BT - Hybrid

  • GAmoore@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 29, 2005
      > BT has

      On both Still Life (great but dated now) and Emotional Technology, BT put out
      8-10 actual songs - many of them very good - in addition to excellent
      (although over the top and excessive) production. I think what BT needs is a
      co-songwriter to polish up a few of tunes - some of which have great ideas but need just a little more polish from another mind.

      But which other dance artists out there is putting out good songs? (Despite
      their attempts, Oakenfold, Sasha, Tiesto have not). Hybrid does make some
      excellent stuff - but it seems maybe 2 songs per CD. Perhaps it goes back to the duality of artists producing beats versus songs, but I wish Hybrid would create more musical ideas. I have to admit that I prefer Depeche Mode's method of writing songs with great arrangements, and having remixes and alternative
      versions or mixes.

      BT has continued to innovate in interesting ways. The soundtrack for Fast and
      Furious he sampled all kinds of sounds of car parts being struck. He did some
      interesting stuff on the film Monster (and you can see a big interview with
      him in his home studio on the DVD for that movie). He has explored
      micro-tonality, and developed a realtime stutter plug.

      By the way, someone said that BT plays LA so often because he lives here (he
      moved here from the east coast where he grew up). But Sasha is doing a thing
      where he plays a NY club once a month and he plays an LA club (the avalon) once a month - as a regular gig flying back and forth.
    • Ben Abrams
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1 2:27 AM
        I think what BT needs is a
        > co-songwriter to polish up a few of tunes - some of which have
        great ideas but need just a little more polish from another mind.

        I agree. I think BT tends to over produce some of his songs and
        experiments a bit too much at times. Thats why I liked the Paul Van
        Dyk collaborations from the mid/late 90s. The PVD/BT version of
        Flaming June is my favourite mix of the song and PVDs version of
        Namistai (2nd CD of Out There and Back) is much better than the
        version on MISL.

        > Hybrid does make some
        > excellent stuff - but it seems maybe 2 songs per CD.

        Hmmm.. not sure there will be many that will agree with you on that
        one... including me. I dont think I'd like the boys work if they
        only produced two good songs an album (WA had at least 8/9 excellent
        songs and that does n't include Burnin, Kid 2000, Accelerator (remix
        I know but virtually an original production) on the bonus CD.
      • Drew Ressler
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1 2:02 PM
          The PVD/BT mix of Flaming June is the same exact one as the original (Just a bit longer, 8:36 for the BT album one and 11:08 for the
          BT/PVD one), as is the Out There And Back version of Namistai.

        • Ben Abrams
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2 6:28 AM
            Well thats not really true... the album version of Flaming June has
            the racey breakdown towards the end whereas the PVD/BT mix does n't.
            And the BT version of Namistai has an extra layer of melody over the
            synths which the PVD version does n't (trust me I have listened to
            them recently) and that is where I am trying to make my point. The
            PVD versions sound much more polished and go with what already sounds
            good rather than BT who i think trys to tinker a bit too much and can
            sometimes 'over do it' a touch. Having said that his tinkering can
            sometimes be a benefit ;-)

          • dcraig@nmt.edu
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2 8:22 AM

              > The PVD/BT mix of Flaming June is the same exact one as the original (Just
              > a bit longer, 8:36 for the BT album one and 11:08 for the
              > BT/PVD one), as is the Out There And Back version of Namistai.

              Yes they are different.

              The album version of Flaming June stops at about 6:25 and turns into a
              drum-n-bass version of the track. The BT & PvD mix has an extended bridge
              forty seconds after that point followed by an extra bit of piano a
              breakdown with extra synthwork, etc. They're different enough.

              And the MISL version of Namistai has an extra synthline, that pretty much
              plays the length of the song as is the backbone for the melody which isn't
              in the PvD version at all. Pretty much, picture PvD synths and that's
              what's mainly in his version and picture fancy produced BT synths from
              MISL and that's what his version has. They are very different sounding,
              especially played next to one another. My brother pointed out that he
              liked the PvD mix better because it apparently retained the elements he
              liked from MISL but didn't have the annoying effects BT added covering
              most of it up.

              Dan