Re: [Hybrid] Hybrid Ringtones

  • Pev
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 3 2:17 AM
      ally@... wrote:
      > Really????
      >
      > Cascade is a track from HybridSoundSystem.com - I don't think any of
      > us have heard the full version. I'm not sure what they're doing with
      > the track.
      >
      > I've been wanting a Hybrid ringtone for ages. C'mon...one of us must
      > be able to make a decent one?!
      It's not that hard ; anyone here into production with a PC can download
      the nokia ringtone developer kit from forum.nokia.com that includes a
      VST that provides the same poly sounds as on the phones. Very easy to
      knock out a tone from your favourite sequencer.

      FYI, I just got a Nokia 7610 a few weeks ago, and just bunging in
      an MP3 works great as a ringtone. I've put together a few edits that
      I'm using at the moment that sound wicked!

      ~Pev

      (Working in France at the moment and very bored. Anyone else on the
      list in the Paris area?)
    • Brett Kennelly
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 3 2:29 AM
        Not just that, but mid files are like 20kb in size, where an mp3 is 4-5MB...quite a substantial difference in size for storage on a mobile fone...

        > besides the greed of the companies, i suppose there is also the stupidity
        > (lack of a better word) of the users.
        > i was wondering why i was asked to work on a polyphonic midi version of
        > Enter Sandman. the source midi i was given was pretty screwed up. without
        > the vocals it sounds like another song altogether. maybe they should call
        > it ringtone-karaoke. besides, the guitars, they reminded me of the midi
        > soundtrack from Doom.
        >
        > apparently there were people willing to pay for it.
        >

        > but then again if i have to choose between the current midi synths on the
        > phones, and the beepers from a few years back, i'll choose midi.
        > sure, it sounds like crap, but it's fun when you're able to have your very
        > own polyphonic tones (that are more than just beeps).
      • Brett Kennelly
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 3 2:31 AM
          My fone has software which enables me to send mid files via bluetooth to my fone...I just dl free tones from midi sites. Simple (I have a nokia 6230)

          > ive never payed for a ringtone... i have nextel.. i got a nice local >webjal and hacked my phone
        • touzimsky
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 3 3:52 AM
            > Mods used to be good for dance/techno tunes. They used to be big in
            > the Amiga era. From what I understand, a mod file consisted of a
            > number of samples (which could be pretty good quality), and then a
            > playlist for those samples. I'm suprised these were never used as
            > ringtones.

            Yes, much like a four-track sequencer, but with .wav/.iff samples rather
            than MIDI commands.

            WinAmp should be able to play those as well. If someone's interested, I
            could dig out some nice examples of what the mod scene is capable of.
            :-)

            ..::// Thomas Touzimsky

            A fanatic is one who cannot change his mind
            and will not change the subject.
          • captain_squirrell
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 4 12:58 AM
              I've got MP3 ringtones on my phone :o)
              I've currently got 'Baby Got Back' by Sir Mix-a-lot!