Re: [Hybrid] Re: Y4k not A-OK

  • Antti Mutta
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 24, 2005
      Are you people discussing the Hybrid Y4K or some new one?

      -antti

      > I agree with ally, you need to listen to the CD in the right
      > environment. Also, I did wonder about buying it as it is them mixing,
      > but only three of the tracks are performed by Hybrid. I like their
      > music and style and thought it would be interesting to see the music
      > they thought was worth putting on a CD.
      >
      > Their own stuff is much better, but it provides some insight into
      > them, and its always good to buy some music with the name 'Hyrbid' on
      > it...
    • Chilvers, Simon
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 24, 2005
        Take the roof down???

        No Probs!

        ;P

        Si

        PS... Awesome mix... will have (probably already has had) Cd player
        longevity far longer than Morning sci-fi did in my system!

      • ally @ hybrid-group.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 24, 2005
          Old one Antti :)

          (bright yellow/green colour one)

          Ally

          > Are you people discussing the Hybrid Y4K or some new one?
          >
          > -antti
        • Antti Mutta
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 24, 2005
            I think it's completely fair to have a straight-forward opinion about
            someone's work. It's an opinion, and if someone really thinks something is
            total, utter crap, then I guess that is his/her opinion. Sure, there's
            possibilities in voicing this opinion, but as surely it's totally
            unnecessary to go and think of all the "blood, sweat & tears" or time &
            money before saying how you feel of someone's work. In a perfect world we
            all probably would check each others biographies and personal histories
            before saying anything just to remain politically correct and sure that we
            have just cause for telling how we feel, but it's hardly a perfect world.

            Bottomline: Hybrid's mix CD appears to crap to some, mindbending to others.
            Who cares how many hours and fingernails some people sacrificed for it?
            They've chosen the job because they love it. I am not going to start crying
            for Hybrid losing sweat & tears over some mix CD. I'd rather do that for
            some t-shirt or rice bag some poor children have made because they have no
            choice.

            Get a grip you people. It's just a freaking band, if a pretty ok one.

            -antti

            > For you to make extremely flippant, sweeping statements about someone
            > else's creativity, knowledge and hard work like you've done, with
            > seemingly no regard for the blood, sweat & tears (not to mention the
            > time and money) its taken, really really bloody annoys me...
            >
            > :(
            >
            > Nick
            >
            > --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, GAmoore@a... wrote:
            > >
            > > What is up with Y4k? I loved the last two Hybrid CD's so i bought
            > this one
            > > automatically. However, I am really disappointed with it. It seems
            > like some
            > > extra cr*p they had left over, and threw together over a few days.
            > Track 7 starts with a string melody that has a little potential, but
            > then its never heard
            > > after that. Its like they were too lazy to develop these simple
            > ideas into
            > > sophistcated pieces as they did with their other stuff. Its a shame
            > that just as they are taking off, they put out something like that
            > which can harm their
            > > reputation instead of build on it.

          • nickbower2000
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 24, 2005
              get a grip, right....of course I'm not mentally stable am I Antti?
              Thanks for reminding me on that one....(shakes head)

              I don't think what I've posted is totally uneccessary at all, Antti -
              i'm also making my opinion as a music lover and artist. I feel there
              is real value to music and those that make it should be give the
              respect they're due. Oh no, hang on though, music is just magically
              formed out of fresh air - it just falls out of the sky doesn't it? Its
              then taken, used and thrown away like a piece of worthless rubbish.
              Well Antti, I hate to buck the trend, but music does mean a lot to me
              and all the other people who I know who produce/Dj etc. That includes
              Hybrid. They may be just a band, but music is their livelihood.

              So, it comes naturally to me to think of the time and effort they've
              put into the music they make - as I know it just doesn't create itself!

              If you think this my comments are overblown, then so be it. Quite frankly I don't honestly care Antti, as I know what my own thoughts and values are.

              Thanks.

              :)

              Nick

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 24, 2005
                Music is taken, used and thrown away to be taken, used and thrown away
                again. That's EXACTLY how music and pretty much everything works. Music
                might be the livelihood to some, but it doesn't mean everyone needs to crawl
                down before these, magical people who make it. I do think all artists are
                very special people in what they do, but so are every other people who do
                whatever is their thing, collecting trash or whatever. Some bloke makes a
                half-arsed job fixing my car? I don't like him for that, even though he did
                a great job before. Some artist made a crappy album after a superb one that
                had a special meaning to me? Well, no love for me for that artist then.

                You make music Nick? That make you special and hence you are in a special
                position that enables you to appreciate the blood, tears and snot that goes
                into making every music out there? Good for you! Hopefully you make some
                special music which I can buy later on and use as I see fit, even if that
                means saying it's crap on a mailing list like this and then getting some
                other aspiring musicians hatred for not understanding how cruel a world is
                for music lovers and makers :)

                -antti

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 24, 2005
                  I do have to disagree with you about your comments regarding music,
                  Antti. Would you throw away a book? I certainly haven't. You read
                  them, pass them round, enjoy new subjects, respect the author and
                  admire how they've crafted a good read. There's both good and bad
                  books and we have whole libraries devoted to them. As far as I've been
                  brought up, they should be looked upon as valuable and cherished
                  pieces of material I find its exactly the same with music, why
                  shouldn't it be?

                  Agreed, there are pieces of music that are intended to be 'throwaway'
                  (some of the pap that clutters the charts). I'm not disagreeing with
                  that. But to label ALL music under that category I find a little
                  saddening to be honest.

