Hybrid @ Tangled All-nighter

  • Jitesh Mistry
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 30, 2004
      Normally I'd be the one wanting to tell you a story of events when I go out
      clubbing, but this isn't one of those times. I don't wish to. I'd rather
      have somebody else tell the story. It's not because I didn't enjoy
      myself, because I did. I'd rather hear it from a different perspective
      than my own.

      Later,
      Jits.
      Seeing the past as he travels into the future
      Emotions of three quarters ago awakened again
      Whilst the disc turns, power subdued only by power
      His power wanes as he sees the dawn
      The dark mind conquered by the irrationalities of life.
    • nickbower2000
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
        Looks like i'll have to do it then (Lol)...

        Well, all-in-all it was a great set by the boys in one of the best
        (most intimate) environments that both they and the crowd could ask
        for. Its clear to see that Mike and Chris love Tangled and the people
        love them back, equally. As the clocks went back one hour during
        their set we squeezed an extra hour out of them. ;)

        Easily one of the best sets I've heard Mike And Chris play over the
        years, but then they always do come across so much better in smaller
        clubs. Don't get me wrong I loved the times they played Fabric for
        the sheer power of the soundsystem and the large crowd, but playing
        in a smaller room to a smaller crowd just seems so much more intense,
        with the music far more involving. Give me a small club and filthy
        breaks any day of the week.

        Mike and Chris played a predominantly breakbeat set (being that they
        only played in the Breaks Room and not the Main Room as well). They
        combined a mixture of new favourites and older tracks. Far, far too
        good to describe all the night (plus the fact that too much vodka has
        probably erased some of my memories- lol), however a few highlights
        for me were:

        - The crowd singing along word-for-word to Adam's vocal/guitar
        version of 'If I Survive'...almost brought a tear to the eye I can
        tell you :)

        - The fantasically speaker rumbling remix of Goldie Presents The
        Metalheadz - Inner City Life (Breaks Booty Remix). A real fave of
        mine at the moment.

        - Hacker remix of Chemical Bros 'Hey Boy, Hey Girl'

        - BT's Fibonnacci Sequence (and you hear this played out *how* often?
        lol)

        - Mike playing the last track as a tribute to John Peel - The Sex
        Pistols - 'Pretty Vacant'

        Nice to see those people who Ally and I bumped into inside Tangled
        and to those who we didn't get to see - there's always next time!

        Cheers all

        :)

        Nick

        --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, Jitesh Mistry <j.mistry-2@s...>

        =====

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
          I'll tell you what freaked me out about the night out.

          I managed to sniff out Hi-Fi Bugs - The Knife Drawer [Ryeland Allison Mix]
          as soon as it was x-faded into the mix... it made me realise afterwards
          that I must've been listening to Hybrid's Y4K a little too much... :D I
          managed to do the same for John Creamer & Stephane K Feat. Oliver Twisted
          - I Love You [Hybrid's Claustrophobic Remix] which was straight after.

          Didn't manage it for the 3rd track in the sequence in the set, the Hybrid
          remix of Grayarea because it doesn't kick off with any beat. Good thing
          Hybrid petered out a little at that point because my legs couldn't
          withstand the torture of bouncing to such wicked choons any longer :P.

          I took a camera to Tangled (I don't have a digicam, not rich enough...), so
          when I get the pics developed and stuff... I'll put them up on internet
          perhaps.

          Was chuffed to hear Fibonacci Sequence... it's such a choon when it gets
          going.

          Later,
          Jits.
          Feeling rather sore still from that belter of a night out, but nicely
          rested nonetheless and de-stressed from the rigours of last week.

          P.S. I'm unable to shake that Plumps tune out of my head. "The Soul
          Vibrates..." EEK! HELP ME!!!!
        • ally@hybrid-group.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
            Great night, as always at Tangled.

            Very busy.

            Very hot.

            Terrific set (almost died of joy when Mike played the I Love You
            remix).

