Hybrid y4k.

  • brknoze
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 20, 2004
      So what do we think guys? Nice to see Orbital on here, really like
      the mix, though I don't know, as a whole, are we lacking a little?
      It seems a little more in the ilk of Morning Sci-Fi than the recent
      sets on hybridized?

      More of a armchair album I'm thinking, though it does flow very
      nicely. Still can't make much of it when hunched over a keyboard in
      the office with shite headphones.
    • ally@hybrid-group.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 20, 2004
        I would tell everyone to NOT let your first listen by on a bit of a
        crap stereo / work speakers / headphones. I did this and the CD
        didn't do anything for me.

        I then put it on in my car and absolutely loved it. I think it's a
        bit of a night-time CD....quite dark and dirty.

        I can honestly say, with no (or little) bias, I think it's
        fantastic. Love it to bits.

        Listen out for Hybrid's 'In Good We Trust' - it's only just over 2
        mins long (soundtrack edit), so I'm hoping we'll hear a longer
        version at some point. Yes, it's a bit like Finished Symphony (epic,
        orchestra)...but it's gorgeous.

        I've had Gus Gus' 'David' in my head for a while now. I'm loving
        that track. I'm very happy with their track selection overall.

        In summary, I don't dance as much as I used to at clubs these
        days....but this CD makes me want to dance all night.

        Ally

        --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "brknoze" <brknoze@y...> wrote:
        > So what do we think guys? Nice to see Orbital on here, really like
        > the mix, though I don't know, as a whole, are we lacking a little?
        > It seems a little more in the ilk of Morning Sci-Fi than the
        recent
        > sets on hybridized?
        >
        > More of a armchair album I'm thinking, though it does flow very
        > nicely. Still can't make much of it when hunched over a keyboard
        in
        > the office with shite headphones.
      • Simon Jones
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 20, 2004
          It's a fairly decent album. With enough high points and surprises to
          maintain interest, but does well to give a snapshot of what the boys are
          capable of, even if its not necessarily a full on club album.

          >So what do we think guys? Nice to see Orbital on here, really like the mix,
          >though I don't know, as a whole, are we lacking a little?
          >It seems a little more in the ilk of Morning Sci-Fi than the recent sets on
          >hybridized?
          >
          >More of a armchair album I'm thinking, though it does flow very nicely.
          >Still can't make much of it when hunched over a keyboard in the office with
          >shite headphones.
        • Davin Greenwell
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 20, 2004
            On Sep 20, 2004, at 9:11 AM, ally@... wrote:
            > I've had Gus Gus' 'David' in my head for a while now. I'm loving
            > that track. I'm very happy with their track selection overall.

            That luke chable remix is awesome. It's totally infectious.

            Davin
          • moose_pig
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 22, 2004
              --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "brknoze" <brknoze@y...> wrote:
              > So what do we think guys? Nice to see Orbital on here, really like
              > the mix, though I don't know, as a whole, are we lacking a little?
              > It seems a little more in the ilk of Morning Sci-Fi than the recent
              > sets on hybridized?
              >
              > More of a armchair album I'm thinking, though it does flow very
              > nicely. Still can't make much of it when hunched over a keyboard in
              > the office with shite headphones.

              I love it! Definitely needs to be heard on a big-ish system with clear
              bottom end reproduction.. I listened to it at home several times and
              then in my car, fantastic!

              Each to their own I guess!

              --
              Bod
            • Philip Hallam
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 23, 2004
                I just got it today and I have to say it flows very nicely indeed! It
                feels like a dark mix at first then seems to lighten up. I agree with
                what Ally said about how it makes you want to get up and dance! It has
                a slight funky feel to it :D

                Althought Blackout y4k edit is a bit of cheap edit it is still a
                brilliant listen. Enough to say that its even better than the REM
                version! I'm guessing Hybrid wanted to put the REM remix on the y4k
                but as it wasnt allowed by REM they just got rid of the REM vocals and
                put on Blackout's vocals and strings.

                > I love it! Definitely needs to be heard on a big-ish system with clear
                > bottom end reproduction.. I listened to it at home several times and
                > then in my car, fantastic!
                >
                > Each to their own I guess!
                >
                > --
                > Bod
              • Chaz Schlueter
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 24, 2004
                  REM version? am I missing something?

