as well. Behind Moment of Truth it sounds genious but it's
          still not really a pinnacle of his accomplishments, and serves as a
          reminder that BT has always had a foot in the cheese camp.

          Dan

          > LOL! I remember when I bought this disc and first put it in the player.
          > My first thought was, "When did BT start remixing bad disco tunes?"
          > Seriously I almost thought it was a parody.
          > It took a long time but I eventually warmed up to the rest of the album.
          > Now I like it. But that song is so cheesy it still makes me laugh.

        • James Warren
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 2, 2005
            'Moment of Truth' certainly isn't great, but bear in mind it came out in
            1993, so it was certainly in line with some of the other stuff coming out at
            that time.

            In fact, 'Loving you More' came out 2 years later and you can see a
            progression.

            James

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 2, 2005

              > 'Moment of Truth' certainly isn't great, but bear in mind it came out in
              > 1993, so it was certainly in line with some of the other stuff coming out
              > at
              > that time.
              >
              > In fact, 'Loving you More' came out 2 years later and you can see a
              > progression.
              >
              > James

              Regardless of the stylistic change or advance in production techniques,
              it's still a corny song with cheeseball lyrics.

              Dab
            • Chris Baugher
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 2, 2005
                On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 dcraig@... wrote:

                > Everyone talks about how brilliant and wonderful IMA and ESCM were, but
                > have you forgotten about Loving You More?

                Nope. I love ESCM, but IMA was never one of my favorites. And I don't
                care much for that song either.

                > That's not exactly what I would
                > describe as brilliant lyrical content, and the rest of it is pretty damn
                > cheeseball as well.

                That was always my impression of IMA, a typical first album. Lots of good
                stuff but a little cheesy and not as rich as ESCM.

                > Behind Moment of Truth it sounds genious but it's
                > still not really a pinnacle of his accomplishments, and serves as a
                > reminder that BT has always had a foot in the cheese camp.

                You know it's kinda funny that much of this electronic music we hold so
                dear is derived from Disco. Which by todays standards is all cheesy!

                Ah well, even the cheesiest songs are still fun to listen to on
                occasion.

              • Chris Baugher
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 2, 2005
                  On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, James Warren wrote:

                  > 'Moment of Truth' certainly isn't great, but bear in mind it came out in
                  > 1993, so it was certainly in line with some of the other stuff coming out at
                  > that time.

                  Right. In fact I think the entire 80's decade was all cheese. It tried
                  to spill over into the 90's but we got over it.

                  > In fact, 'Loving you More' came out 2 years later and you can see a
                  > progression.
                  >
                  > James
                • Alan Duval

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 4, 2005
                      Naww, 'Pump up the Volume', Paid in Full', and 'Beat Dis' all came
                      out in the late 80s.

                      wrote:
                      Right. In fact I think the entire 80's decade was all cheese. It
                      tried to spill over into the 90's but we got over it.
                    • Thomas Touzimsky
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 4, 2005
                        > Naww, 'Pump up the Volume', Paid in Full', and 'Beat Dis' all came
                        > out in the late 80s.

                        As well as the KLF's original version of 'What Time Is Love?'...

                        ..::// Thomas Touzimsky

                        A best man's speech should be like a mini-skirt; short enough to be
                        interesting, but long enough to cover the bare essentials. (Unknown)
                      • renegadesoundwaves
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 13, 2005
                          Ah yes Giorgio Moroder. When he hooked up with Sigue Sigue Sputnik
                          and produced their Flaunt It Album in 1984 this was the beginning of
                          top-notch slickly produced electronic music. The mixing of the album
                          and 12" singles was really the first time any group performed with
                          an emphasis on heavy sampling, multi-media and electronic-dance
                          beats that are now par for the course in the songs we hear today.
                          Songs like Love Missle F1-11 (ranked #3 in UK's Top 40), Atari Baby,
                          Sex-Bomb Boogie, 21st Century Boy, etc.. still sounds progressive as
                          if they were released just last year not 1985. Also, many people
                          don't know this but there was a third album, a 2 record set due in
                          stores in early 1989 just 6 months after the release of their second
                          album - Dress for Success. I was fortunate enough to come across a
                          Test Pressing of the album and was left very impressed with its
                          overall layered electronic mixed soundscapes. Yes indeed it was very
                          creative, years ahead of its time. But due to lackluster sales of
                          the 2nd album, EMI pulled the plug on Sigue Sigue Sputnik, and this
                          double album was never released.

                          --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Duval"