            > Nice to see those people who Ally and I bumped into inside Tangled
            > and to those who we didn't get to see - there's always next time!

            Jitesh, lovely to see you. I think I saw someone with a Hybrid t-
            shirt on. A few people asked me who I was and seemed to know
            me...hi, if that was you. Apart from that, I was stood with Mike
            and Chris for the last half hour or their set, generally chatting
            and shouting my trademark "c'mon Hybrid" at full volume when the
            music went a little quiet :)

            I now have my usual loss of voice.

            Ally
          • djjayu
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004
              So was that one of you guys wearing the black t-shirt with the 'I'm
              still awake' lyrics on the back? It's really good to hear about
              other people's feelings on the night and what their top tracks were,
              jogging some very good memories and slowly eliminating the usual
              short-term amnesia . Although, thanks to Jitesh, I've now also
              got 'the soul vibrates' constantly running through my head as
              well!!!

              For me though, the top moment had to be REM's 'The great beyond',
              probably my favourite Hybrid remix but one I hadn't heard them play
              out before. Sasha's remix of Ulrich Schnaus' 'On my own' hit the
              spot as well, along with Meat katie's rerub of 'Flashdance', Hybrid's
              re-edit of Unkle's 'Eye for an eye', Forme's dark and dirty 'Let it
              all out' and pretty much everything that Nick has already mentioned.
              It was a valiant effort by Tangled's own Steve Thorpe to keep the
              momentum going after Mike had wrapped things up, starting
              with 'F.E.A.R'. and Ils' 'Music' (my mate knows what i'm talking
              about when I say the Sky Sports track at last!!!), but, like me,
              everyone seemed to just look down at their legs in disbelief at how
              heavy they'd suddenly become and slowly head downstairs!!!

              The only questions now are:
              What happened to my vote for Hybrid in the DJ magazine top 100?
              When are they going to do a Radio 1 essential mix?
              When are they back at Tangled?

              I guess I should get back to work anyway and look forward to
              another 'soft food' lunch!!!

              James

              --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "ally@h..." <ally@h...> wrote:

              > Great night, as always at Tangled.
              >
              > Very busy.
              >
              > Very hot.
              >
              > Terrific set (almost died of joy when Mike played the I Love You
              > remix).
              >
              > > Nice to see those people who Ally and I bumped into inside
              Tangled
              > > and to those who we didn't get to see - there's always next time!
              >
              > Jitesh, lovely to see you. I think I saw someone with a Hybrid t-
              > shirt on. A few people asked me who I was and seemed to know
              > me...hi, if that was you. Apart from that, I was stood with Mike
              > and Chris for the last half hour or their set, generally chatting
              > and shouting my trademark "c'mon Hybrid" at full volume when the
              > music went a little quiet :)
              >
              > I now have my usual loss of voice.
              >
              > Ally
            • nickbower2000
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004
                --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "djjayu" <jamesupton@h...> wrote:

                > So was that one of you guys wearing the black t-shirt with the 'I'm
                > still awake' lyrics on the back? > James

                No, that wasn't me, although he is a big Hybrid fan (hence the
                homemade Hybrid tee). I was the one wearing the yellow t-shirt with
                red writing, stood near or around the DJ booth.

                :)

                Nick
              • djjayu
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004
                  Right. To be honest I don't remember a huge amount about the
                  individual people there, although someing about a yellow and red t-
                  shirt rings a bell...

                  I was pretty much at the front most of the time myself (bright red t-
                  shirt, apparently looking a bit mullered). Maybe I'll take a bit
                  easier next time. I might remember it a bit more then...

                  James

                • ally@hybrid-group.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 3, 2004
                    > > So was that one of you guys wearing the black t-shirt with
                    the 'I'm
                    > > still awake' lyrics on the back? > James

                    Hehe...that was Gazz. He's a big Hybrid fan, although not on the
                    list. He's been going to see Hybrid almost as long as me and always
                    wears his home-made tributes to Hybrid.