                  --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, Philip Hallam <phallam@g...> wrote:
                  > I just got it today and I have to say it flows very nicely indeed! It
                  > feels like a dark mix at first then seems to lighten up. I agree with
                  > what Ally said about how it makes you want to get up and dance! It has
                  > a slight funky feel to it :D
                  >
                  > Althought Blackout y4k edit is a bit of cheap edit it is still a
                  > brilliant listen. Enough to say that its even better than the REM
                  > version! I'm guessing Hybrid wanted to put the REM remix on the y4k
                  > but as it wasnt allowed by REM they just got rid of the REM vocals and
                  > put on Blackout's vocals and strings.
                  >

                  > > I love it! Definitely needs to be heard on a big-ish system with clear
                  > > bottom end reproduction.. I listened to it at home several times and
                  > > then in my car, fantastic!
                  > >
                  > > Each to their own I guess!
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > > Bod
                • James Warren
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 24, 2004
                    Listen to the Hybrid remix of REM's 'The Great Beyond'. You'll notice a
                    striking resemblance to the remix of Blackout!

                    Need a few more listens to get my head round it, but it seems a real shame
                    that the Blackout remix means the REM mix is consigned to the rarity pile. I
                    loved that mix.

                    James

                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 24, 2004
                      > Need a few more listens to get my head round it, but it seems a
                      real shame
                      > that the Blackout remix means the REM mix is consigned to the
                      rarity pile. I
                      > loved that mix.

                      I don't think they decided to ditch the REM mix in favour of doing
                      the Blackout mix. They'll just find it very hard to licence the REM
                      mix, so they might as well put their work to good use.

                      I'm off to Sheffield in an hour or so...if anyone's down there from the list, have a wicked time :)

                      Ally
                    • Chaz Schlueter
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 24, 2004
                        Oh, it must be the new remix of blackout becaus eth eold one doenst sound a thing like
                        it...

                        and are you SURE that its because of Blackout being included that Great Beyond didnt
                        make it onto Y4K?

                        I think its the other way around.....
                        Chaz

                        --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "James Warren" <james@w...> wrote:
                        > Listen to the Hybrid remix of REM's 'The Great Beyond'. You'll notice a
                        > striking resemblance to the remix of Blackout!
                        >
                        > Need a few more listens to get my head round it, but it seems a real shame
                        > that the Blackout remix means the REM mix is consigned to the rarity pile. I
                        > loved that mix.
                        >
                        > James
                        >
                        > >REM version? am I missing something?
                      • Andy Grundman
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 24, 2004
                          In the recent KCRW interview, they said REM declined to release the remix.
                          http://www.hybridized.org/sets/?id=177

                          -Andy

                          Chaz Schlueter wrote:
                          > Oh, it must be the new remix of blackout becaus eth eold one doenst sound a thing like
                          > it...
                          >
                          > and are you SURE that its because of Blackout being included that Great Beyond didnt
                          > make it onto Y4K?
                          >
                          > I think its the other way around.....
                          > Chaz
                        • James Warren
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 24, 2004
                            Yes sorry. Ally's point was what I clumsily failed to make. It seems as
                            though REM weren't happy about releasing the remix. That's not to say Hybrid
                            wouldn't like it released.

                            Because much of the REM mix now appears in a slightly different guise on the
                            Blackout remix, I assumed Hybrid thought 'The Great Beyond' will never see
                            the light of day in any official release so we'll use some of the material
                            on something else.

                            James

                          • CPfaff17@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 24, 2004
                              the new blackout mix is sooooo the original great beyond remix!
                            • georgiou1_1999
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 25, 2004
                                I loved it .. dark moody and a traveller ... I transfered the album
                                onto my pda so that I could listen to it whilst on the bus ... I
                                soon found myself nodding my head in time to the music.

                                Very cool ... a high point definitely.

                                Mario
                              • David Nichols
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 27, 2004
                                  Chaz

                                  I don't think that was quite what James was saying but in view of
                                  recent messages to say that we are now very unlikely to ever get our
                                  hands on the REM remix (another So Pure - me thinks!), that may be
                                  why Blackout is on Y4K rather than The Great Beyond.... but I have
                                  nothing against Blackout though, especially this remix!!