                  I'm not asking everyone to bow and scrape before each and every artist
                  who creates an album they buy. Simply to *maybe* take a little time to
                  appreciate and respect the work thats taken to the stage they pick the
                  CD up from a store, pop the CD into their player and press 'play'.

                  Going back to the message that was posted about Y4K, referring to the material on Y4K as 'some extra cr*p they had left over, and threw together..' i just find pretty disrespectful. Why not just say "I didn't like the Cd, I don't think the tracks were the best Hybrid could have chosen because...etc"

                • Matt A.
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 24, 2005
                    Just to put in my own 2 cents...

                    Think about it like this. Are all athletes equal? Absolutely not. There are
                    athletes in any given sport that you can see are a cut above the rest. Music
                    is the same way. To say that all musicians should be lumped in the same
                    category puts the truly talented people (BT, Prince) in the same category
                    with the untalented ones (Britney Spears, Limp Bizkit, etc.).

                    By the way, I do think it's funny that this time Antti is the one defending
                    an individual's right to have their own opinion...

                    As for the Y4K CD (to try and bring this back on topic and out of the
                    flamewar it's degenerating into), I think it's fantastic. The opening 3
                    tracks are killer (I LOVE Dylan Rhymes' work and I think Richard File is
                    quite talented as well as evidenced by the most recent Unkle record) and I
                    think it stays pretty solid throughout. Gotta love the Lee Burridge & Andy
                    Page collab mixed with Chemical Brothers... Funky stuff.

                    Matt A.

                    > I do have to disagree with you about your comments regarding music,
                    > Antti. Would you throw away a book? I certainly haven't. You read
                    > them, pass them round, enjoy new subjects, respect the author and
                    > admire how they've crafted a good read. There's both good and bad
                    > books and we have whole libraries devoted to them. As far as I've been
                    > brought up, they should be looked upon as valuable and cherished
                    > pieces of material I find its exactly the same with music, why
                    > shouldn't it be?
                    >
                    > Agreed, there are pieces of music that are intended to be 'throwaway'
                    > (some of the pap that clutters the charts). I'm not disagreeing with
                    > that. But to label ALL music under that category I find a little
                    > saddening to be honest.
                    >
                    > I'm not asking everyone to bow and scrape before each and every artist
                    > who creates an album they buy. Simply to *maybe* take a little time to
                    > appreciate and respect the work thats taken to the stage they pick the
                    > CD up from a store, pop the CD into their player and press 'play'.
                    >
                    > Going back to the message that was posted about Y4K, referring to the
                    > material on Y4K as 'some extra cr*p they had left over, and threw
                    > together..' i just find pretty disrespectful. Why not just say "I didn't
                    > like the Cd, I don't think the tracks were the best Hybrid could have
                    > chosen because...etc"
                    >

                    > Nick
                  • Thomas Touzimsky
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 24, 2005
                      > Some artist made a crappy album after a superb
                      > one that had a special meaning to me? Well, no
                      > love for me for that artist then.

                      So you would get your car demolished because it won't start on a cold
                      winter morning and thereby disappointing you, making you to buy another
                      one? Jeez, I wan't to be that rich! ;-)

                      On an on-topic note, I think Hybrid's Y4K was by far the best electronic
                      related album in 2004.

                      ..::// Thomas Touzimsky

                      A fanatic is one who cannot change his mind
                      and will not change the subject.
                    • Antti Mutta
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 24, 2005
                        Well, what I tried to say with that "throwing them away" bit was actually
                        that music is still mostly something you listen to and appreciate, throw
                        away (not out the window or into the bin - except sometimes, but for
                        example, the cd shelf) and then one day listen to and appreciate again. It's
                        not necessary to blow the thing out proportion. I love some bands to death
                        right now, but it's hard me to feel for the pains these people go to produce
                        the music. I mean, as if they ever do it because HAVE TO, instead of doing
                        it because they LOVE TO. So in this sense, my right is to do with the end
                        product whatever I feel like. I can say it's crap, I can sleep with the CD
                        under my pillow but it's not going to change much.

                        I seriously think it's ok and will be always ok to voice your opinion
                        without a list of all the things you still do respect about the author. See,
                        even if I don't like Morning Sci-Fi myself, it doesn't mean I hate Hybrid as
                        people (though as if I knew them anyway to have an opinion), disrespect
                        their work and the hours they've put into it or don't understand how hard is
                        it to live in this world for two guys who make progressive dance music. I am
                        aware of all this, but I don't need to write it all down just to say "their
                        Y4K mix was pants, hopefully they're going to redeem it with their next
                        piece of work".

                        And just to clarify, I think their Y4K mix rocks my world. Big up mates,
                        it's one of the most atmospheric dj mixes made. And I include Northern
                        Exposure series and the likes there. And I understand it probably took some
                        days to make, maybe weeks or months. Thanks for your efforts so I can delve
                        myself into this awesome progressive and breaks fodder, which some of I
                        wouldn't be able to hear elsewhere (Knife Drawer). Thanks thanks! :)

                        -antti

                      • Alan Duval
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 24, 2005
                          Oh no you didn't diss on Britney :-o

                          Anyone else think it's kinda funny how much breakbeat is making it's
                          way into her music at the moment? As pop goes it's pretty enjoyable
                          these days. And 'Outrageous' is just plain sexy!

                          But anway, yeah, GO)+->

                          --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Matt A." <mantonich134156MI@c...>