OT: ET (Re: 'taking off')

  • G3K
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 27, 2005
      I've listened to it several times and have tried to give it many a
      second/third/fifteenth chance. I'm struck every time by how the majority of
      the album is directionless and boring. ET seems like a massive ego trip for
      this and other reasons; the intensive detail lent to the quality of the
      production seems to forsake the quality of the melodies and tracks as a
      whole.

      The handful of vaguely outstanding tracks ("Superfabulous", "Somnambulist",
      "Force of Gravity", "The Great Escape") are overshadowed by "Circles", which
      could be awesome if BT didn't sound like Bryan Adams gone Avril Lavigne, and
      "Animals", in which he channels Richard Marx on several fronts. In fact,
      the overpresence of BT's vocals makes the album suffer musically as a whole,
      as well as leading me (and many others) to believe this thing really is a
      huge ego trip after all.

      Also, the line "I've got more knowledge than you can get from the internet"
      in "Knowledge of Self" sets a BAAAAD tone for the rest of the disc :-P

      G3K
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 29, 2005
        Except that the lyrics are Guru's.

        Guru:
        a : a teacher and especially intellectual guide in matters of
        fundamental concern,
        b : one who is an acknowledged leader or chief proponent,
        c : a person with knowledge or expertise

        That kind of braggadocio is typical in rap. Then again, given that
        the following line is "I spit wisdom that I get from introspect"
        maybe it's not so typical.

        Anyway, you named 4 tracks as vaguely outstanding (what does that
        mean, BTW) and put 'Circles' and 'Animals' above even those. Six
        tracks is half the album! And the pop-ness of it all can't be your
        complaint as one of the four "vaguely outstanding" tracks
        is 'Superfabulous' - easily the poppiest track on the album.

        BT, from the outset, said that he was doing this album to please
        himself, so the cries of egotism are entirely appropriate - but you
        knew that going in.

        Anyway, enough.

      • GAmoore@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2005
          In essence I think BT gets too tangled with his incredible production
          > talents. It all sounds really good soundwise, but often too hollow. And
          > this
          > applies to his poptastic tracks as well. There's good pop and then there's
          > made pop, which sounds sort of what it's supposed to but lacks the spirit.
          > Yeah, I guess I am striving for the word 'plastic' with BT's recent style.
          > No disrespect to his talents as a musician, technician and producer, but
          > these three and inspired songwriting don't go necessarily hand in hand.

          I agree. I think its hard for any one person to get it right. Even Prince
          gets idiosynchratic and bizarre at times. And look at how Lennon and McCartney
          separately were never the equal of Lennon-McCartney. I think there need to be
          multiple heads involved to give balance. BT is very talented - but he has no
          boundaries.

          And I think thats where Hybrid's partnership somehow helps them. I don't know
          who does what internally in their collaborations but they have all the right
          pieces.
          - excellent overal production (sometimes just a bit over the top but not as
          bad as BT in that regard)
          - great beats - I think they use Native Instruments Battery - but they get a
          very punchy drum sound with a lot of great grooves (although they tend to
          sound the same in some sense - they could work on a bit more variety from track to
          track).
          - really nice filter swells
          - great musical ideas but not very many actual songs (and I am not
          particularly looking for commercial pop songs - but just coherent musical ideas. Let me
          give you an example : "If I Survive".. starts great with a wonderfully dark
          mood ... but then it doesn't seal the deal with a strong chorus, its more of a
          great fragment than a complete idea)
          - great moods and innovative sound scapes
        • Alan Duval
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 4, 2005
            Whilst I basically agree I'd have to say that Prince's idiosyncracies
            are part of his charm, as so often what he does that shouldn't work,
            does.

            As for Lennon, well, I'd put 'Imagine' up against pretty much
            anything the Beatles did as a whole in that basic style - 'Yesterday'
            may be more frequently performed/covered, 'Hey, Jude' may get more
            radio play, but 'Imagine' is a better song than both, IMHO.