                                  Anyway, I love the Y4K album but particularly like the additional
                                  work (additional baseline and breaks) added over My Kingdom - when
                                  played LOUD! Cool ;)

                                  Cheers
                                  David

                                  --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Chaz Schlueter" <chazsch@b...>
                                  wrote:
                                  > Oh, it must be the new remix of blackout becaus eth eold one doenst
                                  sound a thing like
                                  > it...
                                  >
                                  > and are you SURE that its because of Blackout being included that
                                  Great Beyond didnt
                                  > make it onto Y4K?
                                  >
                                  > I think its the other way around.....
                                  > Chaz
                                • Chaz Schlueter
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 27, 2004
                                    is there an email we can blast REM for not releasing/clearing it? I am good for 100
                                    emails...
                                    some people have no vision if their pride gets in the way...

                                    chaz

                                    --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, Andy Grundman <andy@h...> wrote:
                                    > In the recent KCRW interview, they said REM declined to release the remix.
                                    > http://www.hybridized.org/sets/?id=177
                                    >
                                    > -Andy
                                    >
                                    > Chaz Schlueter wrote:
                                    > > Oh, it must be the new remix of blackout becaus eth eold one doenst sound a thing
                                    like
                                    > > it...
                                    > >
                                    > > and are you SURE that its because of Blackout being included that Great Beyond didnt
                                    > > make it onto Y4K?
                                    > >
                                    > > I think its the other way around.....
                                    > > Chaz
                                  • Andy Grundman
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 27, 2004
                                      Well to be fair, it wasn't an authorized remix. Chris recorded the
                                      vocal sample off of the radio. Maybe REM just doesn't have an ear for
                                      good music. ;) Could be more of a business thing really... some money
                                      would likely had to have changed hands in order for them to release it.

                                      -Andy

                                      Chaz Schlueter wrote:
                                      > is there an email we can blast REM for not releasing/clearing it? I am good for 100
                                      > emails...
                                      > some people have no vision if their pride gets in the way...
                                      >
                                      > chaz
                                      >
                                      > --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, Andy Grundman <andy@h...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      >>In the recent KCRW interview, they said REM declined to release the remix.
                                      >>http://www.hybridized.org/sets/?id=177
                                      >>
                                      >>-Andy
                                      >>
                                      >>Chaz Schlueter wrote:
                                      >>
                                      >>>Oh, it must be the new remix of blackout becaus eth eold one doenst sound a thing
                                      >
                                      > like
                                      >
                                      >>>it...
                                      >>>
                                      >>>and are you SURE that its because of Blackout being included that Great Beyond didnt
                                      >>>make it onto Y4K?
                                      >>>
                                      >>>I think its the other way around.....
                                      >>>Chaz
                                    • Jason Pullin
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Sep 28, 2004
                                        --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "georgiou1_1999" <mario@g...> wrote:
                                        > I loved it .. dark moody and a traveller ... I transfered the album
                                        > onto my pda so that I could listen to it whilst on the bus ... I
                                        > soon found myself nodding my head in time to the music.
                                        >
                                        > Very cool ... a high point definitely.
                                        >
                                        > Mario

                                        I love the mix too, it really great apart from that one track:
                                        ummm, Easy B - found the gonzo. i think that track gets very
                                        repetitive and boring. i find it hard to listen to all of it. But
                                        other than that, excellent mix. it hasn't moved from my CD player
                                        yet...

                                        -Jason
                                      • nickbower2000
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Sep 30, 2004
                                          --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Pullin" <potentmonkey@y...>
                                          > I love the mix too, it really great apart from that one track:
                                          > ummm, Easy B - found the gonzo. i think that track gets very
                                          > repetitive and boring. i find it hard to listen to all of it. But
                                          > other than that, excellent mix. it hasn't moved from my CD player
                                          > yet...
                                          >
                                          > -Jason

                                          All in all I love the Y4K album, actually i'm in danger of wearing it
                                          out. It has a great, moody start pushing through to tearing, filthy
                                          breaks and progressively becomes lighter towards the end. All of this
                                          with some Hybrid magic sprinkled on top...lots of tweaks, fx and
                                          textures added. I liked it straight from the first listen, but it
                                          really is quite a grower!

                                          I like all the tracks - including Easy B - Found the Gonzo. It
                                          reminds me of no end of late 80's/early 90's rave tunes that used
                                          many of the sounds included (e.g The Scientist - The Bee etc...so
                                          there's nothing not to like about the track. Brings a smile to my
                                          face)

                                          :)

                                          Nick