ridiculously off topic, ridiculous story (was RE: OT Musical taste)

  • dave area
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 25, 2004
      i was on roadie detail for way out west a few weeks ago, and BY FAR the
      highlight of the 13+ hour drive from NYC to Chicago came at the end of
      middle-of-nowhere ohio, about to enter middle-of-nowhere indiana: possibly
      the best synth-fueled hair metal anthem of all time, Europe's "The Final
      Countdown". not sure which part caught me more off guard--hearing the song
      at all, or the fact that i still knew at least 2/3 of the words to it almost
      20 years later. long story short, the lighter jack was busted & i couldn't
      charge my iPod. yep, that's 13+ hours of rural american radio, in a truck,
      by myself.

      moral of the story? you rule, chris.

      to answer your next topic, i live in chicago too, i'm in grayarea, and i
      don't think that having never heard of us counts as a problem. we're at
      www.graylabel.net if you've got some time on your hands, and
      www.hybridized.org has a pair of old(er) live sets of ours. thanks again,
      andy.

      -davearea.

    • Alan Duval

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 30, 2004
          On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, dave area wrote:

          > i was on roadie detail for way out west a few weeks ago,

          Cool!

          > and BY FAR the
          > highlight of the 13+ hour drive from NYC to Chicago came at the end of
          > middle-of-nowhere ohio, about to enter middle-of-nowhere indiana:

          That is I think the third worst drive in the US. Second is I70 across
          western Kansas, and first is I80 across Iowa.

          > possibly
          > the best synth-fueled hair metal anthem of all time, Europe's "The Final
          > Countdown".

          VH1 called it the #1 most awesomely bad metal song ever. I wonder if
          anyone has done an electronic/dance/techno version of it?

          I nominate Hybrid to do it.

          > not sure which part caught me more off guard--hearing the song
          > at all, or the fact that i still knew at least 2/3 of the words to it almost
          > 20 years later. long story short, the lighter jack was busted & i couldn't
          > charge my iPod. yep, that's 13+ hours of rural american radio, in a truck,
          > by myself.

          Rural American radio. Now that's a treat. Most of the time it's
          a barren wasteland, but every once in a while you get something good.

          Actually your story reminds me of a time a friend and I were driving
          across Missouri (middle of nowhere again) at night in a huge rainstorm
          when Primus' "Too many Puppies" came on. I was totally floored. Turns
          out there was a college radio station nearby that we happened to pick up.
          Too bad we were out of range before long.

          > moral of the story? you rule, chris.

          You can't see it but I'm doing the universal metal sign right now. :)
          Man, I wish I still had my long hair!

          > to answer your next topic, i live in chicago too, i'm in grayarea,

          Oh, wow! I didn't even realize that until just now.
          YOU guys rule!
          <doing the universal metal sign again>

          > and i
          > don't think that having never heard of us counts as a problem. we're at
          > www.graylabel.net if you've got some time on your hands, and
          > www.hybridized.org has a pair of old(er) live sets of ours. thanks again,
          > andy.

          I have the sets from Hybridized. Great stuff! I'll check out your
          website when I get home from work.

        • Alan Duval
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 1, 2004
            --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, Chris Baugher <cbaugher_yahoo@b...>
            wrote:
            "The Final Countdown".

            VH1 called it the #1 most awesomely bad metal song ever. I wonder if
            anyone has done an electronic/dance/techno version of it?

            I nominate Hybrid to do it.

            AD> Then VH1 obviously don't know bad metal! The song 'Pretty
            Blonde Hair' springs to mind - I can't recall the band but the video
            featured a conspicuously dark-haired girl (probably the only "model"
            they could afford who would get her tits out). So, SO BAD. Anything
            worse I've blocked out.

            And calling Europe 'metal' is like calling Bon Jovi, Poison or
            Cutting Crew metal.

            There was an official Millennium remix of 'Final Countdown' overseen
            by Joey Tempest (pretty boy lead singer/songwriter) - it;'s
            very 'Thunderpuss', but it's not awful.

            To be honest 'Final Countdown' isn't a million miles away from 'War
            of the Worlds', so why not? An 'orchestralisation' of that keyboard
            line would be pretty cool, I think.

            wrote:
            You can't see it but I'm doing the universal metal sign right
            now. :) Man, I wish I still had my long hair!

            AD> Still got the hair (despite a trim last week) - I'll do the
            universal metal sign, too. Huh-huh, yeah-yeah, cool, etc.
          • Chris Baugher
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004
              On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Alan Duval wrote:

              > "The Final Countdown".
              >
              > VH1 called it the #1 most awesomely bad metal song ever. I wonder if
              > anyone has done an electronic/dance/techno version of it?
              >
              > AD> Then VH1 obviously don't know bad metal! The song 'Pretty
              > Blonde Hair' springs to mind - I can't recall the band but the video
              > featured a conspicuously dark-haired girl (probably the only "model"
              > they could afford who would get her tits out). So, SO BAD. Anything
              > worse I've blocked out.

              Well, there are of course much worse songs out there, but I think they
              limited their selection to only songs that were somewhat popular. I
              didn't see Voivod or Crimson Glory on the list.

              > And calling Europe 'metal' is like calling Bon Jovi, Poison or
              > Cutting Crew metal.

              Again, it's probably more appropriate to call it pop-metal.

              > There was an official Millennium remix of 'Final Countdown' overseen
              > by Joey Tempest (pretty boy lead singer/songwriter) - it;'s
              > very 'Thunderpuss', but it's not awful.

              A remix? Did they record new material?

              > To be honest 'Final Countdown' isn't a million miles away from 'War
              > of the Worlds', so why not?

              No, it isn't really.

              > An 'orchestralisation' of that keyboard line would be pretty cool, I
              > think.

              Either that or a more updated synth sound. Part of the problem with that
              song is that it has so much of the characteristic 80's sound. It
              definitely doesn't age very well. The main melody is very catchy though
              and with some modernization I bet it could work. It also might be
              interesting to use female vocals instead, to help get away from the "metal
              scream" style. (I do like the metal scream though:)

              > You can't see it but I'm doing the universal metal sign right
              > now. :) Man, I wish I still had my long hair!
              >
              > AD> Still got the hair (despite a trim last week) - I'll do the
              > universal metal sign, too. Huh-huh, yeah-yeah, cool, etc.

              Heh-heh, These guys rule! They RULE!